The Sports Media Thread

20 hours ago, the admiral said:

But in that metaphor, the rotting leg is Suzy Kolber and "being unusually bad at producing NBA coverage" is the body.

Yeah, and in an ideal scenario, the company in question would adapt to the times, the guys in charge would tighten their belts too after making a bunch of people unemployed before a holiday and, oh yeah, not be a bunch of out of touch dolts. 

This is clearly not the case with ESPN.

Edited by Red Comet
  • Like 3

On 7/1/2023 at 6:12 PM, Marcos Flamengo said:
Don't be surprised much less be scared if DAZN makes an aggressive move to take over Canadian national NHL broadcasting rights from Rogers starting in the 2026/2027 season.

Why would anyone be scared of this?

BB52Big.jpg

29 minutes ago, Marcos Flamengo said:

I think no one would be scared if this one happen

Didn't you say don't be scared?

On 7/1/2023 at 6:12 PM, Marcos Flamengo said:

Don't be surprised much less be scared if DAZN makes an aggressive move to take over Canadian national NHL broadcasting rights from Rogers starting in the 2026/2027 season.

• LOL 1

BB52Big.jpg

As a boxing fan, do be scared of DAZN. They are awful. Admittedly their biggest issue is the broadcast team so that shouldn’t directly carry over to hockey, but until proven otherwise assume DAZN is garbage. The big fight feeling is nonexistent on DAZN productions. Not a hockey fan or Canadian so not sure what is in place now, but if I was, I wouldn’t be pulling for DAZN to takeover. 

Canada basically has a telecommunications duopoly (and the government is totally fine with both halves of it owning the Maple Leafs because, I dunno, they're too busy talking about Justin Trudeau's Kooky Socks or something). NHL rights will continue to ping-pong between Rogers and Bell forever. I have no clue what you're talking about.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 7/4/2023 at 9:22 AM, the admiral said:

Canada basically has a telecommunications duopoly (and the government is totally fine with both halves of it owning the Maple Leafs because, I dunno, they're too busy talking about Justin Trudeau's Kooky Socks or something). NHL rights will continue to ping-pong between Rogers and Bell forever. I have no clue what you're talking about.

I just can imagine if Bell takes over national NHL rights in Canada from 2026. If they takes over, would be nice to see The Hockey Theme being heard coast to coast across Canada.

On 7/4/2023 at 12:24 AM, OaklandIsBack said:

As a boxing fan, do be scared of DAZN. They are awful. Admittedly their biggest issue is the broadcast team so that shouldn’t directly carry over to hockey, but until proven otherwise assume DAZN is garbage. The big fight feeling is nonexistent on DAZN productions. Not a hockey fan or Canadian so not sure what is in place now, but if I was, I wouldn’t be pulling for DAZN to takeover. 

I don't know if Mediapro wants to get NHL national rights in Canada. Mediapro's OneSoccer are struggling to get carriage on Rogers, per example.

It would be nice to see RDS replacing RDS Direct with RDS+, just like TSN did by replacing TSN Direct with TSN+.

1 hour ago, Marcos Flamengo said:

And those who were fired from the NYT's sports department will be integrated into the Athletic?

Most times when mergers occur, any duplication of efforts can occasionally cause some people to be let go.

Edit: This AP article states those Times staff effected will move to other roles with the NY Times

https://apnews.com/article/new-york-times-sports-athletic-83d7b725499fb3572dc5dde766d5a0be