Toronto Huskies concept

Whittier S

I haven't done this in a while... I'm not even sure I remember how to post an image. But here goes...

I came up with a concept based on the premise that the Toronto Huskies survived and persisted to the present day, like in an alternate reality. I intended for the husky to retain some of its cuteness from the team's original logo. The indigo color takes the blue of the original Huskies (and, until the Raptors came along, the blue of all Toronto teams) and adds a touch of red for "Canada's team," but not so much that it veers to purple. I'm especially insecure about the husky's eye. I'm thinking I should maybe add silver keylines to the logos. I altered the NBA logo to be the league logo in this reality.

iBUmhOf.png

I also accidentally made a combined logo and realized that it could be either the main or alt logo:

2LGp3vP.png

rATMcmK.png

This is a super neat concept, very unique! I really dig the primary logo in particular with the combination of the snowflake shape and husky. I think your initial primary is superior to the "accidental" version, the nod to the maple leaf within the husky is more than enough to connect it to Canada. To improve, I might just further consider a font that better matches the sort of indigenous aesthetic you have going on, the current choice is a little too "space age" IMO. I also think that looking into a standalone husky head might make a stronger secondary logo than the current one. 

Also, I think your presentation is perfectly fine! Oftentimes an over-designed presentation just takes away from the important stuff. 

spacer.png

Thanks so much for the feedback thus far.

I want to keep both primary and secondary logos as snowflake shapes because I have ideas of how they could be used in graphical presentations. It's also interesting that you picked up on an indigenous motif, which wasn't at all what I was going for.

I had used the original typeface for the wordmark because I was playing off the diagonals in the hexagons, and I wanted something that felt cold without being overly literal. I've put together a test of a few different typefaces for the wordmark. #3 is actually stretched out quite a bit from the original, which I know some aren't keen on. #4 makes me think of the Inuktitut syllabary at first glance, playing off that indigenous idea. #7 rendered funny; the bowls were clearer when I converted to .png but I don't know why they look as they do here. Which do you think could work best?

u1qVLjz.png

rATMcmK.png

3 hours ago, Whittier S said:

Thanks so much for the feedback thus far.

It's also interesting that you picked up on an indigenous motif, which wasn't at all what I was going for.

I had used the original typeface for the wordmark because I was playing off the diagonals in the hexagons, and I wanted something that felt cold without being overly literal. I've put together a test of a few different typefaces for the wordmark. #3 is actually stretched out quite a bit from the original, which I know some aren't keen on. #4 makes me think of the Inuktitut syllabary at first glance, playing off that indigenous idea. #7 rendered funny; the bowls were clearer when I converted to .png but I don't know why they look as they do here. Which do you think could work best?

I think it's just because of the overlapping line and shape patterns that are reminding me of some forms of indigenous art, but it's not something you have to lean into if you didn't intend it obviously. 

For the new wordmark, I dig #3 as a modern font that still has the angular forms you were looking for, but #4 is intriguing as well due to the cultural significance. 

spacer.png

I really like the rendering of the dog, even though it doesn't quite read as a husky specifically to me... I think that it would work really well as a standalone logo outside of the snowflake with a full maple leaf (a la Blue Jays)

For the secondary, I'm not feeling the leaves, so that's where you could go more abstract like your current primary.

The font update feels much more appropriate.

I'd be curious to see this in the royal blue of the original Huskies. 

Overall, really good ideas here! Do you plan to do uniforms?

This is all a tiny part of a huge project that I can't much get into here so as not to violate the rules of getting into story rather than the logos itself. Suffice it to say that this takes place in an alternate universe, and there is a historical reason within that universe why the team would go over the top with the Canadian identity.

I do want to show you why I want to use two snowflake logos, but it will take me a bit to put together a presentation.

If uniforms happen, they will be in 2K. Twice now (2K17 and 2K18) I've been blocked from saving anything after exactly 10 hours of gameplay, and after extensive work from both Microsoft and 2K technicians--and after having exactly the same issue on multiple computers--the problem is clearly with my Steam account, but because Steam doesn't have any real customer support, there's nothing I can do. My workaround, I hope, is to start an entirely different Steam account and purchase the game through that. So that's my aim in the next couple of months.

rATMcmK.png

Archived