2023-'24 NHL season

Kramerica Industries

4 hours ago, BrySmalls said:

The Caps and Rangers split the regular season series this year, which might not mean anything in the playoffs. I hope the Caps make this a good series!

I'm expecting 7 lol. I don't trust the Rangers to win a quick series

• LOL 1

the new york islanders, despite their best efforts, are a playoff team for the fifth time in six seasons.

now if they could stop facing carolina in the playoffs, that'd be tremendous.

53Ocz8U.png

Sabres bring back Lindy Ruff as coach. On the one hand, he's basically Mr. Sabre. Almost half the team's existence has had him as either player or head coach. I *like* Lindy, but I'm not very excited about this.

56 minutes ago, JerseyJimmy said:

the carolina hurricanes are the sports equivalent of a petulant 12-year-old screeching racial slurs at the top of their lungs on xbox live

GL0SVMaXwAA5jdE?format=jpg&name=medium

This is precisely why I can't stand their team. I have absolutely nothing against the players, I'm sure they're great people just like any NHLers you'll ever come across, but their marketing and fanbase is unbearable (and yes, it does extend to their visual identity as well).

9 hours ago, JerseyJimmy said:

the carolina hurricanes are the sports equivalent of a petulant 12-year-old screeching racial slurs at the top of their lungs on xbox live

GL0SVMaXwAA5jdE?format=jpg&name=medium

I am a Canes fan, but this is some cringy tweeting. It’s been a while since I’ve gone on Twitter (since it has become laughably toxic) but I recall the Canes account used to at least be a little creative with their trolling. Nothing clever here. Not to mention it is only a 2-0 series lead in the first round. Job isn’t even close to finished yet. 

• Like 1

T1oYViW.png

Apparently the McNall/Pocklington deal was a satanic blood pact that's come due and the Kings are now destined to wilt to the Oilers in the first round until Gretzky's franchise value has truly been repaid.

• Like 1

VmWIn6B.png

13 hours ago, ruttep said:

This is precisely why I can't stand their team. I have absolutely nothing against the players, I'm sure they're great people just like any NHLers you'll ever come across, but their marketing and fanbase is unbearable (and yes, it does extend to their visual identity as well).

I really, genuinely think it's a sunbelt problem - there's never been this kind of vitriol when the Isles have had a playoff series against a Flyers or Penguins, at least not in recent years. hell, even that one series with the Bruins felt like it had an undercurrent of mutual respect despite the whole "New York Saints" thing. that just ceases to exist when it's the Canes, Lightning, etc. across the ice. they don't give me the impression that they want to be "part" of the greater league ecosystem, they give me the impression that they want to take that ecosystem, smash it to pieces, and rebuild it in their own mayonnaise-flavored image.

remember when whichever team limped into the Southeast Division title got sent home in a coffee can like clockwork year after year? that was nice. we should go back to that.

• Like 2
  • Yawn 3

53Ocz8U.png

47 minutes ago, JerseyJimmy said:

I really, genuinely think it's a sunbelt problem - there's never been this kind of vitriol when the Isles have had a playoff series against a Flyers or Penguins, at least not in recent years. hell, even that one series with the Bruins felt like it had an undercurrent of mutual respect despite the whole "New York Saints" thing. that just ceases to exist when it's the Canes, Lightning, etc. across the ice. they don't give me the impression that they want to be "part" of the greater league ecosystem, they give me the impression that they want to take that ecosystem, smash it to pieces, and rebuild it in their own mayonnaise-flavored image.

remember when whichever team limped into the Southeast Division title got sent home in a coffee can like clockwork year after year? that was nice. we should go back to that.

Agreed. The Hurricanes' whole persona is built on taking "traditional" hockey ideals and shoving them in the face of everyone else. I think it stems from them leaning into the "Bunch of Jerks" label in 2019. If old hockey just shut their mouths that year I don't think Carolina's social media presence ever becomes this insufferable.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ruttep said:

Agreed. The Hurricanes' whole persona is built on taking "traditional" hockey ideals and shoving them in the face of everyone else. I think it stems from them leaning into the "Bunch of Jerks" label in 2019. If old hockey just shut their mouths that year I don't think Carolina's social media presence ever becomes this insufferable.

It's almost as if a lot of "traditional" hockey ideals are antiquated and have often held back the growth of the sport outside of the Northeast, Midwest, and Canada. 

• Like 1
  • Meh 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Just now, spartacat_12 said:

It's almost as if a lot of "traditional" hockey ideals are antiquated and have often held back the growth of the sport outside of the Northeast, Midwest, and Canada. 

Not disagreeing with you, but what Carolina does is just being obnoxious for the sake of being obnoxious. You have a great team with all the pieces to push for the Cup. You don't need to act like a 13 year old on Xbox to beg people for attention on top of that.

• Like 2
  • Eyeroll 1

14 minutes ago, ruttep said:

Not disagreeing with you, but what Carolina does is just being obnoxious for the sake of being obnoxious. You have a great team with all the pieces to push for the Cup. You don't need to act like a 13 year old on Xbox to beg people for attention on top of that.

Well when you pull a pendulum in one direction for so long, you can't be surprised when it swings far in the other direction. Letting an anonymous social media administrator dictate how you feel about a professional sports franchise seems like a miserable existence.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Well when you pull a pendulum in one direction for so long, you can't be surprised when it swings far in the other direction. Letting an anonymous social media administrator dictate how you feel about a professional sports franchise seems like a miserable existence.

Let's be clear here, I'm far from an unbiased observer of the Hurricanes's Twitter account. I'm a Rangers fan who would love to see Carolina flame out of the playoffs as soon as possible. I don't like that team anyway.

• LOL 1
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, JerseyJimmy said:

they don't give me the impression that they want to be "part" of the greater league ecosystem

Not to beat this dead horse of a topic for the millionth time, but there is a decent sized chunk of the hockey fanbase that does not want them to be part of the greater league ecosystem. There are many who think any sunbelt team simply does not belong, no matter how successful the franchise is or how many games in a row they fill the building with fans. We can’t be too surprised when those fanbases eventually push back and say to heck with the traditional hockey fans. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

T1oYViW.png