The Sports Media Thread

Neil Funk was with the Bulls for about 30 years between radio and TV, but I wouldn't call his voice central to the experience of being a fan as I would any of the other Chicago broadcasters recent-past and present. 

5 minutes ago, BBTV said:

I think maybe for basketball, people watch the players and don't need the announcer for anything other than supplementary information?   There's not nearly as much time for them to inject much of their personalities into the game as there is in the other sports, so maybe people don't get "addicted" to them like they might with other broadcasters.

Possibly, but then hockey would seem to offer even less of that downtime, especially on the radio, and Foley, who worked radio-only or simulcast for most of his career, arguably had a greater deal of attachment from fans than anyone. I guess that brings me back to hockey fans and our provincial lack of sophistication.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 3/9/2023 at 3:50 PM, TrueYankee26 said:

Honestly, we need CONCACAF coverage on the Golazo streaming channel

On 3/6/2023 at 11:30 AM, McCall said:

If MLB took over all broadcasting and offered streaming options, like one team + MLB Network, I'd probably sign up. Then you could also have an option for the entire league + MLB Network at higher price point, as well.

i would prefer that Mediapro acquires the current Bally RSNs, since the FCC don't allow monopoly, the reason why ESPN sell out the former Fox RSNs

LeBatard’s always had a veneer of irony though. When the show drifts into First Take esque territory, it’s because it serves the comedy of the show with the whole when its bad its good ethos. 

The audience is in on this, because they know the show can be smart when it wants to be. It doesn’t always hit, but that’s the main difference between a Stephen A. and LeBatard. 

• Like 2

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

On 3/25/2023 at 4:15 PM, Germanshepherd said:

LeBatard’s always had a veneer of irony though. When the show drifts into First Take esque territory, it’s because it serves the comedy of the show with the whole when its bad its good ethos. 

The audience is in on this, because they know the show can be smart when it wants to be. It doesn’t always hit, but that’s the main difference between a Stephen A. and LeBatard. 

Didn't Le Batard come up through the PTI/Around the Horn production company, the one that first led ESPN down the wayward path of sportswriters screaming at and over each other? I first remember him as Kornheiser's sub circa 2002-03, where his whole shtick was that he was even more contentious and unpleasant than the two normal hosts. I don't dispute that Skip Bayless and Stephen A. have taken the "artform" to new and insufferable places since then, but you can't play a major role in the development and continuation of that format and then shake your head and act like you're the last bulwark of Legitimate Journalism just because you gave a lot of airtime to Mina Kimes.

21 hours ago, the admiral said:

Didn't Le Batard come up through the PTI/Around the Horn production company, the one that first led ESPN down the wayward path of sportswriters screaming at and over each other? I first remember him as Kornheiser's sub circa 2002-03, where his whole shtick was that he was even more contentious and unpleasant than the two normal hosts.

Yes, he totally did and I still remember him that way. Kind of his thing, wasn't he also the Baseball Hall of Fame secret voter for Deadspin back in the day? America loves a supposed mole.

23 hours ago, the admiral said:

Didn't Le Batard come up through the PTI/Around the Horn production company, the one that first led ESPN down the wayward path of sportswriters screaming at and over each other? I first remember him as Kornheiser's sub circa 2002-03, where his whole shtick was that he was even more contentious and unpleasant than the two normal hosts. I don't dispute that Skip Bayless and Stephen A. have taken the "artform" to new and insufferable places since then, but you can't play a major role in the development and continuation of that format and then shake your head and act like you're the last bulwark of Legitimate Journalism just because you gave a lot of airtime to Mina Kimes.

He addressed it on his show, and claimed he was making fun of the medium the whole time he was there. I wasn’t around for his PTI-era, so I can’t say if that’s true or not. 

I will say that opened up the door for him to start Highly Questionable, the most subversive and bizarre show to hit ESPN airwaves. 

Dan and his cohosts never disagreed on sports topics and the back half of the show was just Ridiculousness with an old Cuban man who frequently disrobed. 

So I think with him it’s more of a “this thing is stupid, I’m going to treat it as such” rather than a “I’m doing this the right way and you’re wrong”, but again I’m lacking context for his earlier career. 

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

I think "I was always taking it down from the inside" is too clever by half. Just say you got too cool for it.

I never really got into Le Batard because I don't think ESPN Chicago ever cleared his show and Dan Bernstein did the same radio show locally like a decade before Le Batard did. I can't deny that he, Bomani Jones, and his whole stable made liking ESPN socially acceptable again, though, especially among the media class.

• 3 weeks later...

https://awfulannouncing.com/local-networks/diamond-sports-reds-bally-sports-ohio-reversion.html

Interesting development with the Reds and the Diamond Sports (Bally) bankruptcy. Diamond sports didn't make their payment for the Reds rights fees, which, because the Reds own part of Bally Sports Ohio, means they're not part of the Diamond Sports bankruptcy proceedings, which in turn means the Reds immediately take back the broadcast rights to their games. 

If Diamond does not pay within that grace period, MLB believes that the team will get its rights back, expected to happen during its early May series with the White Sox. The May 5 White Sox-Reds game is scheduled for AppleTV+. The Saturday night May 6 one is where the Reds could see MLB take over production.

The Reds situation is different from those in Cleveland and Minnesota, two other markets where Diamond has not made rights fees payments on time. That’s because the Reds own part of Bally Sports Ohio, and the presence of that joint venture has kept that RSN separate from the bankruptcy proceeding.

…If it gets back the Reds’ rights, MLB’s plan is to use many of the same behind-the-camera crew and trucks that currently work on the games for Bally Sports Ohio. That because most of those staffers are freelancers, and Mobile TV Group owns the trucks, sources said. The announcers work for the team, including John Sadak on play-by-play with analysts Chris Welsh and Barry Larkin.

• Like 3

PvO6ZWJ.png

20 hours ago, Sport said:

https://awfulannouncing.com/local-networks/diamond-sports-reds-bally-sports-ohio-reversion.html

Interesting development with the Reds and the Diamond Sports (Bally) bankruptcy. Diamond sports didn't make their payment for the Reds rights fees, which, because the Reds own part of Bally Sports Ohio, means they're not part of the Diamond Sports bankruptcy proceedings, which in turn means the Reds immediately take back the broadcast rights to their games. 

If Diamond does not pay within that grace period, MLB believes that the team will get its rights back, expected to happen during its early May series with the White Sox. The May 5 White Sox-Reds game is scheduled for AppleTV+. The Saturday night May 6 one is where the Reds could see MLB take over production.

The Reds situation is different from those in Cleveland and Minnesota, two other markets where Diamond has not made rights fees payments on time. That’s because the Reds own part of Bally Sports Ohio, and the presence of that joint venture has kept that RSN separate from the bankruptcy proceeding.

…If it gets back the Reds’ rights, MLB’s plan is to use many of the same behind-the-camera crew and trucks that currently work on the games for Bally Sports Ohio. That because most of those staffers are freelancers, and Mobile TV Group owns the trucks, sources said. The announcers work for the team, including John Sadak on play-by-play with analysts Chris Welsh and Barry Larkin.

I keep imagining the Reds negotiating their regional broadcast rights with DAZN or Mediapro

22 hours ago, Sport said:

This would likely be the case for other Bally affiliates like Midwest (Cardinals part owner), San Diego (Padres part owner), Southwest (Rangers part owner), and West (Angels part owner).

I would have to think MLB could step in for the remaining Bally affiliates not listed above and create a similar alignment.

• 3 weeks later...