What expansion teams mascot could have been.

Esco

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I don’t know there is any such thing as “too local”. 

Fans in Minnesota would have gotten the reference.  Fans elsewhere who didn’t get the reference are the ones who think Minnesota is a frozen wasteland anyway, and would think a polar bear mascot terribly appropriate. It’s a win-win. ?

I stole "too local" from another poster (I don't recall who) that commented on New Orleans's consideration of names like Rugerou (spelling? I think it was some sort of mythic swamp monster) and Krewe (the people that clean up the beads, etc. after Mardi Gras parades).  I thought it was spot-on.  Steelers makes sense.  But those were a bit under-the-radar.  (As an aside, I think Pelicans is great; it's the state bird and you don't see it on very many teams.  It's just local enough.)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 5/21/2018 at 10:31 AM, OnWis97 said:

Admittedly, I did not know about the Lakota connection to the name of White Bear Lake.  That said, that would almost make the name too local. To the rest of North America, they're named after polar bears.  Still better than Wild, of course.

Phoenix Dudes.  Buffalo Buzzing Bees.  It's like everyone had the sense to skip out on the embarrassing names.  Except for the Wild.

I get what you're saying. There's a difference between naming your team after something your city is known for, as opposed to something only your city knows about. It could work if the name sounds interesting enough, I guess.

Archived