Los Angeles Angels Concept

Bob5150

I think what was probably meant is that Anaheim isn't significant without Los Angeles next door. I am continually amazed that people still deny Anaheim's suburb status.

And, at 54th largest city in the U.S., Anaheim ranks behind other suburbs like Long Beach, Santa Ana, and Mesa, AZ.

Let's be honest though. Being from the area, I can tell you that Anaheim is significant. For instance, Long Beach really doesn't have the name recognition that Anaheim has in this area. It pretty much is almost a continuation of LA, because the Port of LA and the Port of Long Beach are essentially one port, and most of the city is residential in nature with the exception of Belmont Shore. Besides, the only things that it's known for are the Queen Mary, the Aquarium, and the grand prix. And, Santa Ana, is barely bigger than Anaheim, and Santa Ana is actually one of the lower end cities in Orange County. Nobody in this area thinks about going to Santa Ana, but Anaheim has the name recognition. Besides, the same thing could be said for the New Jersey Nets/Devils, seeing as how they essentially play in the NYC area.

VmWIn6B.png

Well, we've had the "suburb" discussion many times, on this board and the other one.

Anaheim is a suburb with pretentions to independent cityhood. Nothing wrong with that, it is what it is. I'd probably want to strike out some sort of identity separate from LA as well.

The only reason cities like Long Beach and Van Nuys don't have the name recognition that Anaheim does is because of the sports teams. Every little city around LA has to find its own way to make its presence known, whether it's a college bowl game or the site of a television program. Doesn't change the fact that Pasadena and Burbank and Anaheim are all LA suburbs.

Archived