Wheeling Nailers Concept

hkynik_55

Hello wide-ish world of Sports Branding!

I've been following this site and some forums for a while now, but didn't really have any reason to start an account as I had nothing to post. After venturing into illustrator due to a regional competition, I wanted to try my hand at creating things that actually interested me through that program. At first, I screwed around with some general logos and even some "sketches" of arenas that I had been creating in my mind (pipe dreaming). I still do some of that stuff, but recently, I entered this wonderful site called hockeyjerseysconcepts.com, and found this wonderful competition to rebrand the Wheeling Nailers (ECHL). This is my first uniform concept ever and I tweaked the logo as well.

That concept can be found here: http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/HockeyJerseyConcepts/media/bWVkaWFJZDo5MzkzNDgxOQ==/?ref=1  (I don't know if that will actually work being new but fingers crossed...)

Now quite frankly, that was ok minus the fact that I forgot to take out that ugly orange rectangle because I was in such a rush to get it in. I didn't win, obviously, but I mean it was a decent enough start. I still browse that website, but I'm not entering the Pairs Competition (yet). 

I noticed that on the forum home page, everyone can see my name as the newest member (more than 20 people already viewed my account), so I wanted to get the post out, and like the concept in the link above, this post was rushed. Mind the multiple grammer errors i darn did have in here. In these farms of forums, I hope to create some content to share with other people, get some inspiration, and help people with their concepts. Speaking of which, if anyone actually comes across this post, I'd appreciate if you'd leave some feedback on the Wheeling concept (or tell me if that link didn't work), and a few tips would be amazing. Thanks, hkynik_55 :peace:

First, wrong forum; moved it to Concepts. Second, if you copy and paste the image URL into the text field, it will embed in your post and save folks the click.

hkynik55_zpsdckupp2r.png

Great job, especially for a first concept! I have a few critiques, but for starters, I would make it clearer which jerseys are for home, away, etc.

Black (Away?):  Great colour balance, and I like the idea of gears working for a ECHL team. However, the gears should be symmetrical on both sides of the jerseys, and they pass through the stitching of the jersey (on the front side, a bit of the back side is peeking out from the bottom, so the gears and piping should be above the stitching). As a general note, helmet logos are missing and the sock stripes are too high (here's a good example).

White (Home?): Basically everything about the black jersey applies here. I'd also make the TV numbers black to match the back.

Yellow (Alternate?): Almost perfect, though I would either change the font for the diagonal text or use an all-black single-colour version of your new logo on the chest.

Grey (Alternate?): My only complaint is the non-matching hems and sleeves, but that's more on the Penguins, not you.

That may seem like a lot, but the ideas are there and it's just the execution that needs a little tuning-up that will come with time. Keep it up, and I hope to see you submit more!

Nyzv9xS.png

Twitter: @ldconcepts / Instagram: @ld.concepts / Website

47 minutes ago, ldconcepts said:

Great job, especially for a first concept! I have a few critiques, but for starters, I would make it clearer which jerseys are for home, away, etc.

Black (Away?):  Great colour balance, and I like the idea of gears working for a ECHL team. However, the gears should be symmetrical on both sides of the jerseys, and they pass through the stitching of the jersey (on the front side, a bit of the back side is peeking out from the bottom, so the gears and piping should be above the stitching). As a general note, helmet logos are missing and the sock stripes are too high (here's a good example).

White (Home?): Basically everything about the black jersey applies here. I'd also make the TV numbers black to match the back.

Yellow (Alternate?): Almost perfect, though I would either change the font for the diagonal text or use an all-black single-colour version of your new logo on the chest.

Grey (Alternate?): My only complaint is the non-matching hems and sleeves, but that's more on the Penguins, not you.

That may seem like a lot, but the ideas are there and it's just the execution that needs a little tuning-up that will come with time. Keep it up, and I hope to see you submit more!

Thank you. Hopefully I can execute better on later concepts. By the way, I see you’re stuff everywhere and very highly enjoy it. Thanks for the feedback!

15 hours ago, officeglenn said:

First, wrong forum; moved it to Concepts. Second, if you copy and paste the image URL into the text field, it will embed in your post and save folks the click.

hkynik55_zpsdckupp2r.png

Thank you. That helps.

4 hours ago, tigers said:

The color palate could be a little spruced up by adding a lighter shade of yellow, other than that I think you've nailed it.

I think that share if yellow looks good. Not a fan of the grey uniform. I would make it like the away uniform in terms of striping. @tigers was the pun necessary??

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

On 6/3/2018 at 7:45 PM, tigers said:

The color palate could be a little spruced up by adding a lighter shade of yellow, other than that I think you've nailed it.

I used the Penguins (Both WBS and Pitt) palette as the Nailers are main affiliates of both. They've taken great pride in showing there roots to the Pens over the years, wearing the same jerseys as them mostly just with a different logo. Pun... Excellent.

Archived