2023-'24 NHL season

Kramerica Industries

• 2 weeks later...

Dear San Jose. Please stop winning games. This is not how we get better odds at getting Celebrini. Please understand how the draft lottery works. 

Your begrudging fan, A. Houston.

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

13 hours ago, Alex Houston said:

Dear San Jose. Please stop winning games. This is not how we get better odds at getting Celebrini. Please understand how the draft lottery works. 

NHL draft odds are ridiculously flat. You could go 0-82, and you'll still get less than 20% chance at the #1 overall pick. You don't want a team that has completely hollowed itself out and given up on any chance of competing. It's a stink in the locker room that isn't always easy to wash off.

• Like 4

What a ridiculous game in Minnesota today. The Wild hosted the Canucks today, and Vancouver was up 4-1, then 5-3 at the end of the second. The Wild scored 5 goals in a matter of minutes to take the lead 8-5. But the drama didn’t stop there as the Canucks made it a 8-7 game before the Wild iced it with two empty netters for a final of 10-7. 

But 3 hat tricks in the game, one from JT Miller and then the Wild had two from both Joel Eriksson Ek and Kirill Kaprizov. 

I heard it broke an NHL record for the most goals/least amount of combined shots at 17 goals in a game with 51 registered shots on net. 

Just insanity from the Wild today. Of course they head to Winnipeg tomorrow, which is another tough test for them. I have no idea what to make of this team. The dropped a bad one to the Sabres, just to follow it up with this. I’d love to see them continue to push for the playoffs, but it’ll feel pointless for another first round exit. They need to either make a run like the Panthers last year, or lose out for a good pick. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

On 2/16/2024 at 12:12 PM, Alex Houston said:

Chicago beat Pittsburgh in the second last game of the season last year, and those 2 points moved them from 1st to 3rd in the lottery odds. Since 2010 the last place team has only won the lottery 4 times, and they've spread out the odds even more in recent years.

As a fan who's been watching 5+ years of rebuilding hockey, I advise you to enjoy the wins whenever they happen. Celebrini will likely be a good player, but he isn't going to change a franchise singlehandedly (although the Sharks/Bay Area connection would make for a cool story).

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2023 at 11:14 AM, BrySmalls said:

"Bold" Caps predictions for the upcoming season.

1. Mantha and/or Kuznetsov are traded before the deadline.
  2. Ovechkin scores 35 goals (any more than that is fantastic!).
  3. They sneak into the playoffs as one of the wildcards.

Mantha traded to VGK for 2 picks (a 2024 2nd round pick and a 2026 4th round pick) and Kuznetsov is in the AHL for now (honestly hope he gets the help he needs). Update: Kuzy traded to division rival CAR🤦‍♂️

The remaining 2 predictions are long shots.

A couple of days ago I went to my first Mild game since before Covid. In OT they pulled the goalie, which left me confused because I didn't see a penalty call.  They ended up scoring almost immediately and it was later confirmed to me that there was no call.

But the most interesting thing about that is I learned that in the NHL if you lose a game in which you pull your goalie OT, you don't get the OTL point.  Since I'm admittedly a casual fan these days, I am not sure whether that's common knowledge (or maybe it's not because I am sure it doesn't happen a lot). Either way, what's the purpose of the rule? 

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

55 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

A couple of days ago I went to my first Mild game since before Covid. In OT they pulled the goalie, which left me confused because I didn't see a penalty call.  They ended up scoring almost immediately and it was later confirmed to me that there was no call.

But the most interesting thing about that is I learned that in the NHL if you lose a game in which you pull your goalie OT, you don't get the OTL point.  Since I'm admittedly a casual fan these days, I am not sure whether that's common knowledge (or maybe it's not because I am sure it doesn't happen a lot). Either way, what's the purpose of the rule? 

Way back in the days of the Marek vs. Wyshynski pod they talked about this a lot- they introduced the rule simultaneous to the loser point and 4-on-4 overtime at the end of the 90's, the idea was essentially that they didn't want teams to pull the goalie as soon as they got to 4-on-4 because they already secured a point. I think the objective was to prevent overtime becoming a spectacle (which of course it kind of became once they removed one more skater a few years later!)

• Like 3

My brother and I were gifted tickets to see the Hawks play in Anaheim tonight.

While I'd never turn that down under any circumstances, :censored:ing woof. Nothing went right for the Hawks tonight.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/6/2023 at 11:14 AM, BrySmalls said:

"Bold" Caps predictions for the upcoming season.

1. Mantha and/or Kuznetsov are traded before the deadline.
  2. Ovechkin scores 35 goals (any more than that is fantastic!).
  3. They sneak into the playoffs as one of the wildcards.

On 3/5/2024 at 8:45 PM, BrySmalls said:

Mantha traded to VGK for 2 picks (a 2024 2nd round pick and a 2026 4th round pick) and Kuznetsov is in the AHL for now (honestly hope he gets the help he needs). Update: Kuzy traded to division rival CAR🤦‍♂️

The remaining 2 predictions are long shots.

Well holy :censored:ing :censored:, the Caps made the playoffs as the last wildcard!!! Ovie ended up with 31 goals.

Lol Washington had no business being in the playoffs. Though if it extends Ovechkin's opportunities at more goals then count me in.

Toronto against Boston might as well be chalk. The Leafs can never beat the Bruins in the playoffs.

9 hours ago, Dalcowboyfan92 said:

If I'm being honest; no one deserved the eighth seed in the Eastern Conference, but someone had to win it. Glad it was Washington.

-37 goal differential, lmao

The negative GD is quite a dubious distinction! I'm happy they made it out of the 4 teams battling for the final spot. Even better clinching the second wildcard against the Flyers in Philly!

9 hours ago, Dynasty said:

Lol Washington had no business being in the playoffs. Though if it extends Ovechkin's opportunities at more goals then count me in.

I agree with you on both statements!

8 hours ago, ruttep said:

The Rangers *should* win this series relatively easily. But they've never made things easy. I am nervous af.

The Caps and Rangers split the regular season series this year, which might not mean anything in the playoffs. I hope the Caps make this a good series!