The Sports Media Thread

4 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

So apparently ESPN won several Emmys using false names, then handed them to their on-air personalities.

Since at least 2010, ESPN inserted fake names in Emmy entries, then took the awards won by some of those imaginary individuals, had them re-engraved and gave them to on-air personalities.

Wow.  But this raises the question: how could non-existent people have been awarded Emmys? Does this mean that the Emmy people do not actually review the work that is under consideration?

• Like 2

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

5 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Wow.  But this raises the question: how could non-existent people have been awarded Emmys? Does this mean that the Emmy people do not actually review the work that is under consideration?

0111_EmmysStory_inline-2-1024x600.png

What's even Stranger is that Sam Ponder was called Steven Ponder. Did they not know any other names for women that start with S? 

"While reviewing the 2010 and 2011 credit lists, The Athletic found three additional names that could not be verified that also closely resemble the names of “College GameDay” talent: Erik Andrews (Erin Andrews) in 2011; Wendy Nickson (Wendi Nix) and Jenn Brownsmith (Jenn Brown) in 2010. Nix confirmed that she was given an Emmy around 2010 and said she had no idea it was improperly obtained; it just arrived in the mail one day. She was not contacted about returning it before or after she left ESPN in August 2023. Brown, who left ESPN in 2013, confirmed she also was given one and didn’t know it was ill-gotten. She said: “This is all news to me and kind of unfortunate because you’ve got people who believe they rightfully had one. There are rules for a reason … it’s unfortunate (those were) abused and for so many years, too.” Brown said she has not been contacted by ESPN about returning it. Andrews, who left ESPN in 2012, declined to comment through a spokesperson".

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

19 hours ago, pmoehrin said:

I have family members who took demonstrably false information at face value, and it cost them their lives. That's why it's personal for me. That's where my anger over this comes from, and I direct as much of it as I can at the people I hold responsible for spreading that garbage. Aaron Rodgers is one of the names on that list. He ain't at the top, but he's there.

That is kind of the thing about these conversations always ending up in both-sidesism, as if it's still pre-2015. The size and the ultimate effects of the respective grifts are not proportionate. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

https://theathletic.com/5193316/2024/01/11/espn-emmys-fake-names-college-gameday/

So apparently ESPN won several Emmys using false names, then handed them to their on-air personalities. 

This is so bizarrely stupid, and so perfectly ESPN. Basically a dumb Emmys rule, the network with an orders-of-magnitude dumber response, all just to get participation trophies and keep Kirk Herbstreit's ego healthy. Industry award stuff is always pretty self-aggrandizing and pointless, so it's a natural thing to hatch a whole scheme over. What a stupid timeline.

• Like 2

Wouldn’t the people who received the trophies wonder why they were never contacted by any actual Emmy people and why they wouldn’t have been able to find any evidence of their “win” online?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

The EMMY wins were legit. None of the EMMYs  went to fake shows, just fake people. ESPN gamed the system and used the fake names to get extra trophies to give to the on-air staff who weren't eligible to receive them.

• Like 1
  • Hate 1

BB52Big.jpg

5 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Sounds like the fake names were listed as part of the production crew. My guess is the EMMYs aren't going to dig too deep on the credentials of the below the line staff. Anyone can be a production assistant.

• Like 2

BB52Big.jpg

6 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

0111_EmmysStory_inline-2-1024x600.png

What's even Stranger is that Sam Ponder was called Steven Ponder. Did they not know any other names for women that start with S? 

"While reviewing the 2010 and 2011 credit lists, The Athletic found three additional names that could not be verified that also closely resemble the names of “College GameDay” talent: Erik Andrews (Erin Andrews) in 2011; Wendy Nickson (Wendi Nix) and Jenn Brownsmith (Jenn Brown) in 2010. Nix confirmed that she was given an Emmy around 2010 and said she had no idea it was improperly obtained; it just arrived in the mail one day. She was not contacted about returning it before or after she left ESPN in August 2023. Brown, who left ESPN in 2013, confirmed she also was given one and didn’t know it was ill-gotten. She said: “This is all news to me and kind of unfortunate because you’ve got people who believe they rightfully had one. There are rules for a reason … it’s unfortunate (those were) abused and for so many years, too.” Brown said she has not been contacted by ESPN about returning it. Andrews, who left ESPN in 2012, declined to comment through a spokesperson".

The entertainment industry must be staffed entirely by nepotistic morons in order for this to have gone on as long as it did. 

Edited by Red Comet
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Accurate.

Heys, good on Deadspin for coming up with a story that didn’t involve doxing and slandering children. Improvement all around!

EDIT: The Athletic was responsible. 

Edited by Red Comet
Fact checked and :censored: Deadspin

33 minutes ago, Red Comet said:

Hey, good on Deadspin for coming up with a story that didn’t involve doxing and slandering children. Improvement all around!

?

This was uncovered by The Athletic

12 hours ago, GDAWG said:

I almost feel like this is a monopoly situation, but would this eventually lock NBC, Amazon, Fox and CBS out of games or just move people around from New York to Bristol?

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I almost feel like this is a monopoly situation, but would this eventually lock NBC, Amazon, Fox and CBS out of games or just move people around from New York to Bristol?

The current NFL TV contract began this year and runs through 2033 so it's going to be a while before something like that can happen.

• Like 1

spacer.png

You'll never hear any negative commentary on ESPN, and those panel shows (and McAfee) will all go away in favor of people sitting there talking about what a good person everyone is.  You won't hear a thing about any criminal activity, and a case like Watson's would likely be glossed right over.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."