MLB | San Francisco Giants Primary Logo Revision

Go Red Sox!

59 minutes ago, NoE38 said:

Great upgrade. Definitely looks more professional. Only thing I'm not 100% with is the stitches. I feel like they should still be Orange. Other then that, it's perfect.

Thanks, NoE38.

Since the wordmark has no (gold) drop shadows anymore, but an orange outline, it wouldn't separate anymore from orange stitches. That's why they're black now. It just looks cleaner this way.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

But orange is closer to red and stitches are red. I think you could have gotten away with keeping them orange. 

I like the dot-matrix shading of the Giants' logo, actually.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

This is a good clean-up of the current primary logo, but I have to agree with the other posters in saying that orange stitches do look better.

I’m also one of those fans who dislikes the Giants’ primary logo, as I’ve long found it to be bland. Something that reflects local architecture (risky for a relocated team, but oh well), has a unique shape, or is more engaging than “wordmark in front of a baseball” would be ideal.

Add me to the crowd that wants to see orange stitches.

7 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

This is a good clean-up of the current primary logo, but I have to agree with the other posters in saying that orange stitches do look better.

I’m also one of those fans who dislikes the Giants’ primary logo, as I’ve long found it to be bland. Something that reflects local architecture (risky for a relocated team, but oh well), has a unique shape, or is more engaging than “wordmark in front of a baseball” would be ideal.

For such a historical team with iconic uniforms, the Giants really haven't ever had much of a logo.

Something along these lines could work if executed much better.

7352_san_francisco_giants-alternate-2015

I do think this is a cleaner version of Giants current logo. Whether it's better or not...I think it's a lateral move. It doesn't fix what bugs me the most about San Francisco's logo which is that you have three different arcs (baseball stitching + script) and none of them match each other. The only other wordmark on ball team is the Twins and they avoid this problem by having their script run at an angle in between the two arcs for balance. (Didn't count the Yankees because they're less wordmark on ball and more wordmark is ball)

tumblr_p3eoj4gyq71ufhi8uo1_1280.png

DU2NX7nW0AAhqtw.jpg

Thanks, guys.

This wasn't intended to be a San Francisco Giants primary mark rebrand, but just a cleanup to get rid of superfluous parts of the logo. I absolutely agree that this very mark is lightyears away from being a great logo. Yet, it has been one of the more recognizable marks in MLB since 1983.

Never argue with an idiot! They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.––George Carlin

Archived