New South Bend, IN city flag

ZapRowsdower8

A little over a year ago, my brother in law was visiting from South Bend when the topic of city flags came up. I shared the Ted Talk that Roman Mars from the 99% Invisible podcast gave about the subject and he forwarded it to the mayor of South Bend as their flag was pretty terrible. 

He never received a response, but when he was visiting again last week he let me know that the city had, indeed, changed the flag. On top of that, it seemed to follow all of the rules that Mars put forth in the talk. 

Now, I'm not saying that I'm responsible for the new South Bend flag, but maybe!

http://www.wndu.com/content/news/South-Bend-leaders-unveil-final-design-for-new-city-flag-371524631.html

30 minutes ago, ZapRowsdower8 said:

A little over a year ago, my brother in law was visiting from South Bend when the topic of city flags came up. I shared the Ted Talk that Roman Mars from the 99% Invisible podcast gave about the subject and he forwarded it to the mayor of South Bend as their flag was pretty terrible. 

He never received a response, but when he was visiting again last week he let me know that the city had, indeed, changed the flag. On top of that, it seemed to follow all of the rules that Mars put forth in the talk. 

Now, I'm not saying that I'm responsible for the new South Bend flag, but maybe!

http://www.wndu.com/content/news/South-Bend-leaders-unveil-final-design-for-new-city-flag-371524631.html

That's a good looking one! I see the star was stolen from Chicago, which is right next door...good touch.

I have a similar story myself; I forwarded the Roman Mars TED Talk and Rochester, Minnesota's horrendous city flag on to a reporter here and he put together a 4 minute story on a ) why the city flag isn't seen anywhere and b ) why it needs to be changed ASAP. Sadly, I don't think the video's up on their site anymore.

It didn't get far, but even the mayor admitted in the story that he wanted to change it. Maybe there is hope...

ibgsr9.jpg

san_diego_destroyers_player_sig___qb_wal

2 hours ago, ChicagoOakland said:

I have a similar story myself; I forwarded the Roman Mars TED Talk and Rochester, Minnesota's horrendous city flag on to a reporter here and he put together a 4 minute story on a ) why the city flag isn't seen anywhere and b ) why it needs to be changed ASAP. Sadly, I don't think the video's up on their site anymore.

It didn't get far, but even the mayor admitted in the story that he wanted to change it. Maybe there is hope...

Not to fully hijack this thread, but I got an idea for Rochester.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Archived