2018 World Cup Concept Series (Nov 15, KOR & SUI)

FlyingLamprey

Thank you all for the support!  I was concerned that Canada would get a lot of flack for the light blue jersey, but I'm pleasantly surprised at this reaction!

19 hours ago, New York's Greatest said:

*crosses fingers and toes....and legs...and arms* "Please let Israel qualify" "Please let Israel qualify" "Plleeeaaaassseee let Israel qualify"

Great work by the way

As Darknes mentioned, Israel's qualifying group kind of prevented me from including them.  That isn't to say that I didn't consider them, not at all!  However, once this series is done, I've considered making another series where I go and make kits and updated logos for all the members of some confederation or another.  While you may not see Israel in this series, you may be able to see them if I decide to do UEFA.  Then again, I have multiple traditional powers excluded - who's to say that Spain or Italy aren't left out?

Next two teams are coming out after this post (posting kind of early because of classes), and while I haven't had time to change Belgium based off of @kerlonmoura's suggestions, I should have that up tomorrow, maybe late tonight if I'm lucky.

spacer.png

Drink water and try to have fun!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

COLOMBIA

Colombia done pretty well over the last couple years - their best ever finish in the last World Cup, 3rd place at the last Copa America, sitting in 4th in World Cup Qualifying... it's been a pretty good stretch for Los Cafeteros (did you know that the Colombian national team was nicknamed "the coffee growers"?  I didn't until this series, so The More You Know and all that).  Anyhow, my numbers have them finishing 3rd in CONMEBOL qualifying, which seems about right.  As far as looks go, I kept it fairly simple.  Logo stays the same (maybe it could've been cleaned up, but it's fine as is).  For the home kit, I went traditional Colombian flag colors (yellow shirt, blue shorts, and red socks) with a center stripe meant to mimic the flag and the current clash kit.  Speaking of, this clash kit keeps it fairly traditional with navy/white/white and pinstriped hoops.  Adidas stick around as the jersey manufacturer, and the names featured are those of James Rodríguez and Carlos Bacca.

V2LLcaT.png

spacer.png

COSTA RICA

I am just blazing through all these CONCACAF and CONMEBOL teams.  Up next is Costa Rica, who has done pretty well as of late, especially with their quarterfinal finish in Brazil and their performance in the latest round of qualifying (5 wins and 1 draw is really good!).  As such, Los Ticos get the nod for the World Cup.  One thing you might notice - new logo!  Costa Rica gets a complete makeover, as their old logo was cool in concept but has not aged well at all.  Instead of recreating it, I came up with something completely different - a half circle featuring the flag and a soccer ball with some cursive text.  It's pretty unorthodox compared to other soccer federation logos, but I'm still pretty happy with how it came out.  As for applications of colors, the border only appears on white backgrounds and the text changes to red on blue backgrounds.  For the uniforms, I wanted a simple look (I know I say this with like every team but I do have more liberal designs coming), so for the home kit I went traditional red/blue/white.  Because I hate having just plain jerseys, I also added sublimated pinstripes and gave it a button collar.  The clash kit is slightly more crazy with the v-shaped Costa Rican flag on the front, but everything is fairly more traditional (white/white/blue look with a collar).  I am aware that they look pretty similar to Colombia, but that was unintentional - Colombia was one of the first teams I did, and Costa Rica was one of the last.  New Balance sticks around as the manufacturer and the names are those of Celso Borges of Deportiva Coruna and Randall Azofeifa of Herediano.

78uJhDF.png

spacer.png

Thanks everyone!  I've got a couple more teams for y'all today.

CÔTE D'IVOIRE

I wasn't sure whether to refer to them by their French or English name, so I ended up going with the French version.  But yeah, Ivory Coast!  The first African team in this series is the West African powerhouse and most recent winners of the African Cup of Nations.  I've included the Ivorians for many reasons (who else am I gonna add, Morocco?), and I thought that they deserved a simple look.  For starters, the logo is the version shaped like the country as opposed to the shield version.  Fun fact - I couldn't find a decent version of the country version!  Huge thanks to @raysox for having a version of the logo on hand!  For the uniforms, I went fairly simple (again, I know I say this all the time, but if it ain't broke don't fix it!).  The home kit is orange/white/orange, with the most noteworthy detail being the silhouette of the country in white surrounding the front number.  The clash kit is all green with pinstripes on the front, though this was almost green-and-white vertical stripes as a throwback to their 2009-11 hooped clash kits.  I eventually decided against it due to me wanting it to be simple, although this has created problems for me since one of my other teams has a very similar kit to this, so I might try the stripes to see if it looks good (please weigh in on this!).  The Elephants are the first team in this series to have kits made by Puma, and the names on the back are Ivorian legends Yaya Touré and Salomon Kalou.

