The Sports Media Thread

"All games are free agents" - I wonder how that will work, considering the package was sold as AFC=CBS, NFC=FOX, select games on Thursday and SNF (NBC.) Seems to be a pretty dramatic shift to the model that would require a lot of sign off.  Maybe there's some kind of draft?  They'd need to do it well in advance to plan the travel for the production crews.

I like not having to think, and I like that the pregame shows tend to focus on the package they cover.  Will get used to it, just like anything, but I like the stability and reliability of knowing that non-prime-time games are usually on FOX unless they're playing an AFC team in Phila, in which case CBS.

Word on the street is that the Eagles may be tapped for the Black Friday game for some reason, which could be great... or could be awful.  

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

And then there's the undesirable leftover games that really serve only the markets of the teams involved (like the aforementioned Texans v Jags.)  Someone has to air that.

Good point re: bidding.  I assume since the deals are already signed, they can't charge the networks any more money, but they could give them a phony salary cap" and let them "bid" for games.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, RyanMcD29 said:

So this came out of left field with all the NFL TV news... Peacock's getting an exclusive wild card game

Boy do I hate that.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 minute ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Boy do I hate that.

Bar owners probably do too.

EDIT: 

Again... how can this happen when the rights weren't renegotiated?  I'm really baffled by these changes.

1 minute ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Not really. I'll go to a bar to watch it.

I'm glad that works for you.  Really.  Maybe it's not the big deal I'm making it out to be.

Back in the day, PPV and other pay services would have certain rules requiring commercial establishments to pay a different fee for the ability to legally show things like boxing and wrestling.  It's 2023 and a lot of things have changed, so I have no idea if there's any rules about it.  But either way,, getting Peacock is an additional expense (though not really much) for a place to pay.  Also in my limited experience at places that streamed the Amazon games, it wouldn't fail that one or more of the devices would be on a few seconds lag, and you'd hear cheering from one end of the place before you saw what happened.  Also, depending on the place, the bar staff isn't always even aware that it's a streaming game and they need to pull out a Roku, and then they fumble around to figure out how to use it (which blows my mind, because it's not like they don't use Netflix or Prime at home... but it's like as soon as they're out of their house, they completely forget how things work... and why not just keep the damned device connected??) 

Granted, I'm not going to "sports bars", but it's still silly how they go braindead when they have to turn on the same service they use at home, but outside their home (though I don't know any non-wrestling fan that actually watches Peacock, whether they have it or not.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, BBTV said:

I'm glad that works for you.  Really.  Maybe it's not the big deal I'm making it out to be.

Back in the day, PPV and other pay services would have certain rules requiring commercial establishments to pay a different fee for the ability to legally show things like boxing and wrestling.  It's 2023 and a lot of things have changed, so I have no idea if there's any rules about it.  But either way,, getting Peacock is an additional expense (though not really much) for a place to pay.  Also in my limited experience at places that streamed the Amazon games, it wouldn't fail that one or more of the devices would be on a few seconds lag, and you'd hear cheering from one end of the place before you saw what happened.  Also, depending on the place, the bar staff isn't always even aware that it's a streaming game and they need to pull out a Roku, and then they fumble around to figure out how to use it (which blows my mind, because it's not like they don't use Netflix or Prime at home... but it's like as soon as they're out of their house, they completely forget how things work... and why not just keep the damned device connected??) 

Granted, I'm not going to "sports bars", but it's still silly how they go braindead when they have to turn on the same service they use at home, but outside their home (though I don't know any non-wrestling fan that actually watches Peacock, whether they have it or not.

Understood. The place I have in mind already shows the Amazon games on Thursday nights. They'll have this.

They also show UFC events. Bowling alleys are awesome🤣

Edit - yes, this sucks. I can make do with one game. Yes it will be more, but I'll deal with that as I need to.

Edited by Sec19Row53
More info

It's where I sit.

17 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Also in my limited experience at places that streamed the Amazon games, it wouldn't fail that one or more of the devices would be on a few seconds lag, and you'd hear cheering from one end of the place before you saw what happened. 

My stream (Hulu) tends to be about 30 seconds behind ESPN.com, so I'll frequently see a score update on my ESPN app before it happens on the screen.

