The Sports Media Thread

3 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I said a couple of years ago I'd love to be able to pay $5 per game to watch the Buffalo Bills without having to commit to the entire league. I think we're getting close to that reality (though I think the number per game will likely be closer to $10 because the NFL knows it can get it).

But putting the NFL on PPV is a weird reality I wasn't really prepared for. And crazy they'll still get $$$$ in OTA contracts as well.

As I understand it, they have assured the traditional broadcast partners (FOX, CBS, NBC) that prices won't come down to the point that they (FOX et al.) won't risk losing viewers to this service.

Translation - it will likely still be an all or nothing option.

It's where I sit.

Plus I don't think you'll see them lifting local blackouts for streaming any time soon either, as they're making a killing off those OTA contracts that they just re-upped and giving the option to just cut the cord entirely negates those mega deals. So basically for now it'll be what Sunday Ticket was on DirecTV, but via streaming

And goes without saying DirecTV's probably on its death bed with this news

• Like 1

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

I would imagine per-game streaming would only be available for out of market games, just like Sunday Ticket works now.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

34 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I would imagine per-game streaming would only be available for out of market games, just like Sunday Ticket works now.

Can you do per game with DirectTV? You're going to have to show me where that is available. 

It's where I sit.

13 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Can you do per game with DirectTV? You're going to have to show me where that is available. 

Oh, it's not at this time. I was daydreaming about what the next package could be.

• Like 1

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

26 minutes ago, Marcos Flamengo said:

Don't surprise if the A's relocate to Vegas in the future, and AT&T SportsNet (Warner Bros. Discovery) take over regional A's TV rights

*Laughs in Howard Terminal*

If MLB's going to Vegas, it's going to be through expansion and not relocation.

• 2 weeks later...

Regional MLS TV broadcasts will no longer air on RSNs and local TV stations as of 2023, because Apple TV+ acquired all MLS games. So I honestly think that many current regional MLS announcers would move to radio broadcasts. IMO, I expect that Chicago Fire FC regional broadcasts would move to English-language radio.

17 minutes ago, Marcos Flamengo said:

Regional MLS TV broadcasts will no longer air on RSNs and local TV stations as of 2023, because Apple TV+ acquired all MLS games. So I honestly think that many current regional MLS announcers would move to radio broadcasts. IMO, I expect that Chicago Fire FC regional broadcasts would move to English-language radio.

Correct. Radio announcers will be the only broadcast element for which local teams have control. In fact, the Apple TV+ interface, from what I'm told, will include the option to switch the TV commentary to the local radio feed so viewers can get local color. Sort of like how MLB.tv allows you to switch between each team's local broadcast. 

• Like 1

Surprised not to see this here yet: https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-launches-exclusive-streaming-subscription-service-nfl

NFL+ -- the National Football League's exclusive streaming subscription service -- officially launches today.

With NFL+, fans can take their game on the go. NFL+ offers access to live out-of-market preseason games across all devices, live local and primetime regular season and postseason games on mobile devices, live local and national audio for every game, NFL Network shows on-demand, NFL Films archives and more.

"Today marks an important day in the history of the National Football League with the launch of NFL+," said NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell. "The passionate and dedicated football fans are the lifeblood of the NFL, and being able to reach and interact with them across multiple platforms is incredibly important to us. We look forward to continuing to grow NFL+ and deepening our relationship with fans across all ages and demographics, providing them access to a tremendous amount of NFL content, including the most valuable content in the media industry: live NFL games."

NFL+ marks the next evolution of the NFL's direct-to-consumer offering, building upon what the league developed with NFL Game Pass. With the growth of OTT, NFL+ is the NFL's commitment to bringing fans the content they want and delivering a marquee direct-to-consumer experience.

NFL+ is available in the NFL App across all app stores for $4.99/month or $39.99/year. Fans can upgrade to NFL+ Premium for $9.99/month or $79.99/year, which offers all of the features of NFL+ as well as full and condensed game replays and the All-22 Coaches Film.

Provided below is a breakdown of the NFL+ and NFL+ Premium products:

NFL+:

• Live local and primetime games on mobile and tablet devices
  • Live out-of-market preseason games across all devices
  • Live game audio (home, away and national calls) for every game of the season
  • NFL library programming on-demand, ad-free
  • $4.99/month or $39.99/year

NFL+ Premium:

• All features of NFL+
  • Full game replays across devices (ad-free)
  • Condensed game replays across devices (ad-free)
  • Coaches Film (ad-free)
  • $9.99/month or $79.99/year

Beginning with the Hall of Fame Game on Thursday, Aug. 4, fans can stream live NFL games on their mobile and tablet devices with NFL+.

That's a pretty good deal, except it's limited to mobile devices and I'm sure they'll block casting and things like that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

Correct. Radio announcers will be the only broadcast element for which local teams have control. In fact, the Apple TV+ interface, from what I'm told, will include the option to switch the TV commentary to the local radio feed so viewers can get local color. Sort of like how MLB.tv allows you to switch between each team's local broadcast. 

In the case of Chicago Fire FC, I think that would be great to see Arlo calling CF97 games on radio, either on WGN Radio or 670 The Score or even ESPN Chicago or even iHeartRadio. In the case of DC United, Dave Johnson, Tony Limarzi, Devon McTavish and Joanna Lohman would go radio only via iHeart-owned and operated station Wonk FM.

On 7/26/2022 at 11:07 AM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Surprised not to see this here yet: https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-launches-exclusive-streaming-subscription-service-nfl

That's a pretty good deal, except it's limited to mobile devices and I'm sure they'll block casting and things like that.

It's also a shame that this, obviously and effectively, kills not only the then-free-to-stream method on the NFL app, but also the same for the Yahoo! Sports app. Now the network streaming options are a near-must if you don't opt for NFL+, otherwise you'll be like me listening to the radio when I'm not at home and not willing to pay that monthly $4.99

Ihmgl03.pngVZ6sbGD.png

• 2 weeks later...