The Sports Media Thread

On 1/17/2023 at 4:47 PM, Digby said:

I didn't know the CW was still a thing. One of those television channels that I don't understand the point of in the modern era. I guess this is the point!

Other than short lived DC Comics TV shows, that's all I knew they had.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The WB, UPN, and CW never really seemed to aspire to program more than ten hours a week on weeknights. I think the only thing any of them had approaching a sports department was when UPN ran a couple weeks of the XFL. They were really just syndication blocks with more thorough branding.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

11 hours ago, the admiral said:

The WB, UPN, and CW never really seemed to aspire to program more than ten hours a week on weeknights. I think the only thing any of them had approaching a sports department was when UPN ran a couple weeks of the XFL. They were really just syndication blocks with more thorough branding.

At least WB and UPN had hit shows like Pokemon and Attitude era Smackdown that were cultural phenomenons of the late 90s and early 2000s. CW not so much.

• Like 2

CW had most/all of the run of Supernatural. Don't tell me you don't work with girls who never shut up about Supernatural. They also had that last season of Gilmore Girls that just sucked to high heaven, which sucked precisely because the CW needed marquee WB shows and dragged one last year out of a show that was supposed to have ended.

One or more of those channels shared the Red Sox and Bruins broadcasts with NESN for years in Boston, so I imagine they may have had local sports elsewhere too. Of course that was an era where that made sense to do and those channels were perfect for it. Nowadays, not so much, though I also feel like the likes of TNT are equally pointless channels in the streaming era.

2 hours ago, the admiral said:

CW had most/all of the run of Supernatural. Don't tell me you don't work with girls who never shut up about Supernatural. They also had that last season of Gilmore Girls that just sucked to high heaven, which sucked precisely because the CW needed marquee WB shows and dragged one last year out of a show that was supposed to have ended.

Oh yeah, Supernatural. I think that was the last WB/UPN show (that continually aired since 2006 so barring revivals) to come off the air excluding Smackdown which is of course now on FOX.

1 hour ago, Digby said:

One or more of those channels shared the Red Sox and Bruins broadcasts with NESN for years in Boston, so I imagine they may have had local sports elsewhere too. Of course that was an era where that made sense to do and those channels were perfect for it. Nowadays, not so much, though I also feel like the likes of TNT are equally pointless channels in the streaming era.

Yeah, lots of the UHF channels that became WB/UPN affiliates, such as they were, had long been in the business of local sports when the netlets started in '95. I remember the Bucks and Brewers on Super 18 even long after it had ceased to be super. I think the Philly teams were on 17, 57, or both. There was another one way up the dial in Detroit that had the Wings.

I'm kind of surprised there had never been a tertiary "NHL on UPN" deal early on. It feels like it'd have been an appropriate meeting of mediocrities. 

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

I think the Philly teams were on 17, 57, or both.

Back when I was just a lowercase g, the Phillies were on 29, which eventually became FOX, then moved to 17 in early '90s. 17 became The WB, and then "My Network TV". 

This might not be totally accurate, but based on memory, some Flyers and Sixers road games were on 48 then eventually 57 then 17, with home games only on Prism (pay TV - kinda like HBO, with some titty movies late at night) which sucks because you needed cable (which we didn't have) and then pay an extra 10-20/month.   I think at some point, even most road games were only on Prism, with only a handful available for free.  When Comcast took over everything, Sixers and Flyers mostly moved to CSN, with maybe a few random games on 57 (which eventually became the CW... I think.)

For some reason I think there was a gap where not all Sixers or Flyers games were even televised locally.

I vaguely remember one of them being UPN, but I lost track and stopped caring.

Nowadays I have no idea who owns what, and when there's conflicts, there might be a random Phillies games on NBC, but if the local NBC station can't air it because of a national network conflict, they'll be on 17 or some random-ass cable channel.  There's a second Comcast (or NBC sports Philly) channel that handles some of the overflow, but for some reason it's not always used.

EDIT: now that I'm interested, I'm trying to find a history of each team's broadcast partners, but coming up empty.  Lots of gaps in the few pages I've found.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Wikipedia is usually good about doing that year-by-year for the NHL if you do "list of __ broadcasters," but a lot of MLB teams are poorly organized and some NBA teams may not have pages at all. I feel like local NBA coverage has always been a distant third in hearts and minds, with a few exceptions here and there. Neil Funk retired from the Bulls after like 30 years and no one seemed to think much of it.

• Like 1

The Texas Rangers once did games on KTVT Channel 11 in Dallas when it was an independent station, before it became CBS.  It's approaching 30 years of it being a part of CBS.  And that happened when Fox acquired KDFW Channel 4 after they acquired the NFL for the first time ever.  The former Fox Affiliate, KDAF Channel 33 is now CW 33 but before that was WB.  KTXA Channel 21 is now an independent station, doing FC Dallas up until this last season and once did Texas Rangers, Dallas Mavericks and Dallas Stars games.  

I never figured out why the Braves put Jim Powell on the shelf. I thought he was terrific with the Brewers, and fans in Atlanta seemed to feel the same about his work with the Braves, but he pretty much stopped doing games after Don Sutton died. They should bring him back full-time; he can't be that old.

So earlier today on his weekly radio appearance on KTCK in Dallas, Darryl Johnston said that while FOX hasn't announced the teams for 2023, he suggests that Tom Brady be a part of the FOX NFL Sunday Crew, keeping Greg Olsen where he is.  He said that recent health issues by Terry Bradshaw and whether or not Jimmy Johnson wants to fly cross country from Miami to Los Angeles anymore could play a factor in how FOX structures their announce teams for 2023.  

27 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Why have people turned on Romo? I still think he's great.

Romo has gone from an energetic and insightful football analyst and to a teenage fanboy who shouts and rambles into a microphone for three hours. His absurd commentary, non-stop overexcitement, and elite QB dickriding have really started to take away from the game. Almost feels like Romo wants more attention on himself than game itself. At times, I find myself more concerned about "wtf is Romo going to blurt out?" than what's actually happening on on the field.

• Like 2

6uXNWAo.png

7 hours ago, GDAWG said:

So earlier today on his weekly radio appearance on KTCK in Dallas, Darryl Johnston said that while FOX hasn't announced the teams for 2023, he suggests that Tom Brady be a part of the FOX NFL Sunday Crew, keeping Greg Olsen where he is.  He said that recent health issues by Terry Bradshaw and whether or not Jimmy Johnson wants to fly cross country from Miami to Los Angeles anymore could play a factor in how FOX structures their announce teams for 2023.  

Seems like a waste, since the whole point of having an ex QB in the booth is to do what Tony Romo used to be able to do, and let you know why teams were doing what they were doing - in real time.

You really don't need anyone with any actual intelligence on a studio show - just people with personalities that are goofy and pretend that they know what they're talking about when talking about teams they've probably never watched.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Brady on the studio show is even more horrifying than him doing color. Ghastly visions of Terry Bradshaw having a stroke on the air and Brady just saying "haha, yeah, you're telling me!"

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

9 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Why have people turned on Romo? I still think he's great. If CBS doesn't have the best booth, who does?

I don't think he ever was.

People talked about Romo because he would call out plays before the snap.  Him fast-talking the formation and the QB reads as the play clock was winding down was just as annoying to me as the weird noises he makes when he is trying to determine on replay if a player stepped out of bounds.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1