Dolphins Helmet Concept

Fyrwulf

This is the second such concept I've done, but this time it doesn't look like something out of paint. Put the two shadows on a separate layer and set them to overlay. Added a layer with an orange-white circle gradient and set the layer to a 15% dissolve and 25% opacity. Used the warp tool on the logo to add a slight fisheye look and make it not-so-flat before adding it as a layer over the metallic flake but under the shadows. The end effect is a pearlescent metallic flake not dissimilar to what you sometimes see on show cars, but isn't quite the chameleon effect the Jags went with.

DolphinsHelmetConcept.png

cttdolphins2.png

I'm not a fan of this nor of any other gradient-style helmets.

usajohnson.gif

98% of people claim to have "brought sexy back." Well, I'm the 2% that never left.

Hometown Heroes

Dallas Stars- Brenden Morrow // Marty Turco // Loui Erikkson

Dallas Mavericks- Dirk Nowitzki // Jason Kidd // Jason Terry

Dallas Cowboys- Terrell Owens // DeMarcus Ware // Terence Newman // Felix Jones

Texas Rangers- Ian Kinsler // Elvis Andrus // Marlon Byrd

Well, I can respect that. IMO automotive paint concepts only work with teams from certain geographical areas, generally Florida and the Pacific Coast. You wouldn't, forex, do something like this with the Chiefs.

Good point. Generally, the idea isn't bad. It's just not for me.

usajohnson.gif

98% of people claim to have "brought sexy back." Well, I'm the 2% that never left.

Hometown Heroes

Dallas Stars- Brenden Morrow // Marty Turco // Loui Erikkson

Dallas Mavericks- Dirk Nowitzki // Jason Kidd // Jason Terry

Dallas Cowboys- Terrell Owens // DeMarcus Ware // Terence Newman // Felix Jones

Texas Rangers- Ian Kinsler // Elvis Andrus // Marlon Byrd

Generally, the idea isn't bad.

*nods* But it has to be well executed. That's the key. If you jerk around with it you get the Oregon Ducks yellow helmets, an otherwise beautifully done rendition of a candy paint scheme, but ruined by totally stupid ghost flames.

cttdolphins2.png

• 2 weeks later...

Something about this needs to be updated....maybe add more orange to the helmet like with a stripe/pointed to end at the top...maybe the bottm fans out like a dolphin split fin or something like that....I dunno. And it's almost like the gradient doesn't translate well to flat media.....

Nice try, but no dice.

389 points :huh:

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

Something about this needs to be updated....maybe add more orange to the helmet like with a stripe/pointed to end at the top...maybe the bottm fans out like a dolphin split fin or something like that....I dunno. And it's almost like the gradient doesn't translate well to flat media.....

Nice try, but no dice.

Edge, may I ask why you have recently bumped up three old threads that haven't been posted on for a few weeks? And what is with the "389 points" thing?

14622089383_66ed2643e0_o.jpg14415375480_b33010b5ce_o.jpg14602016315_3e9fe74148_o.jpg

Well, I can respect that. IMO automotive paint concepts only work with teams from certain geographical areas, generally Florida and the Pacific Coast. You wouldn't, forex, do something like this with the Chiefs.

I'm not really a fan of even the idea of pearlescent helmets. I think they are gimmicky for one thing and for another for the effect to work properly the paint has to be in pristine condition. One small scratch on a car often requires the entire panel to be resprayed.

Now thats fine if you're driving a car you can be careful, but when you're a Dlineman and it's your job to drive your facemask into a running back at any given opportunity scratches and gouges on helmets are a daily occurrence. The resulting wear and tear is going to have a seriously detrimental effect to the paint job in a very short space of time.

So not only will the helmet go from IMO looking tacky it's also going to look pretty old and beat up really quickly. I'll watch with interest to see how the Jags helmets hold up to the punishment but think as a style they are a fad, the helmet equivalent of throwing a drop shadow at a number to make it "cool" if you like, and hopefully it will die out before it becomes the norm.

With regards the concept, it's pretty well executed, while i dont like the idea of the flip paint if you are going down that route i think that in itself would add enough colour to do away with the need for stripes over the top. Sure on screen here it may look a little plain, but i think if created for real it would be more colourful than the illustration portrays.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

I wasn't entirely happy with the flat look myself, to the point where I did some warp effects on the logo to make it all look less flat. What this template is missing are highlights with the shadows to make the effect pop. Unfortunately I'm not good enough to do something like that.

cttdolphins2.png

Nice try, but no dice.

Edge, may I ask why you have recently bumped up three old threads that haven't been posted on for a few weeks? And what is with the "389 points" thing?

Sure. A) I don't get on here as often as I would like due to my schedule these days. I kinda end up making the difference and you see a lot of posts from me in a short span if I see things I want to comment on. B) The "389 points" thing is an inside joke from Whose Line Is It Anyway...The Game Is made up and the points don't matter. In my case, the points are made up on a scale of 1 to 1000. And thanks for asking.

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

Archived