The Sports Media Thread

5 minutes ago, LAWeaver said:

I've been a sideline reporter once or twice (okay, it was when I was in college radio covering a D3 program...) but honestly, I totally get where they're coming from, minus the bit about coaches smelling their perfume.

Rod Marinelli dodging bullets like he's back in Vietnam, the story is somehow not him going "mmmm you smell niiiiice"

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to read the original but I can't even find it buried underneath the cruft of the "modern" Deadspin site, which made me nostalgic for the simple user experience patterns of 00s blogs and how that was a signifier vs. Big Media, but then eventually everyone fell into a middle-ground line (the single column for mobile but the layers of garbage and Outbrain ads cluttering it all anyway). No wonder it's all TikTok and podcasts now. Anyway, maybe Defector got their design and tech team, too.

• Like 1

Yeah, who would’ve thought going after a kid would blow up in their face? I guess anybody with more common sense than the average person at Neo-Spin does apparently. 

Oh well, if that kid’s family goes through with a defamation suit then maybe everyone working there should take up some Intro to Coding classes. Just to keep their skill set up. They could mine coal too, I guess. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cujo said:

The Hunt family seeing headdress black/redface boy getting a full week of media attention and massive far-right support

You think it's just the far right saying "don't sic the online army on a small child"?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, the admiral said:
7 hours ago, Cujo said:

The Hunt family seeing headdress black/redface boy getting a full week of media attention and massive far-right support

You think it's just the far right saying "don't sic the online army on a small child"?

• LOL 1

BB52Big.jpg

I'd be remiss in not pointing out that by using a picture of a black guy to communicate a comical reaction, Cujo himself  is engaging in the practice of "digital blackface." None of you are free from sin.

• LOL 1
  • Huh? 1

16 hours ago, Cujo said:

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952poc3dw7rk0nnc75ufa

I mean, I'm relatively certain the Hunt family - like most ownership groups in North American sports - are right wing, so they probably don't mind that.

But it does get to an annoyance I have in situations like this where SJW's and self-important progressives get so far ahead of themselves that they jump the gun on a story, run a hit piece without all the facts, and then look like absolute morons once the whole story emerges. "Boy who cried wolf" and all that crap. It's going to make it that much harder to legitimately fight this stuff the next time when something potentially more legitimate happens because people will just point back to this story.

When I saw Deadspin had published this article, I figured there were two possible people behind it, one being Julie DiCaro, or maybe the other person being the guy who tweeted something like "only white people can get away with this" about the Charissa Thompson story a couple weeks ago...it turned it I was right and it was the second person who did this story. People like that have no idea how much they themselves are racist. And, because this is the United States, we can't have a story like this be met with proper condemnation across non-political lines; this story's backlash must be a win for far right nutters and a failure for the radical left...Christ I hate this :censored:ing country.

spacer.png

4 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

When I saw Deadspin had published this article, I figured there were two possible people behind it, one being Julie DiCaro, or maybe the other person being the guy who tweeted something like "only white people can get away with this" about the Charissa Thompson story a couple weeks ago...it turned it I was right and it was the second person who did this story. 

It was that hotep race pimp Carron Phillips

8 hours ago, Kramerica Industries said:

I mean, I'm relatively certain the Hunt family - like most ownership groups in North American sports - are right wing, so they probably don't mind that.

My original point being: The Hunts are going to hang onto Chiefs moniker for dear life and would rather not see ANY media attention on this kid (right or left, positive or negative).

All this last week did was open Goodell's, the league's, the country's eyes to how this nickname stirs people up. It also leaves fans thinking "Why did Washington and Cleveland have to change, but not Kansas City?" Which is a legit question at this point. We all see the chop. the giant skin drum, and headdresses at KC games. The Chiefs actually "Native it up" more than Washington ever did. So ya, that's the attention the Hunts want no part of. Not sure how far away from an actual name change, but none of these tweets, tv shows and lawsuits help their cause.

• Like 3

6uXNWAo.png

I’d argue, if anything, the backlash to this article might’ve put that question to bed for the next decade at least. Heck, it was already trending that way anyways considering how the media all but censored the Tomahawk Chop in 2021 compared to the first ever Amazon Prime game in 2022 where it was on full display along with the big effing drum. Anyone who would want a change now is going to be responded to with this article. 

Edited by Red Comet

57 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

I’d argue, if anything, the backlash to this article might’ve put that question to bed for the next decade at least.

Maybe white people will drop their obsession with the cosmetic stuff and focus on the more pressing issues in the Native American community now. Who am I kidding? To do that would require more than the occasional outrage posts here and on social media - BBTV being the noted exception.

• Like 4

BB52Big.jpg