The Sports Media Thread

The interesting thing is that the CBS eye is included in the CBS Sports Radio logo during The Jim Rome Show (aka The Jungle), but officially, the CBS eye doesn't appear in the CBS Sports Radio logo since 2019. Maybe Audacy and Paramount should sit in the negotiation table to strike a deal on the use of the CBS eye in the CBS Sports Radio brand. Audacy produces CBS Sports Radio content, while Cumulus' Westwood One distributes its content to radio stations across America.

• Like 1

So, quick question: now that Amazon Prime has Thursday Night Football, where does NBC go from here? Are they just gonna keep rocking with Sunday Night Football, a playoff game or two, and then the Super Bowl in 3 years?

4 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

So, quick question: now that Amazon Prime has Thursday Night Football, where does NBC go from here? Are they just gonna keep rocking with Sunday Night Football, a playoff game or two, and then the Super Bowl in 3 years?

Doesn't seem like a bad deal to have the premiere game of the week and the highlight show leading into it.

Who gets the third Thanksgiving game now?  And the Saturday games?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

NBC's still got their usual deal of SNF, the Kickoff Game, Thanksgiving Night game, and 3 playoff games plus the Super Bowl on Winter Olympic years. Only thing the TNF package changes is Fox doesn't air their 10 or so Thursday Nighters anymore and NFL Network's live regular season games are just for the December Saturday games and a few Europe games here and there

• Like 1

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

10 hours ago, RyanMcD29 said:

NBC's still got their usual deal of SNF, the Kickoff Game, Thanksgiving Night game, and 3 playoff games plus the Super Bowl on Winter Olympic years. Only thing the TNF package changes is Fox doesn't air their 10 or so Thursday Nighters anymore and NFL Network's live regular season games are just for the December Saturday games and a few Europe games here and there

NBC also has the rights to the Pro Football Hall of Fame Game as part of their SNF package.

Audacy laid off the entire local Milwaukee sports station, and is just airing national CBS programs now.  It's been known that they were going to do another round of layoffs because they're risking being delisted by NYSE, but to cut an entire market's station seem extreme.  I"m not sure if Milwaukee is a one station or two station town, but given that it was on AM, I'm guessing one.  Sucks for them, especially with football season right around the corner.

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/b091f5d8-d06b-3cba-9289-1186ae5d22b9/milwaukee-sports-radio.html

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2022/08/audacy-layoffs-milwaukee-sports-station-gutted-entirely.html

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

15 hours ago, BBTV said:

Audacy laid off the entire local Milwaukee sports station, and is just airing national CBS programs now.  It's been known that they were going to do another round of layoffs because they're risking being delisted by NYSE, but to cut an entire market's station seem extreme.  I"m not sure if Milwaukee is a one station or two station town, but given that it was on AM, I'm guessing one.  Sucks for them, especially with football season right around the corner.

https://finance.yahoo.com/m/b091f5d8-d06b-3cba-9289-1186ae5d22b9/milwaukee-sports-radio.html

https://www.crossingbroad.com/2022/08/audacy-layoffs-milwaukee-sports-station-gutted-entirely.html

Sounds so eerie the fact that Audacy laid off the entire crew of their local Milwaukee sports station. But there is a dangerous and concerning reason: Audacy's risking being delisted by NYSE. How Audacy can do to prevent this delisting to happen?. It seems this decision to laid off the entire crew of their local Milwaukee sports station is too much extreme.

16 hours ago, BBTV said:

HOLY COW.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2022 at 7:42 PM, BBTV said:

It was a three station town. And that doesn't even count the flagship for the Brewers (WTMJ AM 620) which had also been the Packers flagship up until this season. The AM signal had been broadcast on the FM dial up until late last year (I think) when that station flipped to hip-hop (again, I think). The writing was on the wall at that point. I know that the decision was pretty rapid, as a friend of mine was scheduled to appear on air at 4:15, and the kill shot was delivered at 2:45.

It's where I sit.

On 8/8/2022 at 10:50 PM, TrueYankee26 said:

Big Ten is close to not only be on FOX, NBC AND CBS..

Espn is about to not broadcast Big Ten football or basketball for the 1st time in 40 years.

Made official yesterday. Also Peacock getting exclusive games.

