Western Washington Vikings rebrand (Final presentation)

Sidney

Hi guys, I've been working a a NCAA 2nd division rebrand and I'm not sure about that wordmark for sport jerseys. It's supposed to be a monogram of the WWU what do you guys think about my versions? I need to get some feedbacks before posting the whole project. C&C are appreciate. 

WByIDeW.jpg

hNa1bgX.png

• 2 weeks later...

the whole set looks great- love the viking and ship logos. If I'm nitpicking though I can't unsee the U in the WWU logo as a V since the angles at the bottom are different than the W. If I had one suggestion I would recommend aligning those bottom angles to prevent any confusion with a WWV

53 minutes ago, bboy said:

the whole set looks great- love the viking and ship logos. If I'm nitpicking though I can't unsee the U in the WWU logo as a V since the angles at the bottom are different than the W. If I had one suggestion I would recommend aligning those bottom angles to prevent any confusion with a WWV

Ok thanks for the feedback I'll do it the same and show you to see if it's better. ;)

hNa1bgX.png

3 hours ago, bboy said:

2 hours ago, Sidney said:

Ok thanks for the feedback I'll do it the same and show you to see if it's better. ;)

AdDH9Ir.jpg

hNa1bgX.png

I want to focus on the primary here.

Just some minor tweak suggestions...

- Add more of the light blue to the left part of the image where the horn comes out from the helmet (change from dark blue to light blue).

- Change the hair tie colors from white (left) and grey (right) to light blue.

- Thicken the light blue ‘reflection’ that’s next to the thickest white reflection on the helmet (to add more light blue to the image.)

- I don’t think you need the grey in the mostly white part of the face (Meaning directly under the eye, and right above the mustache)

- I also don’t think the grey part of the lip needs to be grey, all white would be fine.

- I don’t love the grey detail under the eye (right side of the image). To me it just looks like a blotch, and needs some wrinkle / hair detail like you did with the big portion on the left.

- Maybe add some of the mustache detail to the right side also?

1 hour ago, builtbymachines said:

I want to focus on the primary here.

Just some minor tweak suggestions...

- Add more of the light blue to the left part of the image where the horn comes out from the helmet (change from dark blue to light blue).

- Change the hair tie colors from white (left) and grey (right) to light blue.

- Thicken the light blue ‘reflection’ that’s next to the thickest white reflection on the helmet (to add more light blue to the image.)

- I don’t think you need the grey in the mostly white part of the face (Meaning directly under the eye, and right above the mustache)

- I also don’t think the grey part of the lip needs to be grey, all white would be fine.

- I don’t love the grey detail under the eye (right side of the image). To me it just looks like a blotch, and needs some wrinkle / hair detail like you did with the big portion on the left.

- Maybe add some of the mustache detail to the right side also?

6AUJEy2.jpg 

I don't know if I've understood you for the grey part on the right side of the face...

hNa1bgX.png

59 minutes ago, Sidney said:

6AUJEy2.jpg 

I don't know if I've understood you for the grey part on the right side of the face...

Maybe a little bit thicker for the new grey mustache?

I love all the changes except the infamous “grey on the right side of the face.” I think if you put it back the way it was, but make those scratches (dunno what else to call them) that are around the outside (like in the white side)  bigger and more defined, it will look more natural and part of his face instead of a grey blotch.

I really wish somebody else would come along and explain better what I mean. I could just be overthinking it though, I’m really just offering my viewpoint so take it with a grain of salt.

- - - -

With that said, I was telling myself that the secondary logo would look a lot better with a black outline. I did a Google search and found a .svg file with the black outline!!

www.logos-download.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/WWU_Vikings_logo_ship.svg

I was able to take the pole from the big flag (all the way to the left) and straighten it up (it really bothers me that it doesn’t look natural...i can post a picture later today or tomorrow if you want to see what I mean...)

Then I would match all the colors:

-Use your grey

-Use your dark blue

- I noticed that your light blue and the light blue from the secondary that you posted (the one with the grey outline) didn’t match. So I would change your light blue and the NEW secondary light blue to match the light blue from the original secondary you posted)

I’m sorry if my posts are long-winded but I really dig your concept here and I hope you don’t mind all my input.

