The Sports Media Thread

Kevin Burkhardt/Greg Olsen replacing Buck and Aikman as FOX’s A-Team

They did a bunch of Falcons games last season, and I generally liked them but I wasn’t overly wowed or anything. Still, I like being reminded of G-Reg with the Third Leg so I’ll take it. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

I like Burkhardt, especially given my Mets bias with him being great as the reporter with Gary, Keith, and Ron. I just don't know if he's Fox A-Team AMERICA'S COWBOYS GAME OF THE WEEK IN AMERICA 2 Super Bowls in 3 Years great. Also I felt he was a lot better with Charles Davis than Olsen.

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29

2 hours ago, RyanMcD29 said:

Also I felt he was a lot better with Charles Davis than Olsen.

Talk about the biggest loser in all of this, eh? Davis left Fox for CBS because being on the #2 team and CBS having an extra playoff game guaranteed him a playoff game every season, whereas he only got one every two years at Fox. I understand he couldn't foresee what happened here, but my goodness, you have to think he would've been the front-runner for the promotion alongside Burkhardt and, well, obviously that window is completely shut.

spacer.png

• 2 weeks later...

I knew Apple was getting an exclusive MLB window but I didn't realize that NBC/Peacock was getting one this year, too. And those are both not simulcasting on local cable at all, right? If you want to watch every game of your local team that's $15 per month in streaming services on top of your cable bill.

And good luck finding a bundle, since some of the RSNs (at least here NESN operates this way) are still largely cable-exclusive and won't play ball with the YouTube TV or Hulu With Live type players.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

On 4/14/2022 at 8:50 AM, Digby said:

And good luck finding a bundle, since some of the RSNs (at least here NESN operates this way) are still largely cable-exclusive and won't play ball with the YouTube TV or Hulu With Live type players.

Correct, at least in Florida.  I think the only streaming service that has Bally Sports Sun and Bally Sports Florida is DirecTV stream.

19 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

For $15/month or whatever Apple TV charges? Sure!

More than that? GFY.

Assuming they get Sunday Ticket, it won't come without a significant bump in subscription price. Business doesn't work that way.

It's where I sit.

21 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Assuming they get Sunday Ticket, it won't come without a significant bump in subscription price. Business doesn't work that way.

I know that. But also, if Apple's the most valuable company in the world (or one), how much bigger a pile of gold do they need?

Capitalism, man.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I know that. But also, if Apple's the most valuable company in the world (or one), how much bigger a pile of gold do they need?

Capitalism, man.

For almost everyone, someone makes more money. Similarly, for almost everyone, someone makes less. Just because one makes less doesn't give one the ok to say 'someone else should make less'. Unless, of course, you're giving your money to those who DO make less than you.

Royal you here, folks.

It's where I sit.

• 3 weeks later...

https://nypost.com/2022/05/05/katie-nolan-on-critiques-of-apple-mlb-role-i-thought-i-was-past-misogyny/

“If what I’m bringing to the table is knowing someone’s ERA, then why am I there? I would be useless,” she said. “What I bring to the table is, ‘Hey, umps’ pants are really big. Are we ever gonna talk about how they don’t know how to hem their pants properly? I understand why they need to be baggy, because there are pads underneath them. There is no reason for there to be three extra inches of fabric clustered up at the bottom right by their shoe. I’ve been thinking it and so I’m gonna say it.”

George: Well, it doesn't even have to be the general manager. Maybe I could be like, an announcer. Like a colour man. You know how I always make those interesting comments during the game.
Jerry: Yeah. Yeah. You make good comments.
George: What about that?
Jerry: Well, they tend to give those jobs to ex-ballplayers and people that are, you know, in broadcasting.
George: Well, that's really not fair.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

In the parlance of Bill Simmons, Mina Kimes market corrected Katie Nolan. 

And also, maybe Katie Nolan needs to bring a little bit more to the table than being cute and irreverent. She could have a platform if she wanted it and I don't see her anywhere.

She'd have made a killing on Cold Pizza or the The Best Damn Sports Show, but the bar is a little higher now.

Unless she wanted to go political; lots of options there and all terrible for the world.

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Seems like the line on Katie Nolan for a while has been that she cannot fail, she can only be failed. But for all the talk of how ESPN criminally misused her, she did make it to the Dan Le Batard cool kids' table with Sarah Spain and Bomani Jones (and Mina Kimes, I think), and then as I recall she kinda bobbled it from there by habitually showing up late and unprepared to stuff. I think she wants to age gracefully from being a Just One Of The Guys Girl into tackling the serious sociocultural/political issues of sports the way Sarah Spain did, and as one must in one's mid-thirties, but I also don't think she wants to try particularly hard at it, and it's an unsustainably crowded field, anyway.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Ten years, $375 million. That's almost QB money.

I look at that and then look at my insurance out of pocket maximum and it's all so stupid. How can Tom Brady possibly provide almost $400 million of value talking football?