Sports statistics that should be done away with

johnnysama

A little quirk is that while a sac fly doesn't count as an at-bat and therefore doesn't lower a guy's batting average, it does count as a plate appearance and will lower a guy's on-base percentage. And if a guy has a hitting streak but goes 0 for 0 with a sac fly, the streak ends.

I'm a nerd.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A little quirk is that while a sac fly doesn't count as an at-bat and therefore doesn't lower a guy's batting average, it does count as a plate appearance and will lower a guy's on-base percentage. And if a guy has a hitting streak but goes 0 for 0 with a sac fly, the streak ends.

I'm a nerd.

Also, it hurts the slugging percentage as well

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

I would welcome back ties to the NHL, but on two conditions:

1. Game goes 60 minutes only. No overtimes.

2. Award one point for tie games, but give winners three points. Make ties only worth a third of a win instead of worth half a win.

I would think the strategy at the end of games would change. Teams would go for the win...even if that means pulling the goalie in a tie game...and get the extra two points than sitting back and cherishing the one point, since it would take three ties to equal one win instead of the current two ties (well, OT/shootout losses).

Why not just do straight wins?

Because a team could have one of three results in a given game.

The NHL seems to be hell-bent on keeping points in the standings, so we'll keep that. So penalize ties so that they're not as valuable as they currently are. Gives much more incentive and encouragement to win games instead of settling for ties.

I don't know if even that's enough to destroy the risk aversion of hockey culture. As long as there's an option to not fail or to fail less, coaches will take that.

For those who watched it last night, Wings-Hawks was an example of a game that went to a shootout in the most honest of ways. The game was full of great scoring chances in both ends, Detroit took a late lead, Hawks pulled the goalie and tied it right back up with ~30 seconds, both teams had great chances in overtime, Wings won in the shootout. Unfortunately, for every game like this, there are about five or six shootout games that are full of squatting on ties. That's not the shootout's fault; this was a problem that led to the shootout in the first place.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived