After 230 years, King Arthur Flour rebrands

CS85

16 minutes ago, sayahh said:

Wonder if it has anything to do with Brexit.

“It’s great to see a business recognize that their brand represents much more than their previous logo—or as they put it, ‘King Arthur riding a horse,'” said Ben Brears, design director at branding and design agency Robot Food. “The strategic opportunity is clearly there to build an emotive connection with their consumers and make any baker feel like a king (or queen) in their kitchen.”

Haslam believes that the old logo wouldn’t continue to cut it in 2020 because it does not appeal to a diverse audience of bakers. “The image of a white knight astride a horse felt very masculine, European and old fashioned. Though intended to symbolize King Arthur, the figure actually felt more like a medieval crusader,” Haslam said. “The cross on the flag further emphasized this religious crusader symbol and would alienate many consumers.” In contrast, the new brand removes hints of militarism or religious affiliation, while retaining the connection to the company’s heritage and the name King Arthur.

https://www.adweek.com/brand-marketing/king-arthur-flour-rebrand-baking-pandemic-trend/

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

On 7/22/2020 at 7:15 AM, CS85 said:

This all screams of "we did this to make our app icon easier to see."

I hope someday they return to something more akin their old look.  You don't just throw away over 200 years of recognition.

Will this be their New Coke moment (but with logo)?  Then they will gloriously return to their old logo and stay in the news.

On 9/17/2020 at 2:14 PM, CS85 said:

“It’s great to see a business recognize that their brand represents much more than their previous logo—or as they put it, ‘King Arthur riding a horse,'” said Ben Brears, design director at branding and design agency Robot Food. “The strategic opportunity is clearly there to build an emotive connection with their consumers and make any baker feel like a king (or queen) in their kitchen.”

Haslam believes that the old logo wouldn’t continue to cut it in 2020 because it does not appeal to a diverse audience of bakers. “The image of a white knight astride a horse felt very masculine, European and old fashioned. Though intended to symbolize King Arthur, the figure actually felt more like a medieval crusader,” Haslam said. “The cross on the flag further emphasized this religious crusader symbol and would alienate many consumers.” In contrast, the new brand removes hints of militarism or religious affiliation, while retaining the connection to the company’s heritage and the name King Arthur.

https://www.adweek.com/brand-marketing/king-arthur-flour-rebrand-baking-pandemic-trend/

Lmao

6 minutes ago, sleuthpanther said:

We should probably just judge all problem-solving off of this valuable metric, that would be an interesting result 

A flour brand using Crusader imagery is not a pressing problem just because you are personally offended by it.  Sorry.

8 hours ago, Morgan33 said:

A flour brand using Crusader imagery is not a pressing problem just because you are personally offended by it.  Sorry.

Easy buddy, you know I’m not the one in charge making the change right? I’m not sure where your hostility is coming from, but I sense if you’re mad about a logo that looks like a Crusader being changed, you’ll be feeling it a lot more in the future.

(To be clear, this new logo still looks like it was made in a graphic design 101 class and it stinks like butt.)

10 hours ago, sleuthpanther said:

Easy buddy, you know I’m not the one in charge making the change right? I’m not sure where your hostility is coming from, but I sense if you’re mad about a logo that looks like a Crusader being changed, you’ll be feeling it a lot more in the future.

I don't care for the logo, I'm just tired of the whole "we have to ban images because someone might be offended spiel."  It's tiresome and there doesn't seem to be an end to it in sight.  I don't think a company using a Crusader in their logo necessarily means they are trying to glorify the Crusades.  No more than the Ottawa Senators are trying to glorify bad things that happened in the Roman Empire by having a roman theme.  I think the whole thing has gotten out of hand.  It's a logo not a political statement.

48 minutes ago, Morgan33 said:

I don't care for the logo, I'm just tired of the whole "we have to ban images because someone might be offended spiel."  It's tiresome and there doesn't seem to be an end to it in sight.  I don't think a company using a Crusader in their logo necessarily means they are trying to glorify the Crusades.  No more than the Ottawa Senators are trying to glorify bad things that happened in the Roman Empire by having a roman theme.  I think the whole thing has gotten out of hand.  It's a logo not a political statement.

No one has to change anything, they just have done some calculations and decided it will lead to better business. As much as I would not like it to be, everything has become political. That’s just the nature of the beast we’ve created. Im not sure what else, this is definitely not the last time this is going to happen so buckle up

Archived