2023-'24 NHL season

Kramerica Industries

Also isn’t it a bit ironic so many people mock sunbelt teams for playing in cities filled with northern transplants, and belittle the fans for being arrogant. Wouldn’t this mean all those arrogant fans are actually transplants from the traditional hockey markets?  I don’t know - just asking questions. 

• Applause 1

T1oYViW.png

4 minutes ago, Glover said:

Also isn’t it a bit ironic so many people mock sunbelt teams for playing in cities filled with northern transplants, and belittle the fans for being arrogant. Wouldn’t this mean all those arrogant fans are actually transplants from the traditional hockey markets?  I don’t know - just asking questions. 

It's not that they're being arrogant, it's just that some of it seems so over the top that it borders on desperation. That's what makes Carolina's fanbase off-putting to me, at least.

I'd like to thank everyone for joining me at the "Carolina's reddit-ass fanbase needs to stop" table, I've been expecting you.

• LOL 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

Letting an anonymous social media administrator dictate how you feel about a professional sports franchise seems like a miserable existence.

It was the choreographed victory celebrations that were really the point of no return for me, which probably came out of the marketing department but probably not the buttmonkey who does the tweets. Hurricanes fans on the internet had been annoying for a while, but once it extended into the actual team doing the Macarena after wins, I just felt so embarrassed that marketing the league ever had to come to this. Of course, I am not the target audience. The target audience is people who get excited when the Wendy's account makes a sassy tweet at a person.

• Like 3

I think it's way less Sun Belt than the fact the Canes' franchise is terminally online. Lightning fans were always fun and respectful to interact with those playoff series, Panthers are fun, Preds have the closest thing to an NCAA atmosphere in the NHL, Stars I guess I have the fortune of them failing at their attempts to make viral tweets, etc. The Canes are at the point where I saw the tweets last night and thought to myself "great, they're going to make a ton of t-shirts over a series they should win in no more than 6 to begin with."

As for last night, yeah, I saw that coming from a mile away given how the Isles can't hold a 2 goal lead if their lives depended on it and they had about 8 2 minute defensive shifts in the 2nd period alone. It's becoming more and more performance art at this point to the point I'm numb to it. Do it in front of 80,000 at MetLife against your biggest rivals so what's doing it again come playoff time?

• Like 4

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

1 hour ago, Glover said:

Not to beat this dead horse of a topic for the millionth time, but there is a decent sized chunk of the hockey fanbase that does not want them to be part of the greater league ecosystem. There are many who think any sunbelt team simply does not belong, no matter how successful the franchise is or how many games in a row they fill the building with fans. We can’t be too surprised when those fanbases eventually push back and say to heck with the traditional hockey fans. 

oh I'm sure canes fans say "heck" a lot. "doggo" and "wholesome 100 keanu" as well.

• Like 1

53Ocz8U.png

22 minutes ago, Glover said:

People getting so angry about a hockey team doing silly dances after they play a children’s game will never not be funny to me. 

I think the Storm Surge is great. I thought the Wings player doing the griddy earlier this season was awesome too. I loved the empty net antics that took place this season. But I don't know what to tell you if you don't cringe with secondhand embarrassment at Carolina's social media presence. A professional sports team tweeting "CRY" is simply absurd.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

13 minutes ago, ruttep said:

I think the Storm Surge is great. I thought the Wings player doing the griddy earlier this season was awesome too. I loved the empty net antics that took place this season. But I don't know what to tell you if you don't cringe with secondhand embarrassment at Carolina's social media presence. A professional sports team tweeting "CRY" is simply absurd.

I agree with you on the social media team. I remember the Canes social media used to be at least a little clever with their trolling, but some of the stuff they posted last night was cringy to say the least. 

• Like 2

T1oYViW.png

34 minutes ago, Glover said:

I agree with you on the social media team. I remember the Canes social media used to be at least a little clever with their trolling, but some of the stuff they posted last night was cringy to say the least. 

As Jimmy said, it's the kind of stuff you heard on Xbox Live back in the late-00s, minus the really awful stuff.

2 hours ago, Glover said:

Lots of overlap with the northern transplants who moved so they could buy a McMansion and performatively proclaim how much they couldn't stand snow-shoveling a couple times per winter. They're not missed back home.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Digby said:

Lots of overlap with the northern transplants who moved so they could buy a McMansion and performatively proclaim how much they couldn't stand snow-shoveling a couple times per winter. They're not missed back home.

Yeah, it's a tendency I hate so much. I would find race-to-the-bottom Raleigh loathsome even if they never got the Whalers.

3 hours ago, RyanMcD29 said:

Stars I guess I have the fortune of them failing at their attempts to make viral tweets, etc.

plAIoffs! AI, Branford, you heard about this?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JerseyJimmy said:

that just ceases to exist when it's the Canes, Lightning, etc. across the ice. they don't give me the impression that they want to be "part" of the greater league ecosystem, they give me the impression that they want to take that ecosystem, smash it to pieces, and rebuild it in their own mayonnaise-flavored image.

What the hell did the Lightning ever do to give you that kind of impression? And no, beating your asses every time we meet in the playoffs isn't a good explanation. You just sound like you're being arbitrary in saying that Bruce Cassidy's comments were "an undercurrent of mutual respect" without a shred of evidence to back that claim.

But you've been writing nonsense like this for three years at least now so I'm not surprised you're still writing this kind of nonsense.

• Like 3

spacer.png

Lightning fans are normal, which is surprising for Florida, likely because the Bolts have never been a "best-kept secret" for extremely online weirdos to get all smug about liking. I had to read all about how Justin Faulk was the best defenseman no one was talking about in 2013 and then later they all insisted he was so good he had to be traded immediately.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kramerica Industries said:

What the hell did the Lightning ever do to give you that kind of impression? And no, beating your asses every time we meet in the playoffs isn't a good explanation. You just sound like you're being arbitrary in saying that Bruce Cassidy's comments were "an undercurrent of mutual respect" without a shred of evidence to back that claim.

But you've been writing nonsense like this for three years at least now so I'm not surprised you're still writing this kind of nonsense.

I didn't get the impression that bruins fans wanted to send all of my friends to re-education camps, for one thing, but I digress.

• Like 1
  • Eyeroll 2

53Ocz8U.png

Those tweets from the Hurricanes account were cringy, but I guess they accomplished their goal and really got under the skin of some Islanders fans. Imagine being so mentally fragile about your team losing a game that you look up a staff directory to harass people. 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

T1oYViW.png

6 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Is anyone watching the playoffs or is everyone too busy with the fan credentials d**k measuring contest? 

I've been watching, the Rangers took care of business in the first two games.

Of course, they held a 2-0 lead against the Lightning in 2022 and the Devils last year before blowing both series, so this series is far from over.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ruttep said:

I've been watching, the Rangers took care of business in the first two games.

Of course, they held a 2-0 lead against the Lightning in 2022 and the Devils last year before blowing both series, so this series is far from over.

I got a little nervous when the Caps scored right out of the gate and again when they made it 4-3, but the Rangers closed the deal. Being up 2-0 is better than being 1-1 or 0-2, but you're right, it's a still long way from over. How about that K'Andre Miller shorthanded goal? 

BB52Big.jpg