The Sports Media Thread

I don't totally understand this.  If you follow the real people, then how do you even come across these fake accounts?  A legit local NFL reporter was fooled by the fake Adam Schefter account even though he obviously follows the real Schefter.  How would these fake guys even come up in people's feeds?

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

53 minutes ago, BBTV said:

I don't totally understand this.  If you follow the real people, then how do you even come across these fake accounts?  A legit local NFL reporter was fooled by the fake Adam Schefter account even though he obviously follows the real Schefter.  How would these fake guys even come up in people's feeds?

Agreed. All I can figure is that they saw someone who WAS fooled (however it happened) and re-tweeted it. The person who follows the real Shefty didn't think, and thus it spreads.

All this harumphing about buying your check is funny to me. It won't change who I follow, so I don't really care about it. 

• Like 2

It's where I sit.

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

I don't totally understand this.  If you follow the real people, then how do you even come across these fake accounts?

For years twitter users see the ☑️ and automatically know it's the real deal, coming from the actual celeb/athlete/politician.

Until yesterday.

Musk made it so anyone with eight freaking bucks can get the ☑️, essentially making them appear as someone famous. A lot of ppl are just firing up burner accounts and dropping the $8 for shytes and giggles. Companies are going to stop advertising and celebs could even sue for defamation. It's evolving into total shyteshow over there right now.

• Like 4

6uXNWAo.png

12 minutes ago, Cujo said:

For years twitter users see the ☑️ and automatically know it's the real deal, coming from the actual celeb/athlete/politician.

Until yesterday.

Musk made it so anyone with eight freaking bucks can get the ☑️, essentially making them appear as someone famous. A lot of ppl are just firing up burner accounts and dropping the $8 for shytes and giggles. Companies are going to stop advertising and celebs could even sue for defamation. It's evolving into total shyteshow over there right now.

The insane part is that by monetizing it, he's actively devaluing what he's trying to monetize. Musk has enacted a plan to slowly but surely tear down the platform he paid 44 billion for.

• Like 1

I haven't seen any reports of emergency services being spoofed by the new system, but that's one of the many obvious risks of "verification" for everyone.

The blue check system had its own challenges, but it was clearly better than what it's been replaced by.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Agreed. All I can figure is that they saw someone who WAS fooled (however it happened) and re-tweeted it. The person who follows the real Shefty didn't think, and thus it spreads.

Yup. This is exactly how it worked. I follow literally over a thousand people, because I like my feed to be a constant stream rather than something I catch up on and read all of it, and I saw somebody QT the fake Schefty right as I logged in. I had no reason to doubt the check until I scrolled further. 

• Like 3

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

1 hour ago, Cujo said:

Until yesterday.

I get that - but that's not my point.  My point is that if you already follow the blue-check, then the imposter wouldn't appear in your feed unless you sought it out.  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 minutes ago, BBTV said:

I get that - but that's not my point.  My point is that if you already follow the blue-check, then the imposter wouldn't appear in your feed unless you sought it out.  

People you follow may share the fake content. Then you'll see it.

• Like 4

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

2 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

People you follow may share the fake content. Then you'll see it.

When they do, change your settings so that you don't see their re-tweets. If something is real, you'll see it based on your follows.

I busted the chops of a local sports radio station who re-tweeted a fake retirement of Nick Saban two weeks ago before all this started. Guard who you follow and this doesn't happen.

It's where I sit.

7 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

When they do, change your settings so that you don't see their re-tweets.

Which is tough is you follow more than say 20 people..

In the end, a simple resolution to all this would be to re-color real celeb checkmarks to red or something. But that kinda defeats the purpose of the new checkmark people are paying for.

Ah, what a fine mess this turned out to be. 😂👏

• Like 2

6uXNWAo.png

I work in web analytics, and everything my company does is tested to the nth degree. Even a simple ad placement change is tested out for weeks, if not months. Not just my company but any place I've ever worked for. You don't just roll something out because you think it's a good idea, let alone decide to completely change your company's business model overnight without bothering to figure out if it's even viable.

And I'm sure Twitter operated under the same principle. I even thought about applying for jobs there because it seemed like a nice place to work, and boy, am I glad I didn't because what I've seen is about the holiest of holy, you know what, in terms of how things are being run.

I'm at a loss for words over the gross incompetence that is on display right now. It's like watching a regular Joe come off the street, get into a NASCAR, and tell the driver who just got out of the car, "watch and learn, buddy," as he tears out of pit row while the car is out of gear. He thinks he's about to set a track record, and everyone else who knows anything about how this stuff works is praying he can make it through a lap without wrecking the car.

The fake verified accounts on Twitter are just funny to me. A fake Adam Schefter account already got me on one story. There's not much I can do aside from laughing about it before deleting the tweet.

But from Twitter's perspective, I'm watching the very foundation of the site being whittled away by a guy with a sledgehammer asking, "what's this beam for" and hammering at it before you can even open your mouth. The rationale being if the building doesn't fall down immediately, it proves we didn't need it. And if the building does fall down, it's your fault for not answering him fast enough.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1

It's funny because anyone who's ever worked with anyone who came in at a high level but was clearly clueless can see so clearly what's going on.

But there's a longstanding, unearned cult of personality around Elon that blinds people to what's happening right in front of their faces. No, he didn't invent electric cars, no the hyperloop isn't real, no he won't reinvent mass transit, and no he isn't a social network genius.

$44 billion is too much, but a twitter-like service would have public benefits and we've clearly shown we need something like it.  I don't know how to get there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cujo said:

Which is tough is you follow more than say 20 people..

In the end, a simple resolution to all this would be to re-color real celeb checkmarks to red or something. But that kinda defeats the purpose of the new checkmark people are paying for.

Ah, what a fine mess this turned out to be. 😂👏

Maybe. Maybe not. I limit my follows because I'll see what I need. I recognize that my use of Twitter doesn't match anyone else's, but I'm also positive I'll never fall for a paid-for check mark.

Yeah - that's asking for it to bite me in the backside.

It's where I sit.