I'm done with Bill Leavy

martymcfry

I'm done with Bill Leavy. For the fourth time this year, he made at least one bad call at a critical point in a critical game. And this isn't the first season he's done that, either. His crew is the league's worst IMO. Anyone else with me?

I'm done with Bill Leavy. For the fourth time this year, he made at least one bad call at a critical point in a critical game. And this isn't the first season he's done that, either. His crew is the league's worst IMO. Anyone else with me?

What game was he reffing this week?

spacer.png

I'll say this -

It's time to take refereeing off of the field - or at least a good part of it. There should be referees upstairs watching replays and if there's a bad PI call or a lineman 25 yards down field running a post route, they should be able to buzz down and either tell them to pick up the flag or throw another one.

PI is too big of a deal now and games can be won or lost on huge calls like that. Also things like personal fouls for helmet-to-helmet or roughing the QB - there's no reason that those can't be reviewed - you want to throw a flag and give a team 15 yards and a 1st down because you thought you saw a helmet-to-helmet hit but it realy wasn't?

2014 isn't 1960. There's too much $ at stake now and they really need to get things right. There's no reason a 70-year-old referee who can barely get back in to position before the ball is snapped should be able to decide a game.

Either allow challenges of horrible calls, or just do the right thing and elminate challenges all together and have a team of Mike Peraras at every game buzzing down to the field.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'll say this -

It's time to take refereeing off of the field - or at least a good part of it. There should be referees upstairs watching replays and if there's a bad PI call or a lineman 25 yards down field running a post route, they should be able to buzz down and either tell them to pick up the flag or throw another one.

PI is too big of a deal now and games can be won or lost on huge calls like that. Also things like personal fouls for helmet-to-helmet or roughing the QB - there's no reason that those can't be reviewed - you want to throw a flag and give a team 15 yards and a 1st down because you thought you saw a helmet-to-helmet hit but it realy wasn't?

2014 isn't 1960. There's too much $ at stake now and they really need to get things right. There's no reason a 70-year-old referee who can barely get back in to position before the ball is snapped should be able to decide a game.

Either allow challenges of horrible calls, or just do the right thing and elminate challenges all together and have a team of Mike Peraras at every game buzzing down to the field.

Exactly what I was thinking. These bad calls are driving me crazy, particularly the times when they throw flag after flag on my Seahawks. When they played the 49ers, I thought all but one of those calls on the Seahawks on that field goal drive were unnecessary. That wan't Bill Leavy, but he has officiated two Seahawks games this year, and messed up on both of them.

I'll say this -

Exactly what I was thinking. These bad calls are driving me crazy, particularly the times when they throw flag after flag on my Seahawks. When they played the 49ers, I thought all but one of those calls on the Seahawks on that field goal drive were unnecessary. That wan't Bill Leavy, but he has officiated two Seahawks games this year, and messed up on both of them.

Ironically, it was the calls the Seahawks got the other day that pushed me over the edge. PI against Bradley Fletcher could have either been offensive PI or even a no call, instead it's a 44 yard penalty that sets up a TD in a low-scoring game. Also the play where their tackle is literally 20+ yards down field and nobody except the announcers noticed it. There was also a defensive holding call that Aikman said was garbage. At the end of the day there were certainly worse officiated games than that one, but the lineman down field really made me think that someone upstairs should be calling that stuff and not old men on the field.

Had nothing really to do with the outcome of the game - the Eagles were simply overwhelmed by that defense - but take away that touchdown and at least there's the chance that luck (like a fluke special teams score or DFTD) could have been a factor. Probably not though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived