Calgary Flames-unused C revisited

Discrim

Back in 2013, the Flames introduced a third jersey that proved to be short-lived, and Icethetics posted pics of various unused logos that were considered for said third.  Then I posted some concepts using a handful of the unused stuff, including a new version of the C, a flaming, Saddledome-like hat, and a boot.  I'd started thinking about revisiting it recently, and given how I'd used double green in my recent Eagles set, I wondered about using two-tone red for the Flames.  To this end, I did a bit of color hunting before finding shades I liked for this set, with maroon replacing black.

flamesmain19.png

The main set is basically a toned-down version of the last home/away set in the older thread, something I'd wound up doing a while back when I posted an Isles set where, after tweaking it, I'd replaced the initial hem striping with the sock striping.  I figured the Stars aren't using the idea right now, so the pants have Calgary on the stripes.

flamesthird19.png

The third is all maroon, and the curved hem/sleeve stripe alludes to the Saddledome.  The western shirt-inspired yoke makes a comeback, albeit as a red & gold ghost yoke.  I won't lie, I gave some thought to making flame-inspired "embroidery", but there wasn't a good place to really put it, so I junked the idea.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

• 3 weeks later...

I decided to make a few tweaks...first and foremost, I darkened both the red and maroon, the former because upon retrospect, the red and gold were competing with each other too much for my tastes, rather than complementing one another, and the maroon was blending in a bit too much on the main set.  The sleeve stripes were also thinned out noticeably, and I decided to switch away from block.  The Flames' current font didn't look all that good here...but the Fleury-era font looked pretty nice, so I used that, just toning down its italicness.

flamesmain192.png

The third got relatively fewer tweaks, the darkened maroon and red, and I added a thin flame to the shoulders for a little bit more of that cowboy shirt feel.  Captaincy patches had been implied to be regular C's and A's, changed to the burning C and Atlanta A (I figure since it's not being used as a crest or shoulder patch on this jersey, the C's use as the captain patch on the third wouldn't be as problematic as it was with the Fleury era set).  Lastly, the sleeve horseshoes got an addition: the burning C at the bottom...granted, a primary logo not appearing on a third jersey isn't so unusual that it's unheard of, but it was eating at me somewhat.

flamesthird192.png

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer the original shade of red, and the maroon is  bit overpowering on the alts--but overall I like them

The main thing though is I still prefer their current logo--but replacing the black is a good thing.

And I get that this was a concept to sue those logos.

SO good job that way.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Archived