NHL Redesign: Covid Boredom edition

dkc

I have started a new NHL redesign that I have been posting on Reddit so far on r/hockeyjerseys but figured I would share here too. I have done 4 teams so far, which I will post here right away, and will be working through the other 28 at whatever pace I can get through them at. Open to feedback, but please be aware that I am not necessarily trying to make what I think the team should wear, or will wear, just being creative and killing time. Enjoy!!

278.gif

Up first was the Toronto Maple Leafs!spacer.png

The top left is inspired by a historical jersey, with the colours inverted. Bottom left is a recreation of the 1950s/60s primary, and 2000s alternate with the updated logo. Bottom right is a mismash of different green elements the Leafs franchise has work into one jersey, and top right is inspired largely by soccer uniforms, and is just supposed to be completely unique.

278.gif

Up next were the San Jose Sharks. spacer.png

I really love their plethora of logos that are available for use, and did my best to insert the gradient from their secondary logo into the jerseys on the top without it being gaudy. I really hope the Sharks move towards their more realistic logos at some point, and with that in mind I have tidied up their white jersey and used one of the newer realistic logos onto that. I know the sharks hate waist striping, but I like it, so I put it in there anyway.

278.gif

Third was the Buffalo Sabres 

spacer.png

I want to lead off by saying that I really don't love the whole Goathead era, because they are the Buffalo Sabres not the Buffalo Buffalos, and that era doesn't reflect their actual nickname very well. That being said, while I did ignore the primary logo from that time period I still used some logos from that era, and the colour scheme from it. Upper right hand side is supposed to be a remix of the Turdburger jersey, with the red jersey from the Goathead era. 

278.gif

Today (and last that I have created right now) is the Vancouver Canucksspacer.png

I went two entirely different directions with the Canucks. Part of me really wanted to play up the Johnny Canuck lumberjack logo, and imagery which is where the two plaid jerseys come in. I adoringly call the top right "Canadian Stealth Mode". While I understand that they are not probably NHL level of jerseys and are minor league, I love them and think they are "cool and unique". The two on the left are more a nod to the Canucks we know, with modern logos and colours, but vintage style inspired arm and waist stripes. Also threw on some flying V imagery, but adorned it to the shoulders instead of to the chest. 

Stay tuned (if anyone actually is following along) because I will keep updating as the jerseys keep being created.

278.gif

Leafs:

Dig the striping on the home jersey

The alt is a bit weird. I don't think that's a final iteration but I'm not abandoning ship

Sabres set is good for home and road but I feel like I'm not in love with parts of the yellow alt. Maybe it's the Buffalo written in the stripe. 
I understand the red and black inspiration and I think the design is good in general, it just seems out of place.

Sharks fan:
Pro-lined gradient on the home jersey.
Anti the SJ behind the shark on the black alt. Maybe just that alt Shark without the SJ I like more (like the one on the road white). Love the water gradient

I'm kind of into ditching orange all the way.

Canucks green is a must have in some form. That's a popular look.

Checkerboard on Canucks was surprising but not bad.

So I'm assuming these aren't meant to be a complete set but are rather four separate concepts for each team. I'm enjoying the creative takes here.

Toronto:  The blue jersey is a nice modernization. I'd like to see a white version.

As for the diagonal stripes one, the main blue sash should be much thicker. As-is it clashes awkwardly with the sleeves, so I'd consider swapping white and blue on the sleeves too.

San Jose:  The black jersey is almost perfect, I'd just make the thick sleeve stripes thicker and drop the white.

The teal jersey's striping is similarly nice, but you should swap the gradient's direction and have black sleeves instead of white.

Buffalo: I agree with what @TakingOnWater13 said here. I think another issue with the yellow jersey is the silver and yellow striping touching and bleeding together. Not a fan of the wordmark on the stripe, but instead of the crossed swords, it could really work as a primary crest above the charging buffalo!

The red jersey feels way too Chicago-y. I think black & silver with minimal red trim might work better.

Vancouver: I like the yokes, but they'd work better without the sleeve stripes. The hem stripes should match them in thickness too, IMO. I do like the plaid for Johnny; just put the full body logo on the black jersey!

6 hours ago, vtgco said:

So I'm assuming these aren't meant to be a complete set but are rather four separate concepts for each team. I'm enjoying the creative takes here.

Pretty much. Sometimes there will be ones that go hand in hand, but I am just throwing together four creative takes at a team. Having fun and killing the boredom. Appreciate the feedback!. . 

278.gif

Up next is L.A. (I am following no specific order here)spacer.png

I had to include the Burger king logo, and a fair share of Forum Blue, and yellow. Noting too too out there in this one, was severely lacking in inspiration the last few days.

278.gif

Archived