Angels' owner mulls name change...

Arte Moreno, owner of MLB's Anaheim Angels, is apparently considering reverting back to the club's original moniker... the Los Angeles Angels. The first order of business will be renegotiating the team's lease with Anaheim, which calls for the team to be called the Anaheim Angels.

Moreno feels very strongly that he wants to market the team to all of the Greater Los Angeles area, a process that began this year with the Angels pouring money into an advertising blitz in communities throughout Los Angles County - a market that the Dodgers have unofficially seen as their's alone since the Angels moved to Orange County.

While MLB and the Dodgers can unofficially try to dissuade the Angels from adopting the Los Angeles place-name, officially it's Moreno's call. Moreno's lone hurdle seems to be renegotiating the "team name clause" in the Angels' lease.

Brian in Boston

He's taking the right tack - by using the regional marketing angle he can attempt to convince the landlord that it will put more fans in the ballpark. Now, depending upon how much the landlord's revenue stream has to do with attendance and concessions, it might be a convincing argument.

Oh, for crying out loud, would they make up their minds? First it's California, then Anaheim, then Los Angeles... How stupid does it sound to have a team name that, in English, translates to "Angels Angels"?

Well, that was the original name of the Angels. In fact thats why they are named the Angels.

BTW, didn't we discuss this a while ago.

yhollander...

That's a big part of his approach. Still, it's going to be a tough decision for the City of Anaheim. Do they allow Moreno the latitude to name the team in such a way that more Greater Los Angeles fans consider the team "their's", thus potentially filling the ballpark's seats more easily, thus potentially filling the city's coffers via increased ancillary revenue streams at the ballpark? Or, do they hold Moreno to the current lease arrangement so as to raise the city's profile via the use of the "Anaheim" place name?

Brian in Boston

I guess that the problem I have with the renaming of the team is that it isn't located in Los Angeles. It's not even located in Los Angeles County.

We're talking about a team playing in a city 35 miles from downtown Los Angeles. However, it's not as though Anaheim is just some tiny suburb 35 miles from LA. It's a city of 328,014 people. It has one of the highest - if not the highest - growth rates among the ten largest cities in the State of California. Among cities with a population greater than 300,000 people, it's one of the fastest growing cities in the United States.

Further, Anaheim and Orange County have a cultural "feel" that is distinct from the glitz and glamour of "La La Land".

I guess the point that I'm making is that if Arte Moreno wants to rename the team the Los Angeles Angels, he should start looking for a facility in Los Angeles... or, at least Los Angeles County. Otherwise, it's just an example of cultural "carpet-bagging".

Brian in Boston

I also wouldn't mind seeing them go back to their original name.

You mean go back to California Angels, because the problem with that is that there is also the dodgers, padres, a's, and giants in california. The problem I have with them going back to Los Angeles is I think Anaheim Angels sounds better, with the alliteration and all.

iceohio.jpgvultshelmet.png

crossout3.png

I wonder if this campaign to Los Angelize the team could actually hurt them by shattering the niche they've carved as the L.A.-area team that isn't so L.A. (like the Clippers without the sucking).

The Jets and Giants have done the same type of thing in recent years, going back to previous logos that emphasized the "NY", to the chagrin of some in New Jersey (the Jets, presumably, doing so in anticipation of moving back to New York).

We're talking about a team playing in a city 35 miles from downtown Los Angeles. However, it's not as though Anaheim is just some tiny suburb 35 miles from LA. It's a city of 328,014 people. It has one of the highest - if not the highest - growth rates among the ten largest cities in the State of California. Among cities with a population greater than 300,000 people, it's one of the fastest growing cities in the United States.

the Detroit Lions played for 20 years about 35 miles from downtown Detroit, in Pontiac, a city of over 100,000 in the 3rd wealthiest county in the US.

my point? Los Angeles is a more recognizable name than Anaheim. "Los Angeles" slapped on the front of a jersey will bring in more money than "anaheim" on the front.

seacrest out.

I guess that the problem I have with the renaming of the team is that it isn't located in Los Angeles. It's not even located in Los Angeles County.

Further, Anaheim and Orange County have a cultural "feel" that is distinct from the glitz and glamour of "La La Land".

I guess the point that I'm making is that if Arte Moreno wants to rename the team the Los Angeles Angels, he should start looking for a facility in Los Angeles... or, at least Los Angeles County. Otherwise, it's just an example of cultural "carpet-bagging".

Brian in Boston

But the Rams played in the same stadium with another team that played in LA and still called themselves the LA Rams.

Oh, just call em the Orange County Choppers and be done with it.

Well the problem there is that the "real" Orange County Choppers is located in Orange County, NY.

When you say "Orange County Choppers" in the SoCal context, you are referring to a set of dentures in a glass in a retirement home.

Hey, my cousin is on that show.

I don't know if anyone mention it but lease requires the Angels to be called the Anaheim Angels according to PTI.

Yes, BiB mentioned it twice in this thread alone.

:wacko:

the Detroit Lions played for 20 years about 35 miles from downtown Detroit, in Pontiac, a city of over 100,000 in the 3rd wealthiest county in the US.

Joel, apparently Seacrest misled you with regard to some of your "facts". :D

You were "in the ballpark" (no pun intended) with regard to the Pontiac Silverdome's distance from Detroit: the Silverdome is actually 29 miles (okay, 28.7) from downtown Detroit. So it's closer to Detroit than Angel Stadium is to downtown Los Angeles... though, not by much.

However, Pontiac is not a city of over 100,000 people. The population as of the 2000 census was just 66,337. So, Pontiac is much more a "suburb" of Detroit, than Anaheim (population 328,014) is a suburb of Los Angeles.

That, in point of fact, was the crux of my argument. If the Angels remain in Anaheim, I have a tough time with Moreno's desire to rename the team the Los Angeles Angels... precisely because Anaheim is a large city with a culture all its own.

Bottom line? With Detroit just 29 miles away, a city of 66,337 people wasn't going to realistically get the Ford family to switch the NFL club's name to the Pontiac Lions. Arguably, Anaheim has a much greater justification for wanting their MLB franchise to remain the Anaheim Angels.

Brian in Boston

Archived