The Sports Media Thread

On 10/8/2023 at 10:42 AM, Sec19Row53 said:

Always get the shot.

he-was-like-oh-my-balss.gif

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I do not like Wayne Gretzky doing TV. For one thing, his face is pulled taut and for a guy who famously slipped almost all contact, he talks like he's been bonked on the head with a mallet 5,000 times. But more than that, he's Wayne Gretzky! He's the greatest of all greatest of all times. He should float benevolently above the hockey world. It should be a big deal to see or hear from him. He should have better things to do with his time than sit on a soundstage in Atlanta next to useless goddamn Paul Bissonnette. 

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

It's Mike Gorman's last year on the mic for the Celtics, and NBC Sports Boston has hired Drew Carter (guy who did the Toy Story football game) as his transitional-year fill-in and full-time replacement. People are mad given that Sean Grande has become pretty beloved on the radio for the past 20 years and did well as Gorman's road-trip replacement on TV last season. But he's twice the age of the new guy and presumably asks for/deserves a better salary.

New guy seems professional enough and I'm sure he's a nice guy but man, this is the Celtics broadcast. From Johnny Most to Mike Gorman to... this guy.

I just listened to some of the Toy Story game and he seems to be alright. My interest in watching Red Sox games waned quite a bit when they pushed out Orsillo in favor of O'Brien, I don't think that will happen here. It is time for Gorman to go regardless.

They're gonna need a better color guy than Scalabrine though. Gorman is such a seasoned pro that he can always recover seamlessly when Scal leaves him hanging. This guy is a rookie.

• 2 weeks later...

I am highly expecting the Texas Rangers to return to Bally's Sports Southwest in 2024.  The Mavericks and Stars are still on the channel with their games, but sooner or later as the Bally's bubble bursts, all three are going to have to find a channel to broadcast games. They can go regular, local TV as all three teams at one point were on local TV.  The Rangers had games for a long time (during the Nolan Ryan Era) on KTVT Channel 11 before KTVT became the CBS affiliate for Dallas/Fort Worth.  They then moved to KTXT Channel 39 before it became a Spanish station and then to KDFI 27 before moving to Bally's Southwest when it was Fox Sports Southwest.  

Stars were on KDFI 27 for a while before the move to Fox Sports Southwest, with both channels splitting games.  Same with the Mavericks on TXA 21 before a permanent move to what is now Bally's Sports Southwest.   The only times a Mavericks or Rangers games are on regular TV is if the game is national.  I can see the Mavericks and Stars going to local TV again for all of their games if Bally's cut ties.  

• 3 weeks later...

White Sox kick local guy and lifelong Sox fan Jason Benetti out the door and to Detroit, in devastating news to the razor-thin overlap of people who like the White Sox and have also read Infinite Jest.

14 hours ago, the admiral said:

White Sox kick local guy and lifelong Sox fan Jason Benetti out the door and to Detroit, in devastating news to the razor-thin overlap of people who like the White Sox and have also read Infinite Jest.

From what I gathered, Benetti was the proactive one who looked into Detroit first and the White Sox let him.

9 hours ago, TBGKon said:

From what I gathered, Benetti was the proactive one who looked into Detroit first and the White Sox let him.

I don't think that's the whole story. It comes back to, as it so often does, Jerry Reinsdorf not believing in negotiating with agents. Do you really think a Homewood-Flossmoor guy whose lifelong dream was to call Sox games would kick the tires on Detroit without being made to leave first?

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

I don't think that's the whole story. It comes back to, as it so often does, Jerry Reinsdorf not believing in negotiating with agents. Do you really think a Homewood-Flossmoor guy whose lifelong dream was to call Sox games would kick the tires on Detroit without being made to leave first?

spacer.png

I'm slightly closer to 50 than 40, and I've known exactly 2 Phillies TV main broadcasters, and 3 main radio guys, one Eagles guy, 2 Flyers guys, and 2 Sixers.  Color guys have come in and out, but even then, not that much.

Is there any other city with that kind of longevity / consistency in their broadcast teams? 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."