V5msC0A.png

spacer.png

CZECH REPUBLIC

So I probably should've made this easier on myself and shortened their name to Czechia, but I didn't because I forgot that Czechia was the official shorthand version.  Regardless, I included them due to their group - I knew they wouldn't beat out Germany for the top spot, but I figured they had a very good chance of beating out Northern Ireland, Norway, Azerbaijan, and San Marino for second place and a playoff spot.  Looking at the standings now, I feel a little stupid - they've gotten two ties and a 3-0 loss to Germany.  Azerbaijan, on the other hand, is in second place with 7 points.  I won't complain if that holds, since that means that Azerbaijan gets to go to the World Cup, but I mean... who would've predicted this?  Whatever, let's just say that Czechia gets second place and wins their playoff match to make only their second WC appearance as Not Czechoslovakia.  Logo stays the same because it's SO COOL LOOK AT THAT LION.  Czechia had some of my favorite kits at the Euros this summer, so I wanted to give them something similar this time around.  I liked the lion so much that I sublimated it on the front of the all-red home kit.  For the clash, I went a little outside of the box and added white-to-blue fading diagonal pinstripes on a white shirt (if you couldn't tell, I was inspired by @BrandMooreArt's OKC Thunder project, which is probably one of my favorite projects ever).  This is paired with blue shorts and white socks.  Puma sticks around, and the names are those of Tomáš Necid and Vladimír Darida.

9oNNfrg.png

spacer.png

CR's diagonal stripes look really cool. nice job making that little twist on a traditional decoration. the gradient "fade away" completes it beautifully

my favorite of the bunch is black Belgium kit. great color hierarchy there where you're using red and yellow just enough to be recognizable and not just vomiting the flag on the uniform

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

21 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

CR's diagonal stripes look really cool. nice job making that little twist on a traditional decoration. the gradient "fade away" completes it beautifully

my favorite of the bunch is black Belgium kit. great color hierarchy there where you're using red and yellow just enough to be recognizable and not just vomiting the flag on the uniform

It definitely means a lot to me to hear that from you, and I greatly appreciate it!  Thanks a lot!

Next two teams should be up shortly!

spacer.png

DENMARK

Denmark got drawn into one of the weakest groups of UEFA qualifiers, so I thought they'd be a shoo-in.  They're not too far removed from success, and I didn't think anyone like Montenegro or Romania would pose a problem.  Cut to today and Montenegro is in 1st, Romania's in 3rd, and the Danes are in 4th, just as we all predicted.  If there's anything we can learn from this series, it's that I'm not clairvoyant.  Whatever, this is fiction anyways!  The logo stays the same, which is weird because I had originally tabbed this as due for an update.  It's grown on me!  For the jerseys, I went two different routes.  The home kit features the Danish flag centered around the logo, and I was honestly surprised that I couldn't find a home jersey that had done this before.  The red jersey is paired with white shorts and red socks, with the red being darker than normal.  The clash kit features a more futuristic/modern look, with dot-based thinning pinstripes serving as the main visual.  Short and sock colors are the reverse of the home kit.  In one of the more annoying moments of the series (and certainly not the last time this will happen), Denmark switched jersey manufacturers in the middle of the series!  I started working on this mid-August, when they were made by Adidas, and by September they had released brand-new Hummel jerseys.  How inconsiderate of them to not tell me before I started this!  (Yes I know the deal was announced months before this, I just wasn't privy to it)  Anyways, I ended up making my own Hummel template just for this.  I took @raysox's Nike template, tweaked the lines here and there, gave it a collar, and added a TON of chevrons!  It's not the cleanest thing in the world, but I'm pretty happy with it.  The names are those of Simon Kjær and Andreas Cornelius.

