Saskatoon Blades

rtrich11

The Saskatoon Blades is a minor league team in a small league, but I still wanted to take a stab (not pun intended) at coming up with a new logo for them. Right now they use "Blade" to mean "ice skate blade" and I thought it would look tougher if it meant "sword."

I am using their old colors of blue and yellow for more contrast than what they have now with dark blue/medium blue/grey.

Blades_Richards.jpg

The Saskatoon Blades is a minor league team in a small league, but I still wanted to take a stab (not pun intended) at coming up with a new logo for them. Right now they use "Blade" to mean "ice skate blade" and I thought it would look tougher if it meant "sword."

I am using their old colors of blue and yellow for more contrast than what they have now with dark blue/medium blue/grey.

Blades_Richards.jpg

Wow. There is so much wrong with this post. First, the Saskatoon Blades are not a minor team in a small league. They are one of the top junior hockey teams in Canada in the most important junior hockey league in the world (the WHL/CHL). Secondly, the Blades have used the "blade" of a hockey stick as their primary logo since they joined the Western Hockey League in 1968. Thirdly, they have used a sword blade as their primary logo since 2004, so your novel idea of using a sword blade is not a particularly new concept. Lastly, the Blades are actually running a fan designed jersey contest right now: http://www.saskatoonblades.com/article/jersey-design-contest-finalists-announced

Blades_Richards.jpg

Wow. There is so much wrong with this post. First, the Saskatoon Blades are not a minor team in a small league. They are one of the top junior hockey teams in Canada in the most important junior hockey league in the world (the WHL/CHL). Secondly, the Blades have used the "blade" of a hockey stick as their primary logo since they joined the Western Hockey League in 1968. Thirdly, they have used a sword blade as their primary logo since 2004, so your novel idea of using a sword blade is not a particularly new concept. Lastly, the Blades are actually running a fan designed jersey contest right now: http://www.saskatoon...lists-announced

I only see logo's using Sickle, Skate and a Thresher. And I'm pretty sure the WHL is a "small league". Players have to be in the age range of 15-20 located only in Western Canada and Western US. Not saying it has no importance but I believe Tom's points are valid. :peace:

sportslogosbutton1.pngsportslogosbutton2.png

2l9mudh.jpg

Thanks, Mr. Fryman. Didn't mean to belittle the team. It wasn't my intention.

I was trying to contrast the sharp-cornered S with a sword with rounded decorations. I gave it some girth so it wouldn't look like a stick in a bathtub. I think I still need the width, but perhaps there are details on the sword that could get more "sharpening." I'll play.

Blades_Richards.jpg

Wow. There is so much wrong with this post. First, the Saskatoon Blades are not a minor team in a small league. They are one of the top junior hockey teams in Canada in the most important junior hockey league in the world (the WHL/CHL). Secondly, the Blades have used the "blade" of a hockey stick as their primary logo since they joined the Western Hockey League in 1968. Thirdly, they have used a sword blade as their primary logo since 2004, so your novel idea of using a sword blade is not a particularly new concept. Lastly, the Blades are actually running a fan designed jersey contest right now: http://www.saskatoon...lists-announced

I only see logo's using Sickle, Skate and a Thresher. And I'm pretty sure the WHL is a "small league". Players have to be in the age range of 15-20 located only in Western Canada and Western US. Not saying it has no importance but I believe Tom's points are valid. :peace:

Small league? The CHL, which is made up of the WHL, OHL and QMJHL features 60 major junior teams that are the primary source of talent to the NHL. In 2005-06 more than half the players in the NHL played their major junior hockey in the CHL. The WHL has 22 teams from Manitoba to British Columbia with a few scattered teams in the Pacific Northwest US. Many of the teams in the CHL now sell for upwards of 5 million dollars. Players can come from anywhere, including 2 import spots for Europeans. The top Russian goalie prospect for example plays in Saskatoon. Here is a link of current WHL players playing in the NHL: http://www.whl.ca/page/prospects-central-whl-graduates-in-the-nhl

If you refer to the Saskatoon Blades section on this forum and click on the earliest Blades logo, you'll see the original design is supposed tro be a stick.

Lastly, I should have said nice job on your logo. You could have entered their contest.

Pretty good. The sword might need a little bit more detail.

As a Blades fan, I really wish they'd go back to blue/gold as their colours. That just seems right for a team from Saskatoon.

I had a few concepts for their design a jersey contest but I never got around to submitting them. Oh well.

• 1 month later...

Here was my submission to the contest, having used just Photoshop.

bladesjerseydf.jpg

Should've spent more time cleaning it up, but it was a shot in the dark with no expectations. I ended up buying the contest winning design/jersey during the Blades game on February 4th (#11 Eric Benoit). Here was the winner in case you missed it. I was a fan of yours too rtrich11, classic colors & moderized simple design. Great design man.

Jersey1.jpg

Archived