Plus if you randomly hit the pause button, it can be hard to go live again; there's always a few seconds or so that you'll always be behind.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 5/8/2023 at 7:25 PM, BBTV said:

"All games are free agents" - I wonder how that will work, considering the package was sold as AFC=CBS, NFC=FOX, select games on Thursday and SNF (NBC.) Seems to be a pretty dramatic shift to the model that would require a lot of sign off.  Maybe there's some kind of draft?  They'd need to do it well in advance to plan the travel for the production crews.

I like not having to think, and I like that the pregame shows tend to focus on the package they cover.  Will get used to it, just like anything, but I like the stability and reliability of knowing that non-prime-time games are usually on FOX unless they're playing an AFC team in Phila, in which case CBS.

Word on the street is that the Eagles may be tapped for the Black Friday game for some reason, which could be great... or could be awful.  

When it comes to the 1pm timeslot, the big driver for both Fox and CBS will be which local markets NEED the game more for viewership (both home and away team numbers).

Imagine there's a Browns @ Colts game. WJW (fox) and WOIO (CBS) are both the local stations in Cleveland that want that game. But over in Indianapolis, it's between WTTV (CBS4) and WXIN (FOX59).

Tribune Media owns  WJW, WTTV, and WXIN. Gray Television owns WOIO. Indy is a wash regardless which network gets it, but you gotta believe WOIO is SCREAMING at CBS to get that game on their network instead of letting Tribune get it on their stations in both markets.

The only matter CBS and Fox has is which one might draw better outside their local markets. But you gotta believe there isn't a huge difference unless it's a disparity in total number of games each has and matchup wise there's a better one out there (say 6 for one network and only 4 for the other).  But they've got to keep their local affiliates happy.

That one Peacock playoff game cost $110M

per WSJ:

The National Football League has struck a one-year deal with NBCUniversal’s Peacock to carry a playoff game exclusively on the streaming service this coming season, the two parties said Monday.

Terms of the deal weren’t announced, but people familiar with the matter said it is in the range of $110 million. The Peacock playoff game will be in prime time on Saturday, Jan. 13, which is the first weekend of the NFL playoffs, known as Wild Card Weekend.

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2023/05/peacock-is-paying-110-million-for-one-nfl-wild-card-playoff-game.html

15 minutes ago, BBTV said:

That one Peacock playoff game cost $110M

per WSJ:

The National Football League has struck a one-year deal with NBCUniversal’s Peacock to carry a playoff game exclusively on the streaming service this coming season, the two parties said Monday.

Terms of the deal weren’t announced, but people familiar with the matter said it is in the range of $110 million. The Peacock playoff game will be in prime time on Saturday, Jan. 13, which is the first weekend of the NFL playoffs, known as Wild Card Weekend.

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2023/05/peacock-is-paying-110-million-for-one-nfl-wild-card-playoff-game.html

If they sign up 22,000,000 on the $5 tier, they'll break even!

11 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

If they sign up 22,000,000 on the $5 tier, they'll break even!

They likely broke even after the first ad break checks cashed.

• Like 1
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

27 minutes ago, CS85 said:

They likely broke even after the first ad break checks cashed.

Good point.

The thing is, I believe in a future where I can pay $5 to watch any out-of-market NFL game I want. I don't think that's unreasonable. And I also think there might be something to the NFL viewing playoff games as PPV events.

Though if the application of that is 15 different streaming accounts with 15 different apps and 15 different log-ins I have to complete with my TV remote, forget it.

Also, I don't watch a future with PPV NFL games. I could just totally see it happening. They could absolutely charge $50 for the Super Bowl AND still run ads. Enough people would pay for it to make it work. Would 20 million people pay $50 to watch the Super Bowl so the NFL could make a billion dollars?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Also, I don't watch a future with PPV NFL games. I could just totally see it happening. They could absolutely charge $50 for the Super Bowl AND still run ads. Enough people would pay for it to make it work. Would 20 million people pay $50 to watch the Super Bowl so the NFL could make a billion dollars?

Former ESPN CEO John Skipper can totally see it happening, with the price being as high as $250

• Like 1

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

11 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

Former ESPN CEO John Skipper can totally see it happening, with the price being as high as $250

It's all inevitable.  The entire product, every single aspect of it, will enter a closed system.  Annual subscriptions, local market premium fees, PPV super bowl, draft, and playoffs.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

29 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

Lol $250!!!

Great for the bar scene. But absolutely zero chance I would ever pay that.

• Like 2