The Sports Media Thread

He's not wrong... but this seems a little much coming from a local broadcaster towards another team's player.  I've heard radio color guys go completely off (and John Kruk a few times on TV, but at least he works wrestling references into most of his rants), but this seems a little higher profile.

Feels more like he was auditioning for a role on one of those ESPN mid-day shows.  Maybe he was!

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

Is there any other city with that kind of longevity / consistency in their broadcast teams? 

Dewayne Staats has been the Rays TV broadcaster since the beginning in 1998.  Gene Deckerhoff has been calling Bucs radio since 1989.  I think the top tier definitely stays put in bigger cities, but there are definitely a few individuals who have been around a while too.

Calgary has had some pretty lengthy ones on the radio. The Flames a guy for their first season of 1980-81 and then Peter Maher from 1981-2014 and now the newest guy from 2014 to present. The Stampeders have had the same radio broadcast pairing for 25 years and the Hitmen have had the same play by play guy for 18.

For as much guff as they sometimes get, Brian Hayward has been there as TV colour since day one of the Ducks and John Ahlers has been play by play for 21 years now.

IbjBaeE.png

Double post because I forgot, the Hitmen's radio colour guy for about a dozen years up until 2017 (I can't seem to find a start date but if memory serves, probably since around the same time the current play by play guy started) was a long time and active police officer who got pretty high up within the Calgary Police Service by the time he was done on colour. He's since retired from the police and is now the Senior Director of Corporate Security for CSEC.

IbjBaeE.png

2 hours ago, TBGKon said:

Dewayne Staats has been the Rays TV broadcaster since the beginning in 1998.  Gene Deckerhoff has been calling Bucs radio since 1989.  I think the top tier definitely stays put in bigger cities, but there are definitely a few individuals who have been around a while too.

"Fun" fact: He was born in the town I used to live in and where I first started school.

4 hours ago, BBTV said:

I'm slightly closer to 50 than 40, and I've known exactly 2 Phillies TV main broadcasters, and 3 main radio guys, one Eagles guy, 2 Flyers guys, and 2 Sixers.  Color guys have come in and out, but even then, not that much.

Is there any other city with that kind of longevity / consistency in their broadcast teams? 

I'm slightly closer to 60 than 50. On the radio side, the Browns have had four PBP announcers in my life. The shortest tenures were Nev Chandler (9 years) who left in 1993 because he got sick (he died shortly after that) and Casey Coleman who took over for Nev and had the job in '94 and '95. Jim Donovan has called the games on radio since the Browns reanimated in '99. He went on leave early in the season because he's dealing with Leukemia. The team has been bringing in guest PBP guys

Tom Hamilton has been the Indians/Guardians PBP announcer since 1998 when he took over when Herb Score retired. Score had held the job since 1968.

The Cavs have seen some turnover on radio since Joe Tait left in 2011, but Tate had been calling Cavs games from their inception.

BB52Big.jpg

New York definitely have longevity with announcers.

Michael Kay has been the Yankees TV PXP announcer since the Yes Network started in 2002 so that is 22 seasons John Sterling Yankees radio PXP for even longer. Most people know this but before Kay went to the YES Network he was on the radio booth from 1992-2001. Even YES Back up announcers were there for a long time, Ken Singleton called games from 2002 to 2018 and Ryan Ruocco, who replaced Singleton, looks like he will be the next one to be here for a long time.

Then you have Bob Wischusen being the play by play announcer for the Jets since 2002.

The Rangers still have Sam Rosen calling games and he has been with MSG calling their games since 1984.

Knicks mainly had Marv Albert or Mike Breen call their games since I was alive

Nets had Ian Eagle call their games since 1995, Marv Albert called some games around the 2000s for the then-New Jersey Nets after he was fired by MSG

17 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

Oh no. One of the most make-work positions in a make-work industry admits to making up things for tv hits that nobody seems to enjoy doing?

Or watching. If there is something more pointless than a sideline reporter, I haven't seen it. It's all vapid bull:censored: that adds exactly nothing to a broadcast.

• Like 2

BB52Big.jpg

48 minutes ago, Cujo said:

TNF won't fire her. A suspension seems like a long-shot. But this is pretty wild to just admit faking stories it's NBD.

