The New Project (hand drawn)

drewbothwell

This is my idea, a football league with a never ending (in theory) amount of teams. I will take a shot at this while trying to balance school and sports and designing these in my free time. I will start with the first team, and then open it up to requests on cities and/or mascots and/or colors that you would like to see, so overall this is a pretty open series with no huge plan behind it. I would love to be given ideas for teams, but also have and entire notebook full of my own, so even without requests I would love for some feedback on my own. This is The New Project.

spacer.png

First team up- The Minnesota Northern. I based the colors and striping on the main uniforms off of the northern lights that are seen in Minnesota. The light green helmets and pants are an option for the team and are meant to be a simplified look. I thought about using the "shooting star idea as the main concept for the uniform, but went with the simple stripes with the number in star patch. C+C welcomed!

spacer.png

These are really nice! I really like the color scheme, its modern but the unis are not crazy. I think a shooting star on the helmet would be really cool, it would give it some movement. Also I wonder how the star logo would look if it was white when placed on a dark background, because when you look at the starts theyre (typically) white. 

Overall though I really like these and I'm looking forward to the rest!

Northern is a pretty terrible name. We don’t need another one here... Northern Lights or even Lights would have been better...

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Ok so maybe the Northern wasn't the greatest idea haha. Anyway here is a new version of the uniforms for the Minnesota Auroras. I took out the dark green and purple to create a simpler look. Used more of the "shooting star" as the stripe on the pants and helmet. I like this look better just because of the colors. C+C and requests welcomed!

spacer.png

You’ve got a solid start here, but there are a couple adjustments you can make that’ll help to take your work to the next level.

Number one, head on over to the app store and get yourself a scanner app. Just search “paper scanner” and there are several free apps that’ll work. It’s not the same quality as actually using a real scanner, but it’s much better than just using the camera on your phone (but if you can use a real scanner, use it). Random example: picture taken on my phone, and after using the app.

Number two, it looks like you’re using markers (Sharpies?), which can look absolutely stunning, but there’s a couple factors here that show me that markers aren’t your best choice, one being that the paper you’re using isn’t the right type for marker drawings, which leads to the colors bleeding into each other a bit. The second issue comes from the detail you can get out of the markers. With the bleeding and size of most marker tips, some of the small details can be lost. Personally, I would advise that you look into trying colored pencils. Colored pencils tend to allow MUCH greater detail (plus you can get more colors out of them via blending). However, if you feel committed to the markers, I’d recommend looking for ones with fine tips. 

I’ve done my fair share of hand drawn concepts, so I know the struggles that come with it. You’ve got a very good base to build off of and I can tell you have some creative ideas so I’m looking forward to see where this goes! 

21 hours ago, jn8 said:

You’ve got a solid start here, but there are a couple adjustments you can make that’ll help to take your work to the next level.

Number one, head on over to the app store and get yourself a scanner app. Just search “paper scanner” and there are several free apps that’ll work. It’s not the same quality as actually using a real scanner, but it’s much better than just using the camera on your phone (but if you can use a real scanner, use it). Random example: picture taken on my phone, and after using the app.

Number two, it looks like you’re using markers (Sharpies?), which can look absolutely stunning, but there’s a couple factors here that show me that markers aren’t your best choice, one being that the paper you’re using isn’t the right type for marker drawings, which leads to the colors bleeding into each other a bit. The second issue comes from the detail you can get out of the markers. With the bleeding and size of most marker tips, some of the small details can be lost. Personally, I would advise that you look into trying colored pencils. Colored pencils tend to allow MUCH greater detail (plus you can get more colors out of them via blending). However, if you feel committed to the markers, I’d recommend looking for ones with fine tips. 

I’ve done my fair share of hand drawn concepts, so I know the struggles that come with it. You’ve got a very good base to build off of and I can tell you have some creative ideas so I’m looking forward to see where this goes! 

And from my experience in the past, I used PrismaColor pencil, especially for the Metallic colors. Always cool to make helmets with metallic silver and gold. You have to press a little harder to get the sheen, but worth the price.

PersonDivided-2-1.png

On 10/16/2019 at 12:00 PM, pokecat12 said:

And from my experience in the past, I used PrismaColor pencil, especially for the Metallic colors. Always cool to make helmets with metallic silver and gold. You have to press a little harder to get the sheen, but worth the price.

On 10/15/2019 at 2:25 PM, jn8 said:

Thank you for the feedback! I have some colored pencils that I will try out for my next one which I am currently in the process of making. Again thank you for this!

Using my new colored pencils I created the next team- the Charlotte Royals. The Royals are named after the city's nickname- the Queen City. I was originally going to use purple, yellow and black, but couldn't make it work like I wanted, so green and gold is the choice. A very simple and traditional uniform setup including a throwback. Feedback welcomed!

spacer.png

Royals look real good, simple and classic. 

Galaxy are nice, fun color scheme and an awesome logo. Super clever turning a galaxy shape into a "G"! My only gripe is the light blue logo on the blue background, its really hard to see and gets lost. Change it to purple I think and it would pop more.

Archived