The Sports Media Thread

On 8/10/2022 at 12:53 AM, Germanshepherd said:

Going to be interesting to see how this affects ESPN’s B1G coverage going forward. Will GameDay still come if ESPN has no financial incentive to promote the conference at all?

Rarely unless of course a theoretical all B1G NC game or if there are no similar big SEC matchup

18 hours ago, Marcos Flamengo said:

Warner Bros. Discovery, currently, has no college football contract. It would be so good to see Pac-12 move to WBD's channels and streaming service.

Would not be the 1st time Pac 10/12 games was on a channel owned by Warner Bros

TBS had some sublicensed games from FSN in the 2000s and those were Big 12 and Pac 10

Warner Bros. Discovery isn't going to acquire programming that costs them money. They can't even afford to do the show where Samantha Bee stands in front of a TV with her hands on her knees and complains about Bernie Sanders. Maybe they'll do a show about college football players renting apartments. They can do that.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 6/27/2022 at 2:34 PM, TrueYankee26 said:

Fox bringing back the USFL another year! This could be it for the Spring football curse, barring another disease creating another global pandemic or COVID getting strong again.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/06/27/fox-wil-bring-usfl-back-for-a-second-season/

Wouldn't be surprised if ESPN broadcast USFL games in the future, sharing rights with Fox

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

Warner Bros. Discovery isn't going to acquire programming that costs them money. They can't even afford to do the show where Samantha Bee stands in front of a TV with her hands on her knees and complains about Bernie Sanders. Maybe they'll do a show about college football players renting apartments. They can do that.

Already got a name for it: NILionaires

• Like 2

3 hours ago, the admiral said:

Yeah Warner Bros. Discovery's going all cost cutting, plus they've got the ginormous renewal up ahead soon with the NBA deal up in 2 years to deal with on top of just starting two medium-term deals with the NHL and MLB. I don't think they're going to rack up any other rights for a while

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

They'll find a way to weasel out of the NHL contract and replace those programming hours with marathons of a show called Dermatologists After Dark. Ratings will actually go up.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

8 hours ago, the admiral said:

They'll find a way to weasel out of the NHL contract and replace those programming hours with marathons of a show called Dermatologists After Dark. Ratings will actually go up.

I expect, in the next few years, ESPN keeping the primary NHL contract, while NHL would return to NBC. In this case, we would have the Stanley Cup Final rights alternating between ESPN/ABC and NBC/Peacock

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

No.

They're all in on the XFL. They didn't even COVER the USFL this season.

But, in the case of XFL, it would be interesting to see ESPN covering all the league's games.

To me, it sounds strange that TelevisaUnivision doesn't have U.S. Spanish TV rights to NFL games broadcast by CBS. And also sounds strange to me that TUDN also hasn't Spanish TV rights to NHL games broadcast by Warner Bros. Discovery.

I sincerely miss NBC Sports Radio. I think IHeartRadio's Premiere Networks would be a great distributor to NBC Sports Radio content. But I wouldn't be surprised if Bally Sports (Diamond Sports Group) would enter the radio business and be partnering with Premiere to get its radio content being distributed. There would be more sports radio in the U.S.. Meanwhile, in my homeland Brazil, there's sports web radio stations such as Poliesportiva and Arena Esportes and one terrestrial sports radio station that is focused on the Gre-Nal duo, in Porto Alegre. However, the existance of these radio stations are threatened by changes in legislation that would enforce radio stations from the entire Brazilian territory to pay radio rights to broadcast these sporting events. In my country, many people is against these changes, because this charge for radio broadcasting rights to sporting events never existed in Brazil. And by the way, this year officially marks the 100th anniversary of Brazilian radio, although radio broadcasts here in Brazil began in 1919 with the debut of Rádio Clube de Pernambuco.

23 hours ago, Marcos Flamengo said:

Wouldn't be surprised if ESPN broadcast USFL games in the future, sharing rights with Fox

They'll be hosting XFL games so I don't think we'll see any collaboration with Fox outside of the times for games when the leagues overlap.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

22 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

They'll be hosting XFL games so I don't think we'll see any collaboration with Fox outside of the times for games when the leagues overlap.

Why would you think they would collaborate then?

It's where I sit.

5 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Max viewers for each game is better than going head to head. They do this already for college games.

15 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Why would you think they would collaborate then?

I think that USFL and XFL needs national radio partners. I'd bet ESPN Radio would get the XFL national radio broadcasting rights, while Westwood One would get the USFL national radio broadcasting rights.

6 minutes ago, Marcos Flamengo said:

I think that USFL and XFL needs national radio partners. I'd bet ESPN Radio would get the XFL national radio broadcasting rights, while Westwood One would get the USFL national radio broadcasting rights.

I don't know if newer leagues like these two are even considering radio, though I think this is where iHeart readio and Sirius XM could get them airtime somewhere as well. 

1 minute ago, Marcos Flamengo said:

Westwood One getting MLS national radio rights would get interesting

I think this might help soften the blow for those announcers that aren't going to get picked to make the move to Apple+ from the other stations. Columbus has a great announcer pair and seeing them moved out because there aren't enough seats at the table would be disappointing. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

6 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I don't know if newer leagues like these two are even considering radio, though I think this is where iHeart readio and Sirius XM could get them airtime somewhere as well. 

I think this might help soften the blow for those announcers that aren't going to get picked to make the move to Apple+ from the other stations. Columbus has a great announcer pair and seeing them moved out because there aren't enough seats at the table would be disappointing. 

Audacy should also be considered to get both leagues airtime somewhere as well. And if Westwood One gets national MLS radio rights, their broadcasts would also get being blacked out to prevent local MLS radio broadcasts, if the MLS decides to keep regional radio broadcasts from next year, or the MLS keeping regional radio rights but also permitting national radio broadcasts without the latter being blacked out. I also don't rule out Compass Media Networks, ESPN Radio and Sports USA fighting Westwood One over the MLS national radio broadcast rights. In terms of clash for Spanish-language national MLS radio rights, Fútbol de Primera would be a strong contender.