NFL Fields - 2023 Wild Card Playoffs

pitt6pack

22 minutes ago, pitt6pack said:

but let's hope the NFL doesn't go all college football championship on us.

That's my worry if the Vikings make the Super Bowl. I could totally see them taking the lazy route and leaving one Vikings end zone and only putting in the wordmark for the AFC champion. 

iq5b7nF.png

I just noticed that 3 of the 4 games last week have the same design in each endzone and the same for this weekends games.  Is this the new trend in the NFL or is it just the teams we are seeing in the playoffs?  I personally like when team name is in one endzone and location name is in the other.

2 hours ago, jc... said:

That's my worry if the Vikings make the Super Bowl. I could totally see them taking the lazy route and leaving one Vikings end zone and only putting in the wordmark for the AFC champion. 

I still think they'd completely replace the turf for the game, so my guess is they'd use the format from the past two years. But let's hope that of the Vikings do make it, they'll change the endzone.

31 minutes ago, Yac12 said:

I just noticed that 3 of the 4 games last week have the same design in each endzone and the same for this weekends games.  Is this the new trend in the NFL or is it just the teams we are seeing in the playoffs?  I personally like when team name is in one endzone and location name is in the other.

I can speak for this year, but 10 of the 32 teams have had location in one endzone, and just team name in the other. I'm not entirely sure how those numbers have been throughout history, or just in recent years, since I'm missing a large number of fields not re-created yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pitt6pack said:

I still think they'd completely replace the turf for the game, so my guess is they'd use the format from the past two years. But let's hope that of the Vikings do make it, they'll change the endzone.

I can speak for this year, but 10 of the 32 teams have had location in one endzone, and just team name in the other. I'm not entirely sure how those numbers have been throughout history, or just in recent years, since I'm missing a large number of fields not re-created yet.

Of the teams I have documentation on. The Lions in the early 70's (while playing at Tiger Stadium) either had no endzone markings or diamonds (during baseball season) Then "LIONS" in the south endzone and the vistors team name in the north endzone. When they moved to the silverdome, it was always "LIONS" in both endzones. And then Ford Field, it has been "LIONS" or Detroit Lions in both endzones. As for the Cardnials; while in St Louis, I could not find any evidence of wordmarks in the endzones. Just the occasional "diamons" or a "Cardinal Head" . When they moved to Tempe, the endzones have always said Phoenix (or Arizona) in one endzone and Cardinals in the other, and that alternated, based on how Arizona State lettered the endzones that year, Then when the University of Phoenix Stadium opened the field has looked the same every year. As for Philly, in the Vet the endzones where either blank, had their secondary "Eagle" in Flight logo or the word "Eagles" occasionaly with the NFC and NFL logos on the corner's. So far in the "Linc" it has always been Eagles" from what I have pictures of. Only exception has been plyoff games where NFC logos of NFL shields have been added in,

Edited by SFCOM1
Added content

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

2 hours ago, pitt6pack said:

It will be interesting to see what you find.  IICR growing up, most teams had location in one and team name in the other.  It might be more of a college thing than NFL, but when I was a kid I'd make endzones for my Monday Night Football game and would have one and one thinking that was what teams had.  

Again, great work.  

7 minutes ago, jc... said:

Pitt, do you know if they still use that hybrid of real grass with the sewn in artificial turf? I think Green Bay does. The field looks in great shape. 

The Steelers use real grass. Looks like the re-sodded the field. Hopefully it holds up better than the Rams re-sodded field from last week. That was a complete mess.

As far as real grass with sewn in artificial turf goes, honestly I've never heard of that, and didn't know it was even a thing. For Green Bay I always assumed it was real grass due to how brown it can get in the winter. I do know that the Packers have pipes beneath the field to heat it, and I'm sure other teams do that as well.

Also looks like the grass shading is opposite of the Steelers regular season fields, so I'll have to make an update.

3 minutes ago, RayFinkle said:

The Divisional Logos on the Steelers field (I'll assume it will be the same for the other fields this weekend) just looks weak to me.  Barely even noticed them.

Yeah, the gray, silver, (whatever the NFL signature bland color is) is a little washed out. They will probably have to touch up the paint before the game since it's a couple days away, and who knows what the rain and snow will do to the field while its under the tarp tonight

I found the answer. It was called Grassmaster. Heinz Field did use it for one season. The problem was they still had to grow the grass, it couldn't be resodded because of the way the grass was intertwined with the artificial turf. So they switched back to grass. 

Green Bay still uses that system, but they only play a minimum of 10 games on it, and they can drag lights out on the field to grow the grass. Where Heinz Field gets more use because of the Steelers and University of Pittsburgh. 

iq5b7nF.png

11 hours ago, Rpitt6SB said:

Can you do the old field from three rivers stadium with the Steelers helments in the end zones like the Steelers used to do at Three rivers with the current design at Heniz Field or is it very hard. ? http://fields.gridiron-uniforms.com/images/playoffs/1995/r1024/PIT_1995^conf.png

Easy enough, I've just been working on other things recently. I do try to keep this thread low on requests though, since I have hundreds of past fields to still work on.

QnqQql9.png

• Like 2

On 1/13/2018 at 7:46 AM, pitt6pack said:

Easy enough, I've just been working on other things recently. I do try to keep this thread low on requests though, since I have hundreds of past fields to still work on.

I can understand that, I am still working on my 1983 Pontiac Silverdome field, That Lions 50th Anniversary logo is kicking my butt!

"Post Hoc, Ergo Propter Hoc!:  "After this, therefore, because of this."

f3dca0b9-3d53-4cd3-b468-7ac58806b3dc.png

A couple of older fields...

1995 Philadelphia Eagles (Includes wild card playoffs against Detroit)

PHI_1995%5Ewc.png

1996 Denver Broncos

DEN_1996%5E1.png

1996 Denver Broncos Divisional Playoffs

DEN_1996%5Ediv.png

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...