2023-'24 NHL season

Kramerica Industries

1 hour ago, FiddySicks said:

And there have been rumors that they may look to go elsewhere if SJ doesn’t publicly fund a new arena for them and the city is just like lol please leave! 

I’m not sure what the future of this team really is, but I’d have to assume it’ll be as a tenant at the Chase Center at some point in the not too distant future. 

Is the Chase Center even suitable for the NHL? I'd like to avoid another Barclays Center situation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FiddySicks said:

And there have been rumors that they may look to go elsewhere if SJ doesn’t publicly fund a new arena for them and the city is just like lol please leave! 

I’m not sure what the future of this team really is, but I’d have to assume it’ll be as a tenant at the Chase Center at some point in the not too distant future. 

The Sharks and Warriors should have gotten on the same page decades ago, preferably with one arena in or close to San Francisco. Rehabbing the Oakland Arena was never going to be enough, the Shark Tank was hastily drawn up without luxury boxes, and no professional team should ever have to use the stinky Cow Palace. I think the Chase Center is basically Barclays West in terms of the seating bowl and general one-percentiness. Not ideal. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

6 minutes ago, neo_prankster said:

What's up with the Winnipeg Jets' attendance issues lately?

The way everybody's talking about it, it makes the Jets seem like they're vulnerable to being moved again.

I really don't want Winnipeg to lose the Jets again like they did in 1996.

If I had to guess, rising prices have forced a lot of people to give up Jets tickets to afford stuff like food and bills. Plus the team constantly being stuck in mid for the last few years isn't helping, either; fans will show up to a team that's winning and putting in strong efforts every night, and the Jets have hovered around .500 all year so far.

I mean, plus the owner did kind of hang that sword of Damocles over their heads in the offseason...

In other news, Edmonton's oil-soaked tire fire continues to burn;

It's officially a five-alarm fire in Edmonton as the Oilers fail to mount a comeback, losing to the Sharks in regulation and putting them in a tie for 32nd in the league in points...despite out-shooting them 41-18.

To even make the playoffs, they'll have to play at a 105-point pace the rest of the year...which, given their performance so far, seems unlikely. I think we can begin to call their playoff chances close to dead in the water at this point.

Honestly, if you're Draisaitl and McDavid, how much longer can you take this team wasting your prime years like this?

30 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

The Lafreniere breakout is here

Nice to see him finally put it all together under a new coach

What a rollercoaster of a game. I spent a lot of the third period screaming obscenities at the refs after one of the most baffling disallowed goals I've ever seen at the end of the second. I'm so happy for Laf, he's had a lot of criticism thus far in his career.

On 11/7/2023 at 5:07 PM, neo_prankster said:

What's up with the Winnipeg Jets' attendance issues lately?

The way everybody's talking about it, it makes the Jets seem like they're vulnerable to being moved again.

I really don't want Winnipeg to lose the Jets again like they did in 1996.

It seems like a combination of a few things. They lost around 2000 season ticket holders during the pandemic, which was due to people cutting spending, changing entertainment habits, and issues around vaccine mandates. They started their first season ticket campaign since initially moving from Atlanta this spring, but I don't think the veiled threat of "buy tickets or the team might move again" went over very well.

The honeymoon period of the NHL being back in Manitoba is over, but their owner is still one of the richest people in Canada, and is committed to keeping the team there. I think we're still a long ways away from relocation being a realistic option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

It seems like a combination of a few things. They lost around 2000 season ticket holders during the pandemic, which was due to people cutting spending, changing entertainment habits, and issues around vaccine mandates. They started their first season ticket campaign since initially moving from Atlanta this spring, but I don't think the veiled threat of "buy tickets or the team might move again" went over very well.

The honeymoon period of the NHL being back in Manitoba is over, but their owner is still one of the richest people in Canada, and is committed to keeping the team there. I think we're still a long ways away from relocation being a realistic option.

I asked because last season I was worried we would see a repeat of 96 and the economic conditions that sent the old Jets to the desert.