The Sports Media Thread

18 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

I wouldn't know because I don't have Peacock and thus could not watch an NFL playoff game.

Only watched it because I was randomly in KC where it was shown on NBC

On 2024-01-14 at 8:43 PM, MJWalker45 said:

I have it for EPL games, the kiddo has it for the WWE PPV events. 

I know we're past the era of American soccer fans as the hipster set, but in this case the soccer crowd has had needless money-suck Peacock exclusives AND leagues/networks as 100 percent state-run media before they were mainstream. Those poor, poor MLS Extra Time dudes having to deal with the Open Cup abandonment with the vibes of a hostage tape.

I guess the good news is that Peacock has gone through every possible channel to offer free or heavily discounted subscriptions. I think I'm currently getting it for free through my credit card. As long as you're setting reminders to cancel once a month, it's still basically free. But the principle of it remains dodgy as hell.

On 2024-01-14 at 11:25 PM, The_Admiral said:

Is the billionaire a victim here? Who has more cultural currency, Taylor Swift or Tony Dungy?

We don't need to feel too sorry for Tony Dungy either, the man gets a multimillion salary to be a part-time talking head despite being the sort of person who believes that purple-haired teens are using litter boxes in high school.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/39327963/amazon-invest-diamond-sports-part-bankruptcy-deal

Amazon taking control of some former RSN channels as part of a bankruptcy deal. 

Is that ALL Bally Sports teams? The Cardinals just announced they'll receive their full payment for 2024, so I'm not sure if they'll be available on Amazon. I know my brothers were unable to watch them last year (which may have been a good thing) without cable (I used my Dad's Spectrum login to watch on the Bally Sports App).

1 minute ago, McCall said:

Is that ALL Bally Sports teams? The Cardinals just announced they'll receive their full payment for 2024, so I'm not sure if they'll be available on Amazon. I know my brothers were unable to watch them last year (which may have been a good thing) without cable (I used my Dad's Spectrum login to watch on the Bally Sports App).

I think MLB will want that to happen, but they don't get enough into the weeds in this article though. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 1/14/2024 at 3:08 PM, BBTV said:

You'll never hear any negative commentary on ESPN, and those panel shows (and McAfee) will all go away in favor of people sitting there talking about what a good person everyone is.  You won't hear a thing about any criminal activity, and a case like Watson's would likely be glossed right over.

Yep. The NFL will just buy away all of the criticism against it. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/39327963/amazon-invest-diamond-sports-part-bankruptcy-deal

Amazon taking control of some former RSN channels as part of a bankruptcy deal. 

We love our four viable American media companies, don't we, folks? We love them! We love them so much. We can't get enough of them! People are saying "how big can they get," I think they're going to get a lot bigger, believe me. And I think you're really going to like them even more.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

10 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

We love our four viable American media companies, don't we, folks? We love them! We love them so much. We can't get enough of them! People are saying "how big can they get," I think they're going to get a lot bigger, believe me. And I think you're really going to like them even more.

And Congress won't call them a monopoly because they will rename the service to something else with a shell providing cover. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Childhoods? Not even. SI was as mainstream a publication as existed for generations. My dad used to get that and Inside Sports. I had a subscription as a young adult myself, alongside ESPN the Magazine.

I've had random SI subscriptions start and stop over the years, as recently as 2021. SI used to be a great place, especially during football season, to read recaps of the prior week's games. Obviously that's no longer necessary, but it was nice when it was a good source.

SI.com was good for a while too when it had its own reporting staff. MMQB was destination writing every Monday for years. What a shame they couldn't make it work.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

22 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Childhoods? Not even. SI was as mainstream a publication as existed for generations. My dad used to get that and Inside Sports. I had a subscription as a young adult myself, alongside ESPN the Magazine.

Pretty much. I got my first subscription to SI when I was a kid in 1974. I even remember the cover of the first copy I received.

Gov4ZcC.png

I think my last subscription ran out in 2018. From 1974 thru 2018, there were stretches when I wasn't a subscriber, but they were few and far between. SI was the gold standard for a long time. What happened to it is a shame.

• Like 2

BB52Big.jpg

I don't know what equivalent we have to SI in modern times; every second of every game can be archived on YouTube and yet that has nothing to say and feels like a substantially worse way to catalogue an era. There's no particular reason this has to happen except that robber barons got put in charge of the thing.

• Like 5

An article with a little more insight:

https://apnews.com/article/sports-illustrated-layoffs-fd731d842f378305b4ddbb115538ed58

SI hasn't even been the true SI since Time Inc. got bought out. "Sports Illustrated" is just a brand that's been licensed out since 2019, and the license was revoked from the current publisher (probably because they've done a horrible job with it). So it's possible, if not probable, that Sports Illustrated will continue under a different publisher once the license holder finds someone else.

spacer.png

I don't know much about Front Office Sports as an outfit but they seem to have even more detail. Apparently the content-farm current publisher missed a licensing payment, which caused the weird IP holder operation to revoke the licensing (but they were thinking about doing so anyway). 

Also the guild employees still have 90 days to work while the others get laid off immediately. Unionize your workplaces, kids!

If you'd like to read several layers of sordid, gross, boring business machinations by suits who add no value: https://frontofficesports.com/sports-illustrateds-publisher-lays-off-entire-staff-future-unclear/

• Like 2

Between Conde Nast turning Pitchfork into an Exciting New Vertical of GQ and private equity killing off SI, just a really bleak week for publishing.

Sports Illustrated as an institution struggled in the digital world. They were one of the first sports reporting entities with a very thorough and working website. I remember using it back in the late 90s. But, as ESPN and other sites advanced, SI never really moved en masse to digital. Trying desperately to keep the magazine business their primary focus. This led to a slow death, but  a death nonetheless.

SI had a TV channel and seemed like they'd be a player in that regard. This was back before a real competitor to ESPN as a national entity was even a thing. You had the regional sports nets, but not a national sports network. But that never got the sports properties to make it big. They had National Lacrosse League games as one of the primary things on the network. I remember watching them back then. I knew that cnnsi.com had become the default web address for SI for years after the network failed.

10 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

Sports Illustrated as an institution struggled in the digital world. They were one of the first sports reporting entities with a very thorough and working website. I remember using it back in the late 90s. But, as ESPN and other sites advanced, SI never really moved en masse to digital. Trying desperately to keep the magazine business their primary focus. This led to a slow death, but  a death nonetheless.

Time Warner struggled mightily with the internet all the way back to the days of Pathfinder. They were bloated, stuffy, and old, which is why they couldn't keep up with ESPN and rolled over for AOL. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

I still have my copy of this SI baseball preview. SI missed the mark by just a little with this one. The Clevelands would go on to lose 100+ games that season.

bUT7YLv.jpg

I remember this!

The AL East had been won by six different teams in the six previous seasons. To think that Cleveland was going to make it a full 7-for-7 was seductive.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png