Seattle Emeralds (Seattle NHL)

9JakePenny

Um, there are a lot of issues here. Your lines on the Space Needle are really jagged. Did you make it from an outline? Build it up from shapes instead.

Building a wordmark--which usually should be a separate part of the branding from the logos--is a lot more than just typing words. It's about kerning and shaping. And if you're going to use a drop-shadow, which is kind of dated, at least make the shadows consistent on all parts of the wordmark.

In the bottom logo, you're using two shades of green that are *almost* the same, which violates a basic design principle of contrast. Also, use masking in order to put a real S in the logo rather than a shakily drawn one.

Finally, if it weren't for the wordmark, I'd have no idea that this team was called the Emeralds, or that it was a hockey team, or even an athletic team. This could be the logo for anything in Seattle. Give it some careful though. Explore. Experiment. Brainstorm. Get creative.

rATMcmK.png

I actually really like the S around the Space Needle as a secondary logo.

I would caution against using the Space Needle as a primary logo. For one, your version doesn't actually look anything like the real Needle. It's too top-heavy. Two, I've always felt it was a bit cliched and overused. It is probably the first building you think of when you visit, but it's basically a tourist attraction. There are so many other unique things about Seattle that have an every day impact on the people that live there.

Archived