Who officiates inter-conference college football games?

TBGKon

Myself an some of my co-workers were discussing this moring how officials are chosen for out of conference college football games. Case in point, this past weekend's Notre Dame-Mich. State game. I assume the Big Ten conference handles it, but since the home team is independent, what is the protocol?

Just looking for some insight, thanks for the assitance.

Myself an some of my co-workers were discussing this moring how officials are chosen for out of conference college football games. Case in point, this past weekend's Notre Dame-Mich. State game. I assume the Big Ten conference handles it, but since the home team is independent, what is the protocol?

Just looking for some insight, thanks for the assitance.

Yes, I thought it was a Big Ten officiating team also, because Charlie Weis was complaining about the officiating in the Michigan-ND game, and said that they have to worry about them (Big Ten Officials) again next week in the MSU game. However during that game I saw one of the first down sticks being held buy a man in a Big East shirt, so It may be mixed, or I am just blind.

saBS.png

It depends on what the schools agree to when they schedule these games.

Some will agree to using the home team's conference officials (usually when it's a home-and-home matchup that involves cross-country matchups), while others will use the visiting team's conference officials (regional home-and-home matchups, or annual interconference matchups). If it's a one-time matchup, they'll usually go with the home team's conference.

When ND signed their 20-year deal to play Michigan, Michigan insisted on having Big Ten officials at both Michigan and ND. Notre Dame has road team's officials at home games and I think on road games it's a neutral conference but I could be wrong.

The Big East provides the chain gang and replay guys though at ND.

6fQjS3M.png

When ND signed their 20-year deal to play Michigan, Michigan insisted on having Big Ten officials at both Michigan and ND. Notre Dame has road team's officials at home games and I think on road games it's a neutral conference but I could be wrong.

Well that would explain why I saw the Big East vest on the chain gang.

saBS.png

I meant to mention this in my other post, but there are times when you'll have one conference staffing the officials, and the other conference supplies the staffing for the replay booth and chain gang. In the past few years, when UGA has played at Georgia Tech, it'll be an ACC crew in the replay booth, but an SEC crew on the field.

Archived