It's ok, feedbacks makes me push the concept further. 

- Now I understand what you're saying it's not scratches it the top of the beard you know, the line . I made it that way to highlight the "savage" spirit of the Viking. You can't see it on the right side because of the shadow (black). If I wasn't playing with that 2 faces effect the right side would've been the same as left. that's why I've done the thin mustache on the right side, because it's kind of hidden so we're not suppose to see it as much as the left side because of the light direction. 

- Yeah just post your idea I don't mind, I'll be happy to see. 

-I've kept the same Secondary So I'll vectorize it and switch colors etc.

hNa1bgX.png

On 11/19/2020 at 9:12 PM, Sidney said:

It's ok, feedbacks makes me push the concept further. 

- Now I understand what you're saying it's not scratches it the top of the beard you know, the line . I made it that way to highlight the "savage" spirit of the Viking. You can't see it on the right side because of the shadow (black). If I wasn't playing with that 2 faces effect the right side would've been the same as left. that's why I've done the thin mustache on the right side, because it's kind of hidden so we're not suppose to see it as much as the left side because of the light direction. 

- Yeah just post your idea I don't mind, I'll be happy to see. 

-I've kept the same Secondary So I'll vectorize it and switch colors etc.

****I didn't realize that your primary logo had a grey outline in it, so disregard my notion of having "a black outline"

With that said, here are my recommendations:

spacer.png

A - Original Image

B - This is what I was talking about when I mentioned straightening up the pole for the flag. What I really meant was to have the pole look more natural. In the original, it seems to awkwardly shoot straight out. In this picture (B) I tried to follow the natural curve from the flag. Something like this, I'm sure you would agree, makes it look better.

C - I switched everything to the colors from your Viking-head Primary logo.

D - Addition recommended changes. The reason I recommend this is to have the Primary and Secondary logos have a similar color balance so they look like they belong to the same logo set. (Will post comparison pictures)

E - I highlighted these additional changed from (D)

1 - Remove this shape.

2 - Change from grey to black.

3 - Change from white to grey.

4 - Change from blue to grey

- - - - - 

spacer.png
A - Your Primary with the original Secondary.
B - Primary and Secondary color-matched and recommended changes.

Like I mentioned above, my idea was to give both logos an even amount of the same colors with as little changes as possible, not just to swap colors for the sake of it.

- - - - - 

Remember, these are just recommendations, so do with them what you will.
One last thing is in my opinion and based on me going through and messing around with stuff........the best color scheme would be:

Original Dark Blue
Original Light Blue

Your version of Grey (maybe just a tad shade lighter...)

...along with the obvious black and white unchanged.

The best bet would be to try all the different color combos and find what looks best.

Hi, I've been working on the Drakkar these last 2 days, I had few things that were bothering me on the perspective. So I've tried to rework it what you guys think? I'll add details etc when I'll start the vector part.

tbfBpbj.jpg

hNa1bgX.png

A new Viking exploration, I've tried a design that would probably work better with the drakkar (same graphic style). If you guys preffer the 1st version I'll have to create a secondary in order to not create a graphic gap between them. What do you think about the second version? 

QOZDqGI.jpg

hNa1bgX.png

This is a pretty underrated thread, you’ve been super receptive to C&C and it shows through the progress! All your updates have been good! I think simplifying parts like the hair a tad would be more in line with my personal taste, but I’m nitpicking at this point 😅 Keep up the good work my friend 

Option A

First I thought B was better, but A fits for representing a sports team over B, which would be more suited for a graphic novel.

I’m not really feeling the cartoony look of your “ship monster” for lack of a better term.

You’ve proven that you are more than able to make quality content, so I really think he needs to me more menacing and you could pull it off obviously. It’s all a matter of you choosing to do so. 

He (the ship monster) needs meaner eyes and losing the horns was a bad choice. 

Again, just my 2 cents. Your Viking is great and whichever one you pick, I respectfully say you shouldn’t mess with him anymore.

Archived