2016 College Football Coaching Changes Thread ...

dfwabel

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ninersdd said:

Minnesota job has just opened up in wake of the players protest.

AD Mark Coyle also didn't hire Cleays, so it's much easier to fire him

The message which the players received:

C1R-vCNUkAA2DqV_zps2a56u0ur.jpg

Message credit: Mark Burns (Scout)

20 hours ago, dfwabel said:

AD Mark Coyle also didn't hire Cleays, so it's much easier to fire him

The message which the players received:

C1R-vCNUkAA2DqV_zps2a56u0ur.jpg

Message credit: Mark Burns (Scout)

Would Chip Kelly take a chance on this? With Lovie Smith taking the job at Illinois at the last second I feel like Kelly taking over a team like Minnesota he could build that team into a competitor in the league pretty quick. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

8 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Would Chip Kelly take a chance on this? With Lovie Smith taking the job at Illinois at the last second I feel like Kelly taking over a team like Minnesota he could build that team into a competitor in the league pretty quick. 

Chip loathes recruiting.  Chip would also have to do a lot of fundraising. The athletic department is in a $180M capital campaign and is like 60% done and there is a OCR/Title IX investigation which started in 2015, unrelated to what got Cleays fired.

Minnesota is a pretty bad job.  They are the last of the original B1G teams to have been in the Rose Bowl.  Their last appearance was 1962!

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/1/6/14174360/pj-fleck-minnesota-hired-wmu-coach

SBNation reporting PJ Fleck is the new head coach at Minnesota. After seeing Les Miles discussed as a possible replacement I think Fleck is the better choice. He's younger, has an offensive style that's closer to what Minnesota was running and he'll be able to pick his QB as Leidner is gone. I wonder if Les would consider an assistant coach job in the NFL, though sitting out and waiting for another head coaching job might be better for him. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Joe Moorehead and Ken Niumatalolo turned them down.

He took a bad job, but in a division in which he could go 8-4 like Cleays, depending on who you play from the East.

This year's 9-4 record was their just the third time they've gotten nine wins since 1905! 

The Big Ten West is a very weak division and I could see Fleck winning it.  There really is no very good team there right now.  

Minnesota was 9-4 but they had a pretty nice crossover (though Penn State, of course, turned out to be better than expected).  Still 9 wins is pretty rare for a program that's been struggling since about the time the Vikings started.  B1G Network was discussing this as a parallel to Glen Mason, who won about 8 games every year.  Minnesota wanted to do better so they canned him and hired Tim Brewster, which turned out to be a disaster.  Time will tell whether good enough should have been good enough with a 9-win coach.  ADs tend to want their own guy, though.  

I don't think it's that bad of a job.  They are just shy of being a real player in the West.  Wisconsin's going to take a step back next year, Iowa's always Jekyl and Hyde, and Nebraska's not dominant by any stretch.  Minnesota's knocking on the door.  We'll see whether this is the guy that can get them there.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1 minute ago, rickyISking said:

Hopefully he leaves Row the Boat at WMU, or he retires it.

PJ Fleck is too good to be a third option, he should have waited a year.

There are over 10,000 lakes in Minnesota...

But it would be cheesy to bring that slogan over.

I was thinking he may have wanted to be patient and try to get a better job in a year or two...but then again, if WMU had gone 7-6 next year, his door may have been closed.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

12 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

The Big Ten West is a very weak division and I could see Fleck winning it.  There really is no very good team there right now.  

Minnesota was 9-4 but they had a pretty nice crossover (though Penn State, of course, turned out to be better than expected).  Still 9 wins is pretty rare for a program that's been struggling since about the time the Vikings started.  B1G Network was discussing this as a parallel to Glen Mason, who won about 8 games every year.  Minnesota wanted to do better so they canned him and hired Tim Brewster, which turned out to be a disaster.  Time will tell whether good enough should have been good enough with a 9-win coach.  ADs tend to want their own guy, though.  

I don't think it's that bad of a job.  They are just shy of being a real player in the West.  Wisconsin's going to take a step back next year, Iowa's always Jekyl and Hyde, and Nebraska's not dominant by any stretch.  Minnesota's knocking on the door.  We'll see whether this is the guy that can get them there.

It's difficult to really recruit talent there since the state is talent thin.

He may need to go to the JuCo route.

Next season could have numerous better gigs open: Notre Dame, Arizona, Arizona State, UCLA, Texas A&M, Tennessee, Ole Miss

Archived