What Are Your Superstitions?

PrimalCookie

Ah, superstitions. Everyone has at least one. Whether it be having your lucky snack at the start of halftime, or wearing your lucky jersey every gameday, or sitting in your lucky chair at home, these ridiculous "lucky" things have existed in sports practically since sports were made. So, what are your superstitions regarding your favorite teams? I'll start it off by saying...

During the 2009 NBA playoffs, I went to a game wearing black and grey socks. Not that much, right? Yeah, well, we won, and the next couple games we lost when I wasn't wearing them. I accidentally wore the exact same socks again to another game, and guess what? We won again. I decided it must be the socks (because I, TBH, wanted a traditional superstition for the Magic because I still didn't have one) and wore those stupid black and grey socks throughout the entirety of the 2009 playoffs. We made the Finals and I wore those socks to Game 3, which we won. Ever since, I've worn black and grey socks (with only slight differences between pairs) to every Magic game. 

ExJworW.png

Interesting question. I was wearing a white Real Madrid shirt during the 2013/14 Champions League final (which I was watching at home). Atleti scored at the 35' or so and dominated almost the whole match. Well, at the 75', almost as a joke, I decided to change my shirt for the 2011/12 red shirt (in Spain red is supposed to be a good luck colour), then Sergio Ramos scored miraculously at the 93' and Real Madrid won the match in extras. Since then I wear that red shirt for every important Real Madrid match.

When I was playing soccer last year I put my socks on the wrong foot, Nike actually say L/R. We won big so I had to make sure I wore them that way. We won 4 straight. Then I had to replace my shin guards and we lost 7-3 with the new ones. I gave them away after we lost two more times in blow out losses.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I wear an appropriate jersey whenever my team is on TV. Hockey jerseys in 90 degree weather are not nice, but I'll wear my Penguins jersey every possible day and just drink a lot. In softball, I have the same approach at the plate and tap my bat in a certain pattern before each pitch. Those are the only ones I can think of at this moment.

The only time I did anything like that was last season for Arkansas State football. They started the season off in embarrassing fashion going 0-4, including a loss to an FCS school. When they beat Georgia Southern to get to 1-4, I made sure to wear the hat and shirt I wore that day. Which was unfortunate because I didn't really like the hat all that much, and the t-shirt said "Put in work" on it, but the spacing on it was kind of bad so it kind of looked like it said "Putin work" like some broken English Russian propaganda. I don't usually wear that shirt when I'm out in public now because I always have people either asking me why it says "Putin work" or they stare at it a second before telling me they thought it said that. 

Anyway, wore this same shirt and hat combo through most of the conference season because the Red Wolves almost went unbeaten.They ended up losing in the second-to-last game of the season, so I gave up the combo, which was fine because they won the rest of their games, including the bowl game. 

Archived