Chicago Sun-Times gets new look

CS85

The S-T I remember from my childhood (well, from newsstands; we were a Tribune family) used Franklin Gothic as I think they're doing here, but not in all caps, and in blue instead of black. So close! I think there are still some honor boxes with that design.

2 minutes ago, Zeus89725 said:

Nice improvement - makes it more unique to Chicago.

But certainly not in it.

I used to intern for the Sun-Times back in my college days--to say they have an identity crisis is putting it mildly.

When I worked there (less than a decade ago), they had this logo:

440px-Chicago_Sun-Times_(2007-08-08).svg

...then some new owners came in, fired all the photographers, and switched to this:

chicago-sun-times.png

...now the owners who fired the photogs are gone, they moved their headquarters for the 3rd time in 20 years, and I suppose this new logo represents a new era.

Honestly, I like it...although it takes away the punchline I had about the Sun-Times being literal yellow journalism.

Gotcha.  That one looks more like an alt-weekly or daily free paper.  

I love the new one, but need to see it on a paper.  I associate sans-serif "designed" marks like that with tabloid-style newspapers, vs the old-English or serif fonts you see on a lot of the older and/or prestigious papers.

This one would probably look really good on the web tho.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Gotcha.  That one looks more like an alt-weekly or daily free paper.

Definitely. Very close to their sister publication, the Reader, Chicago's leading source for longform investigative journalism and gay phone sex ads.

chicago-reader-old-logo.png