But ya, her credibility is likely damaged forever.

The hilarious part is no one knew the difference.

• Like 1

BB52Big.jpg

4 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

The hilarious part is no one knew the difference.

There was never a reason to doubt the reporting was legit. She blurted out that she faked stories to those Barfstool losers like it was no biggie.. Oops!

6uXNWAo.png

On 2023-11-11 at 9:18 AM, BBTV said:

I'm slightly closer to 50 than 40, and I've known exactly 2 Phillies TV main broadcasters, and 3 main radio guys, one Eagles guy, 2 Flyers guys, and 2 Sixers.  Color guys have come in and out, but even then, not that much.

I think it's pretty common, actually, especially in legacy markets. The Big Four broadcast jobs don't really change out very often at all at the local level. It's a limited pool with, I guess, some prestige. (Which is maybe why the intrigue of who'd come in after 43 years of Mike Gorman was such a thing... yet they picked generic Syracuse gen-Z guy...)

I'm going to dissent and say that Charissa Thompson is in big trouble for this, not for what she said but where she said it. She delegitimized journalists while guesting on Barstool. She will be punished for that. Even if she keeps her job, she will become a pariah in her professional circles.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

I'm going to dissent and say that Charissa Thompson is in big trouble for this, not for what she said but where she said it. She delegitimized journalists while guesting on Barstool. She will be punished for that. Even if she keeps her job, she will become a pariah in her professional circles.

Well, confirmed what we already knew, at least.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Another thing that helps Charissa not get the axe is that she is eye candy. Who wouldn't want to look at a beautiful girl like her lol.

It's 2023.  If you care about "eye candy" just get on the internet and you'll find more than enough for yourself.  Even if that's the reason she has that job, there's a thousand attractive women that could replace her at the snap of a finger.

Coach interviews are stupid in all sports.  All I need my sideline reporter to do is let me know who's in the tent, and if they're in there because they're using the porta-potty or if they have a concussion or something worse, and if they're coming back or not.  And it's not like she's digging around for the scoop - someone's telling her.  They could just tell someone with the network who could pass it on to the broadcast team.  Maybe if there's players yelling at each other on the sidelines, but even then I'm not sure what exactly they're doing.  It's usually pretty obvious to tell what it was about.

She should be fired simply for having the bad judgement to make those statements, regardless of how benign or indicting anyone finds them.  If I'm her boss, even if I didn't care about the specific thing she implied, I'd now be worried about what's the next dumb thing she'll say.

ALSO - in the world of sports betting, I assume there's some idiots that might listen to a sideline report and make a real-time bet based on what's said (that would be absolutely ridiculous, but it's technically possible.)  One could argue that falsifying information delegitimizes the broadcast and therefore the sport, and with the added scrutiny of gambling regulators, that could be problematic.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

https://www.mediaite.com/sports/erin-andrews-and-charissa-thompson-make-up-sideline-reports-to-protect-nfl-coaches-he-was-telling-me-all-the-wrong-stuff/

About two years ago, Erin Andrews and Charissa Thompson both joked about fabricating or heavily paraphrasing their so-called reports. One big difference: they didn't do so on the sworn enemy of respectable media.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

https://www.mediaite.com/sports/erin-andrews-and-charissa-thompson-make-up-sideline-reports-to-protect-nfl-coaches-he-was-telling-me-all-the-wrong-stuff/

About two years ago, Erin Andrews and Charissa Thompson both joked about fabricating or heavily paraphrasing their so-called reports. One big difference: they didn't do so on the sworn enemy of respectable media.

I've been a sideline reporter once or twice (okay, it was when I was in college radio covering a D3 program...) but honestly, I totally get where they're coming from, minus the bit about coaches smelling their perfume.

From my perspective, a sideline reporter's main value is 1) providing injury updates, and 2) initial postgame reaction on the field or on the sideline. So these types of "coach, what do you need to do better in the next quarter/half)" type of interviews don't truly add anything to the broadcast or the viewers' experience of watching the game. 

Props to them for being able to come up with SOMETHING on the spot because I know I would've rambled in those situations. 

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos