NHL 15-16: wife-beaters, adulterers, cokeheads, rapists, pill-poppers, AND METHODISTS

The_Admiral

On 3/31/2016 at 1:03 PM, the admiral said:

Canadian teams suffer because they can't attract elite talent (who themselves are usually Canadian) in trades or free agency. This is because Canadians are by and large big dumb cowards who talk a big game about their country when it's time to hound gash at the Olympic Village but don't want to pay too much in taxes. At the same time, Canadian teams are under higher pressure to perform than their American counterparts. The end result is some form of poor roster construction, whether it's desperately flailing in Vancouver or overrelying on one player because you can't get anyone else in Montreal. Southern teams operate at huge built-in advantages because, like Winnipeg, they can build through the draft with time and trust, but unlike Winnipeg, can get people to play there without fear of no-trade clauses or bitchy wives they just cheat on anyway. Obviously, not all warm-weather teams make the most of their favorable circumstances, because look at the Hurricanes missing the playoffs nine of the last ten seasons, but compared to what Canadian teams have to deal with in terms of revenue-sharing demands, dollar fluctuation, and Canadians who won't play in Canada, teams like Dallas and Anaheim are playing the video game of life on easy mode.

Oh hey Toronto Sun what up

It was a slump that was measured in months — not days, or even weeks.

Ryan Getzlaf went without a goal in his first 13 games of the season. He scored only once in November. By the end of January, he had managed three goals in four months for an Anaheim Ducks team that many had picked to win the Stanley Cup, but was now treading water in the Western Conference standings.

Had Getzlaf been playing in Toronto or Edmonton, teammate Andrew Cogliano said, “he wouldn’t have been able to leave his house.” Lucky for Getzlaf, his house was in California — not Canada — and was soundproof to the criticism concerning his captaincy and the effectiveness of his head coach.

“North of the border, I think I was getting beat up pretty bad,” said Getzlaf, who grew up in Regina. “Fortunately enough, out there in Anaheim, it was quiet and we could deal with it and it doesn’t get overwhelming.”

Getzlaf didn’t lose his captaincy or his patience. Instead, he was allowed to work his way out of his slump, and the team is the better for it. In February, he rebounded with six goals and 20 points. Before last night’s season-ending game, he had scored 63 points in 70 games for an Anaheim team that is again expected to contend for a championship.

“When he was going through his little slump,” said Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau, “I’m sure he was a lot happier that he could walk in Newport and have nobody say anything, than be in downtown Toronto.”

“That’s a luxury we have out there,” said Getzlaf. “When you do go through tough patches like that, personally and as a team, you don’t deal with as much riding on your shoulders and with people beating you down or pressuring you to do different things.”

“I have never had a player that hasn’t put the large majority of the teams on their no-trade list from Canada,” said player agent Ritch Winter, whose clients include Marian Hossa, Cody Hodgson and Ilya Bryzgalov. “The issue is that certain players — and there’s a growing number of them — like their privacy. I tell this to general managers all the time: You have to be better in Canada to be successful, because they have to have another reason to attract players.”

“Every guy handles it differently, but it’s definitely easier when you have no media,” said Leafs forward Milan Michalek, who spent previous years playing in Ottawa and San Jose. “In San Jose, you get out of the rink and forget everything. You’ve got the sun and you just throw on some shorts and go by the pool or the ocean. It’s nice. It’s almost no media at all.”

Hockey players: the toughest athletes in sports! (Unless you ask them how they've been playing or it's chilly outside)

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

19 years since the Whalers left. Doesn't feel like that long at all. I feel old. "19" is also the average attendance for a Hartford Wolf Pack game, so the number is quite apropo.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

On 4/10/2016 at 11:47 AM, Brass said:

To be fair, Wheeler was an absolute dud here. Probably the most frustrating player to ever watch because he played with zero heart and zero grit; especially for a homeboy who's 6'5". Plus, Bruins got Rich Peverley who was a pretty instrumental piece to the Bruins cup run. Those 3rd and 4th lines for the Bruins in 2011 absolutely owned.

This.

His stats regressed each year he was in Boston, and he sucked. He wasn't built for that style of play the Bruins exuded in those years. They've moved a lot of talent of the past 5 years, and he's one of the few I'm not disgruntled about. 

Archived