The Sports Media Thread

7 hours ago, Digby said:

🚨 The infamous Norby is finally out at ESPN 🚨

His replacement? You guessed it: Mike Greenberg

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

8 hours ago, Digby said:

🚨 The infamous Norby is finally out at ESPN 🚨

I just saw that he was there for 40 years(!). We have people getting laid off on more than an occasion but this old guy can remain an executive for up to four decades? And he was also apparently not well-liked at ESPN either, which sounds like an understatement.

• 2 weeks later...

It's Mike Gorman's last regular season game doing play-by-play for the Celtics and there's all sorts of pomp around it. Hard to imagine the team going forward without him, he's been as much a piece of the Celtics as any player or coach over the course of my entire lifetime. One of the last of a dying breed, I've always liked hearing a classic Dorchester accent while watching a Boston team.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

9 hours ago, Digby said:

It's Mike Gorman's last regular season game doing play-by-play for the Celtics and there's all sorts of pomp around it. Hard to imagine the team going forward without him, he's been as much a piece of the Celtics as any player or coach over the course of my entire lifetime. One of the last of a dying breed, I've always liked hearing a classic Dorchester accent while watching a Boston team.

I hate to say it but every Gorman game I caught this season sounded like he was mailing it in pretty hard, like he was abbreviating his usual calls. It reminded me of old ass Motley Crue and how old, fat Vince Neil doesn't have the lung capacity to sing the full lyrics anymore so he just Hulks it with only the essential words.

18 hours ago, Digby said:

One of the very few local NBA broadcasters that matters or has ever mattered, I'd argue. 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

9 hours ago, who do you think said:

I hate to say it but every Gorman game I caught this season sounded like he was mailing it in pretty hard, like he was abbreviating his usual calls. It reminded me of old ass Motley Crue and how old, fat Vince Neil doesn't have the lung capacity to sing the full lyrics anymore so he just Hulks it with only the essential words.

Oh definitely, he's lost a few steps in recent years. Even despite that I'd rather listen to him than most others; there's still plenty of the echoes of why he was maybe the consummate professional PBP guy in history. (And also it's the nostalgia factor. I still miss Tom Heinsohn, for all his flaws.)

The new guy is fine as far as Gen-Z'ers go and has good intentions, apart from trying too hard to go viral. I like that he's not afraid to give it right back to Brian Scalabrine when he's being obnoxious (which is most times). Just tough to get used to Generic Sportscaster Voice on the telecast. Still maddening that Sean Grande didn't get the gig. 

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

4 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

John Sterling calls it a career 

THE FANS WHO HATE THE YANKEES WIN! THE FANS WHO HATE THE YANKEES WIN!

Good riddance. I get that he's a Yankees institution and all that, but I couldn't stand him. He was much better on TBS with the Braves back in the 80's.

• Like 4

BB52Big.jpg

Tonight is Jeff Rimer's last game on the call before he retires. He's been the TV play-by-play guy for the Blue Jackets since the 05 lockout, but also called games for the Panthers, Capitals, and Candiens before that. Once famously got in a clubhouse fight with Pete Rose during the 1984 Expos season. 

I hated Rimer at first because I didn't get him. He was unpolished, messed up names, never seemed to know what team the penalty was against, but I've grown attached to him over the last 20 seasons. Really loved all his little character moments, his genuine love for hockey, his small thesaurus of favorite phrases, and I get what he is now. He's a character. And as his time with the Blue Jackets got longer his homerism for the team got bigger and it came through over the air. A newer franchise without any success, it's nice and novel to have a homer in your corner.  Also developed a great ham and egg rapport with Jody Shelley. I'll miss him a lot. Wish he got to cover better teams in Columbus.

Hope the new person doesn't suck. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

So the exclusive negotiating window that NBA has with Turner and ESPN has expired, and now others can make bids for the NBA TV rights.    Amazon and NBC are contenders according to the Athletic.  If NBC returns, I want to see this return:

28 minutes ago, Marcos Flamengo said:

Roundball Rock belongs to FOX. Or I'm wrong?

I think you are correct, and they license it out.  AEW Wrestling on TNT/TBS has rights to it for some reason.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 4/25/2024 at 7:18 PM, TrueYankee26 said:

Don't expect to hear Roundball Rock in the NBA Finals for the first time in 22 years. 

Ugh this is the worst option. 

ESPN’s studio show is beyond awful and they insist on having virtual ads on the floor for PLAYOFF GAMES. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

I’m also hopeful that if NBC/Amazon/Whoever outbids TNT for the B package they buy out Inside the NBA and take them with. 

The basketball analysis on that show is awful but as a setting to see those four interact its perfect. I rarely watch postgame/pregame shows but that’s been appointment viewing for years. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience