Florida White Sox Logo?

B-Rich

Back in 1989, when the Chicago White sox were this close to moving to St. Petersburg (the Illinois legislature came through and funded the new Comiskey Park), I remember briefly seeing on ESPN or a news show a proposed logo for the "Florida White Sox"-- it was on some T-shirts and some small signs. In doing a Google search, I found one person mention he had such a t-shirt, but I was unable to contact him.

I remember it used the state outline in a curvy, stylized way, along with a star in the Tampa Bay Area, to represent a cursive capital "F" (which is almost a backwards black print "F"). The other letters (l-o-r-i-d-a) were spelled out to the right in the same curvy fashion, receding in size, somwhat similar to the Dodgers script or the Superman logo. I noted, too, that apprently the colors were green and gold.

It looked something like this (please pardon my quick sketch):

flawhitesox.jpg

Anyone else ever see this logo, or better yet, have a copy of it?

It is what it is.

interesting!

I can recall seeing a Vancouver Mounties logo (now known as the Memphis Grizzlies), and apparently there were Toronto Giants caps on display at a press conference announcing the SF Giants moving to Toronto in 1976.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

I like seeing the rejected logos, or the ones that never happened. I know the teams probably never want them to see the light of day, but its cool to see what might have been. An idea for the site chris?? eh? eh? :) J/K, I'm sure you have enough on your plate as it is.

i cant believe they were actually going to call them the Florida White Sox, green and gold might not have worked since the Univ. of South Florida's (located in Tampa) colors were green and gold. As a resident of the Tampa bay area, I'd rather cheer for a team called the Rays. Florida White Sox sounds like a minor league team being called by its parent club name (kinda like the Clearwater Phillies until the 2003 season, now theyre the Threshers)

Archived