Pa0Lple.png

spacer.png

ECUADOR

Another CONMEBOL team!  Who would've guessed?  This time it's Ecuador, who I have finishing in 4th in qualifying.  This is one of the few times where a team has exceeded my expectations - Ecuador is tied for third and is ahead on goal differential!  I'm sure that'll last about 2 seconds, but still!  Maybe I am clairvoyant!  I kept the logo the same since it's such a nice looking logo and I love condors (that is a condor right?).  The home kit takes inspiration from some of the older kits and the 2016 Copa America kit - it's got a sash!  A blue/red sash goes on a yellow collared jersey with blue shorts and red socks.  The clash kit is different - a blue jersey with white hoops, paired with white shorts and blue hooped socks.  Another manufacturer switch - Marathon is replaced by New Balance!  Did you know that Marathon has been making Ecuador's kits since 1994?  That's a long time to stick with the same sponsor!  I ended up switching it to New Balance to give them a bigger footprint in the tournament (that and I couldn't find a good logo for Marathon).  The names are those of Antonio Valencia and Felipe Caicedo.

TwrssJh.png

spacer.png

Current Denmark kits are really good, but you've managed to make even better designs! But I miss some Viking-ish pattern, for example on the white cross from the home kit.

Nice job for Ecuador as well, specially with the away kit. They both look very NB-ish.

6 minutes ago, Victormrey said:

Current Denmark kits are really good, but you've managed to make even better designs! But I miss some Viking-ish pattern, for example on the white cross from the home kit.

Nice job for Ecuador as well, specially with the away kit. They both look very NB-ish.

Thanks a lot!  I hadn't even considered adding in a Viking/Scandinavian pattern, but now that you mention it, that'd be a great idea.  I just did a quick search and found some patterns that could work - I'll see what I can come up with.

spacer.png

I'm super glad @Victormrey suggested this because it looks sooooooo much better now!  All I ended up doing was adding a sublimation effect to the Danish cross, and it's almost astonishing how much better it looks.  I didn't end up including it elsewhere because I really couldn't find a good place for it on the white jersey and it made the socks far too busy.  Still very pleased with how it came out though, so thanks a ton for suggesting that!  I've included a zoomed-in version to get a better look at the pattern I added.

iXm90vW.png

vIsABp7.png

spacer.png

EGYPT

Probably one of the few questionable decisions I made when choosing Africa's teams was not including Ghana.  They've been unstoppable the last few years, participating in every World Cup since 2006 and finishing in the top 4 in every Africa Cup of Nations since 2008... why would I leave them out?  Here's the thing - I don't really have a good reason other than "I like seeing new competition".  Maybe I'm still bitter about the 2010 World Cup?  I dunno, this was a stupid decision in hindsight.  So who do I add instead?  Why Egypt, of course!  Again, no good reason, just stick with me and this idiocy for a bit.  I do wanna thank Uganda, however, for holding Ghana to a draw while Egypt beat Congo to make my stupid choice look smart!  For the logo, Egypt desperately needed something new.  Fun fact: this was the first logo that I created for this series!  As the team is nicknamed "the Pharaohs", I figured that a scarab would be a very appropriate symbol to base the new logo around.  A golden scarab (holding a soccer ball and the Islamic crescent) is set in a roundel with a red and black band holding the federation's name in both Arabic and English.  The bands are offset at an angle so it doesn't look like a Pokeball to represent "Egypt's rise to the top of Africa".  The jerseys continue this theme, with the home jersey having a simple white sash that matches the angle of the logo and doesn't make it look like Middlesbrough no matter what you say.  The red shirt is paired with the traditional white shorts and black socks.  The clash kit is based off of the template worn by teams such as Houston Dynamo, Anderlecht, Olympiacos, Copenhagen, Ingolstadt, and even the Kazakh national team.  And Boro too, I swear this was unintentional!  I've changed up the formula by making the chevron a black-to-grey gradient and putting it on a white jersey instead of a colored one.  This is paired with black shorts and white socks for a monochromatic look.  Adidas remains the manufacturer, with the names being those of two Mohameds - Salah and Elneny.

cmO1tcD.png

spacer.png

Archived