The Sports Media Thread

On 8/21/2023 at 1:08 AM, who do you think said:

Not wrong, but he still pulled it off. Al Michaels in his heyday was so naturally good that he could do play-by-play for the kitchen at Chili's and I'd probably still watch.

Exhibit A of the gulf between NBC and ESPN is Game 1 of the 2001 Finals. Irrespective of the game itself - which was compelling going in and turned out to be a classic - it just feels like every single person involved in that broadcast, from Marv Albert and Doug Collins all the way down to [whoever, name a grunt position, I'm not in the business] was absolutely locked in. Multiple times I've opened the full-game broadcast on Youtube intending to skip ahead to overtime and/or the Iverson stepover, and instead get suckered in and end up just watching the whole thing. I'm sure there's some nostalgia at work there but whatever. ESPN has never and will never put on an NBA broadcast like that. Even when they've had truly classic games to work with - like 2016 Game 7 - the energy just hasn't been there.

This is from 1993 and yet it's better than anything ESPN has ever done for promoting an NBA game of any kind. And there are several more examples I could find if I wanted.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

spacer.png

Does Pittsburgh have a Barstool bro they can poach for "lifestyle" podcasts and YouTube videos? Are we ready for a dating reality show for Pens fans? Will a standalone app for their games streaming be prohibitively expensive to make sure nobody actually buys it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dave Portnoy back in the news as the WaPo unsuccessfully tried to intimidate the sponsors of his pizza party into backing out by threatening to name them in a hit piece. Didn't seem to work. The whole dynamic between Portnoy and the media class at this point is sort of like if Wile E. Coyote and the Roadrunner took place on the Acela.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 2 weeks later...

Rodney Harrison has never added to SNF, aside from exclusively dickriding the Patriots --  And after dropping this, he can just fxxk right the hell off. An ugly and unprofessional act, which I've honestly never see on an NFL broadcast.

• Like 2

6uXNWAo.png

I've always wondered if there was a way to do an NHL version of Redzone, and I appreciate that they're trying something new, but I just don't see the format translating to hockey that well.

Football is pretty straightforward. Aside from the occasional big catch or kick/punt return TD, you can generally tell when a team is about to score. Hockey is far too fast paced to have any way of predicting when a goal might be scored, unless you have a team on the power play or a game in OT.

I feel like this will mostly be cutting between highlights, as opposed to having multiple live feeds going
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:
I've always wondered if there was a way to do an NHL version of Redzone, and I appreciate that they're trying something new, but I just don't see the format translating to hockey that well.

Football is pretty straightforward. Aside from the occasional big catch or kick/punt return TD, you can generally tell when a team is about to score. Hockey is far too fast paced to have any way of predicting when a goal might be scored, unless you have a team on the power play or a game in OT.

I feel like this will mostly be cutting between highlights, as opposed to having multiple live feeds going

It'll basically be MLS 360 on Apple TV.