The Sports Media Thread

CBS announce crews run deep. While Nantz is "meh", Kevin Harlan and Ian Eagle are outstanding. Gus Johnson is the only voice on FOX who strikes me as a #1, but he basically remains invisible, doing mostly college Saturdays and is like the #5 on FOX's NFL depth chart on Sundays with Aqib Talib.

Al Michaels is also out there, tho the rumor with him is he could be going to Amazon to call TNF

• Like 1

6uXNWAo.png

11 minutes ago, Cujo said:

CBS announce crews run deep. While Nantz is "meh", Kevin Harlan and Ian Eagle are outstanding. Gus Johnson is the only voice on FOX who strikes me as a #1, but he basically remains invisible, doing mostly college Saturdays and is like the #5 on FOX's NFL depth chart on Sundays with Aqib Talib.

Al Michaels is also out there, tho the rumor with him is he could be going to Amazon to call TNF

Ian Eagle?  My god he's awful.  I searched and found this post I made from earlier in the playoffs.  Not sure how anyone could have enjoyed that boring broadcast.

On 1/15/2022 at 10:27 PM, BBTV said:

Actually, I hope Ian Engle freezes to death, and while he's down, the color guy tries to give him mouth-to-mouth but his mouth freezes to Engle's so he suffocates and dies too, then we get a whole new crew.  Just pick any two random Bills Mafia jabronis and give them the headsets.  

It's like listening to Ambien on play by play and Melatonin on color.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'd give my left testicle and half of my right one to hear Mauro Ranallo broadcast an NFL game.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think Ian Eagle is a fine announcer, but he runs into the trap of using the same inflection all the time for his calls.  It's better than Joe Buck at his worst, when he undeniably delivered even the most incredible NFL moments in a monotone that was so boring it was difficult to believe (FWIW he has gotten exponentially better since that era of his career), but when you use the same inflection all the time, it comes across as inflection for inflection's sake, or in a much simpler way: insincere.  I'd still rather listen to Ian Eagle than Spero Dedes or whatever nameless announcing team Fox trots out as its #4 for that week.  At least I can recognize Ian Eagle and pick his voice from among a crowd.  

• Like 1

spacer.png

5 hours ago, Cujo said:

Gus Johnson is the only voice on FOX who strikes me as a #1, but he basically remains invisible, doing mostly college Saturdays and is like the #5 on FOX's NFL depth chart on Sundays with Aqib Talib.

Gus Johnson really seemed like he was going to be the next big thing back around 2008 but it never totally happened for him. Did people realize a little goes a long way there?

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, Digby said:

I just remembered Fox wanted to make Gus their soccer voice for the last World Cup but it prompted global protests.

They should try getting Peter Drury and Jim Beglin across the pond for an NFL game or two.  I'd rather listen to them than Burkhardt/Olsen.

spacer.png

15 hours ago, Crabcake said:

It's better than Joe Buck at his worst, when he undeniably delivered even the most incredible NFL moments in a monotone that was so boring it was difficult to believe (FWIW he has gotten exponentially better since that era of his career)

By his own admission, he was trying to be Pat Summerall, but that spartan style really doesn't work unless you're Pat Summerall. It's like sitting out the call entirely and saying "oh, I was trying to be Vin Scully." 

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

16 hours ago, the admiral said:

Gus Johnson really seemed like he was going to be the next big thing back around 2008 but it never totally happened for him. Did people realize a little goes a long way there?

I think the tide kind of turned on him, a bit like what's starting to happen with Romo, where what people liked about him to begin with became just too much. Like you don't need to be hootin' and hollerin'  on a four yard handoff.

• Like 2

IbjBaeE.png

45 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

I think the tide kind of turned on him, a bit like what's starting to happen with Romo, where what people liked about him to begin with became just too much. Like you don't need to be hootin' and hollerin'  on a four yard handoff.

Gus is okay when he isn't screaming about a mundane play. The problem is that he always seems to be screaming.

• Like 1

On 3/13/2022 at 7:58 PM, Red Comet said:

Kevin Harlan really needs to be on the lead broadcasting team. It’s been 25 years overdue IMO and at the very least, he’d make a good stopgap as Fox tries to cultivate the next generation of talent. 

Agreed. Childhood me has a lot of fond memories of Harlan as the play-by-play voice of the expansion Minnesota Timberwolves back in '89. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

Agreed. Childhood me has a lot of fond memories of Harlan as the play-by-play voice of the expansion Minnesota Timberwolves back in '89. 

Same. He was outstanding for the Wolves.

I enjoy Gus Johnson as a neutral fan. I can't stand him when my team is playing...

• Like 3

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 3/13/2022 at 1:24 PM, monkeypower said:

Feel like the thing I'm finding most annoying about Romo is that he tries too hard with his sarcasm at times, trying to be ironic about things. "So everybody expected [unexpected current score] when this game began", and especially when he does stuff like that in the first half of the game. When you get a marquee game that lives up to its billing and it comes down to the 4th quarter, that's when Romo is still at his best, doubly so if it's the postseason. That his bloom has begun to come off the rose suggests to me a case of him holding back more, and I dunno whether that's a personal decision or CBS wanted him to tone that stuff down (or the NFL pressured him through CBS). Ultimately, there's still not a color commentator I'd rather have on a game across the other networks, though Greg Olsen is very promising. 

• Like 3

spacer.png

John Clayton was the OG of sports insiders. Before Schefter, Glazer, all the rest, there was him. When you wanted the inside NFL scoop, you looked forward to John Clayton filing a report to SportsCenter.

RIP John

Also, his 'This is SC' commercial was an all-timer!

• Like 7

6uXNWAo.png