The Sports Media Thread

Caffeine TV, one of LIV's streaming partners, has shut down

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Articles/2024/06/27/caffeine-tv-liv-golf

St. Louis' 590 The Fan is intending to shut down their local sports programming

https://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/Articles/2024/06/27/st-louis-sports-radio-kfns

Corinthians is experiencing an impasse between Libra and LFU over the sale of Brasileirão TV rights in the midst of a serious political crisis and a bad phase on the pitch

Fred Bruno leaves Desimpedidos and ratifies NWB reformulation

Centauro, Placar notified by Brax for announcing Copa América broadcasts

ESPN coverage is kind of a reflection of cable news, radio, podcasts, youtube, etc. There's simply more time than is needed for coverage. The "facts" end up getting obscured for the sake of filling time. There's too much time to fill, which has had (impacts; redacted) on "news." And it's made sports coverage tedious and repetitive. I don't need 40 minutes on whether the Knicks or Sixers had a better draft or the exhausting Cowboys rabbit hole of the day.

It makes me a bit less interested overall. I grew up without cable and when I got to college in 1993, I think ESPN was at its peak...I loved it. Now it's just sort of an exhausting cycle of chatter. I don't dislike sports media personalities as much as most people. But that doesn't make the repetitive discussions/debates compelling.

ESPN was wise to dump the "Embrace Debate" slogan but that is still the bulk of the non-game coverage.

• Like 2

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

5 minutes ago, OnWis97 said:

ESPN coverage is kind of a reflection of cable news, radio, podcasts, youtube, etc. There's simply more time than is needed for coverage. The "facts" end up getting obscured for the sake of filling time. There's too much time to fill, which has had (impacts; redacted) on "news." And it's made sports coverage tedious and repetitive. I don't need 40 minutes on whether the Knicks or Sixers had a better draft or the exhausting Cowboys rabbit hole of the day.

It makes me a bit less interested overall. I grew up without cable and when I got to college in 1993, I think ESPN was at its peak...I loved it. Now it's just sort of an exhausting cycle of chatter. I don't dislike sports media personalities as much as most people. But that doesn't make the repetitive discussions/debates compelling.

ESPN was wise to dump the "Embrace Debate" slogan but that is still the bulk of the non-game coverage.

And now their biggest competitor FS1 became Embrace Debate as soon as the old school SportsCenter-like Fox Sports Live was canceled

The only thing the NHL could do for its Canadian media rights is repeating what they did in their ESPN and TNT deals.

My Possible Canadian NHL rights scenario from 2026:

Bell Media (Exclusive Stanley Cup Final rights in odd-numbered years)

CBC/Rogers/Quebecor (Exclusive Stanley Cup Final rights in even-numbered years)