FOX getting the B1G football title games in '23, '25, '27 and '29, CBS in '24 and '28, and NBC in '26.

On 8/17/2022 at 7:42 PM, BBTV said:

Audacy is trash. Entercom got too big for their britches and thought they could buy CBS's entire radio division with imaginary money. Entercom was pretty much concentrated on medium-sized markets like Milwaukee (Entercom has had a strong presence in Milwaukee for years), with Philly and Boston on the high end, while CBS only messed with major markets like New York and Chicago. Now, oops, they have no money. 

Milwaukee is a tricky market for sports talk for a lot of reasons.

1. Until like just now when they lost the Packers after infinity years, all three Milwaukee teams were on WTMJ (equivalent to WGN/WLW/KMOX), and they covered the Packers and Brewers pretty well outside of the drive-time news shows. 

2. WAUK was a daytime-only station until the late 2000s that was split between local and ESPN, so they were never able to get the true stationality and ensuing cult following of WFAN/WIP/the Score, the latter of which comes in loud and clear in southeast Wisconsin, so displaced Chicagolanders and random cranks just listen to that. WSSP and this third station that got the Packers just further divided an already small share of the market.

3. For most of what we can call the "sports radio era," the Bucks and Brewers sucked ass and no one wanted to talk about them anyway. "Milwaukee isn't a sports town, it's a Packers town" was a common refrain from Brett Favre on through, like, those two months that the Brewers ran Sabathia out every other night and drew like 50,000 a game. (Which was a really fun time, by the way; that '08 season is still one of my favorites.)

It was a typical low-rent move from Audacy, which has made an awful mess of Chicago's old CBS stations, but I'm not surprised. Three sports talk stations + WTMJ + Chicago stations were too many for the market.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Our two 24/7 sports stations are Audacy and Beasley Media respectively.   So far no issues during each company's latest round of layoffs, but from everything I've read, rather than layoffs across the board, the big-revenue stations are likely OK, but the less-big-revenue stations were going to be slaughtered, which seems to be happening with this move.  Really sucks to come in to work with no inclining that anything was wrong, then find out that you and literally everyone you work with is fired.  Feel bad for them.

To be fair, the garbage-ass radio industry has operated that way for years. Then there was the time an executive at CBS walked into a staff meeting at KMOX, decided too many people worked there, and promptly fired half of them, including Bob Costas.

14 hours ago, the admiral said:

Both people are correct.

Reminds me of the time in college when there was a nasty brawl between a dozen Browns fans and a dozen Steelers fans that spilled into the middle of the street and I just stood there in my Carson Palmer jersey and calmly watched while eating a burrito.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 4

PvO6ZWJ.png

20 minutes ago, Sport said:

Reminds me of the time in college when there was a nasty brawl between a dozen Browns fans and a dozen Steelers fans that spilled into the middle of the street and I just stood there in my Carson Palmer jersey and calmly watched while eating a burrito.  

I don't care if this really happened or not. This is awesome!

• Like 2

It's where I sit.

On 8/26/2022 at 9:50 AM, Sec19Row53 said:

I don't care if this really happened or not. This is awesome!

I would not lie in this case. I think it was after the Browns blew this game to the Steelers. In Athens, Ohio the bar where all the Steelers fans would go (Lucky's) is right across the street from the Browns bar (Cat's Eye). I went to get food at Big Mama's Burritos on Court Street and I was walking to my friends' place to watch the Bengals game, which was an apartment on the other side of those two bars I walked right into a melee between a bunch of drunk children in football jerseys. 

• Like 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

7 minutes ago, Sport said:

I would not lie in this case. I think it was after the Browns blew this game to the Steelers. In Athens, Ohio the bar where all the Steelers fans would go (Lucky's) is right across the street from the Browns bar (Cat's Eye). I went to get food at Big Mama's Burritos on Court Street and I was walking to my friends' place to watch the Bengals game, which was an apartment on the other side of those two bars and I walked right into a melee between a bunch of drunk children in football jerseys. 

If West Side Story was set in the Rust Belt.

• Like 2
  • LOL 2

IbjBaeE.png

• 3 weeks later...

Chargers-Chiefs last night had some really awesome moments from what I caught on the radio. Pity it was only on a website instead of the free-to-air national network television that used to be pursuant to the league's antitrust agreement.