The Quintessential Offensive/Not Offensive Logos and Names Thread

Bruins

Lets get this ALL out in the open.

Unless you have literally been living under a rock for the past decade, you know that there is serious talk of changing the names/logos of mainly the Cleveland Indians of the MLB and the Washington Redskins of the NFL. This is a big deal. Two teams that have been around in their current form for a combined 180 years, are in serious jeopardy of having their names replaced for new, less offensive ones. So why is this all of a sudden becoming such a big problem? Well lets start off with the Redskins. There is a definite two-sided debate on whether the name refers to the color of the Native Americans actual skin, of the hue of body paint that they used on their faces. Since there is a justifiable defense for both sides, shouldn't the side of possible offense to Native Americans take precedent over the other? Well... No, considering the fact that a Washington Post poll says that 90% of Native Americans AREN'T offended by the name and 80% of them wouldn't mind if a non-native called them a Redskin. The link to the poll is right here https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/new-poll-finds-9-in-10-native-americans-arent-offended-by-redskins-name/2016/05/18/3ea11cfa-161a-11e6-924d-838753295f9a_story.html?utm_term=.30ef5ceb0c7a

So why change it? Well, i know some people would say that we should change the name for the fact that people are still offended by it, even if it is the minority, it is still people that are offended. And that is a valid argument, in an ideal world nobody should be offended by a nickname of a sports team. But on another hand, if you look at the big picture, only 0.2/100 of the U.S. population  is offended by the nickname if you only include who the name pertains to. So should such a minuscule percentage be able to put a historic football identity to an end?

Now, the Cleveland Indians are a whole other story at least when it comes to the logo. in case you haven't noticed already, i am very anti-undue-political-correctness, and i can totally understand why a Native American would be offended by Chief Wahoo... I mean even the name could be taken as offensive. And yet it's difficult to find a poll that takes the side of the plaintiffs, usually taking the defendants side by a 2/1 margin. But once we start ripping these logos/names out of existence where does it end? Maybe the Blackhawks will disappear, maybe then the Vikings and so on. Obviously this is a big issue, at least in terms of popularity, and if you're reading to this point i appreciate you listening to me ramble. But i really want to hear what everyone thinks about this and i want it to turn in to a (obviously civil) purposeful debate. So, lets hear some thoughts

Lz5f6vZ.png

But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8/      Check Out My: Little Big League MLB ProjectDribbble

I debate your premise that there is 'serious talk of changing the names/logo'.  Unless that talk comes from the team or the league, it isn't serious.

Beyond that, I doubt this thread will go well and/or far.

It's where I sit.

• -kj locked this topic

Archived