NCAA Division 1 Football Concepts - Power Five Conferences

mahnkej

Ole Miss Rebels

There's something infinitely charming about Ole Miss's look. The classic colors, the classic design... it almost feels like sacrilege to mess with these at all. That said - if there's anything I'd change, it'd be to add a few more touches of color to really fill out the look. That's what I went for with this set. 

I made 6 uniforms overall - navy blue, powder blue, and red - plus companion white versions of each - to give them a whole host of different combos.  I also added a silver Landshark logo to the inside neckline as a cool little touch.

The beautiful thing about Ole Miss's design is that pretty much any combination of helmet, jersey, and pants can be worn together and still look great.

3SAxHCL.png

lmGPHM6.png

aifmsa9.png

g5dGHaQ.png

2zEDhaM.png

cUKO3kj.png

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kentucky Wildcats

Finishing up the SEC, we come to the Big Blue Nation of Kentucky. For this set, I dropped the current checkerboard pattern and took a design cue from the Jacksonville Jags, using 'claw mark' stripes on the sleeves and pants. Also added an alternate black helmet featuring the secondary wildcat logo.

aQEHfl4.png

BZD7vRU.png

XrSo1Eb.png

mTPB8DY.png

Washington State Cougars

Washington State is sort of an anomaly to me. Everything about their current set is stuff that I'm usually not a fan of: monochrome sets, anthracite jerseys, plain pants...  yet, somehow... these just work

Whatever it is, the Cougars absolutely nailed their uniforms, and the fans seem to agree. As such, I'm not about to blow these up. Main tweaks I made were breaking up the monochrome-ness to really let the different elements pop.  I also added some crimson to the grey alternate jersey,  and introduced a dark anthracite alternate look. 

DuBWCDw.png

9FgaP3X.png

7P63qBt.png

VssTdjH.png

• 3 weeks later...

Arizona State Sun Devils

Probably one of my favorite looks from NCAA, this version blends some of my favorite ideas together. Jersey sleeves use a sublimated Arizona state flag pattern, helmets utilize a double-outlined pitchfork, and an "ASU" wordmark is added to the chest. Additionally, I introduced a white and copper colored alternate set, with the helmet based on this gorgeous look from a couple years back. Pat Tillman-era throwbacks stay as is, giving them a total of 8 different looks.

fVhV6IY.png

KIdOy76.png

lOndTrV.png

QpaQHG6.png

bDqWA4N.png

omFT0yC.png

DpFvQbY.png

VNrODeF.png

Georgia Bulldogs 2.5

In this version, the Dawgs go back to a classic block number font, along with their old school Northwestern striping pattern on the sleeves. I feel like these really hit the sweet spot between tradition and modern style.

8SiTEST.png

xzlK1dA.pngQgLtSMQ.png

• mahnkej changed the title to NCAA Football Concepts (Part 44 - Arizona State Sun Devils)

California Golden Bears

I definitely like what Under Armour did with Cal (especially compared to the jenky previous generation Nike look).  I stuck with the Sather Stripe motif on the uniforms, while also adding it to the helmets. Additionally, I added white alternate helmet.

Note: Cal's current throwback uniforms were made in honor of fallen QB Joe Roth, which is quite possibly the coolest story you've never heard of. Check it out sometime when you have 5 minutes, dude is an absolute legend

8HlFx0v.png

dI242UA.png

hayqx5k.png

NY5xdio.png

• mahnkej changed the title to NCAA Football Concepts (Part 45 - California Golden Bears)

Colorado Buffaloes

Overall a very solid set, that if anything feels a little generic (the design itself, not the university's branding). I blended the current proprietary Colorado number font with their classic design, which utilizes Northwestern stripes on the sleeves. Also added a gold alternate jersey, and an all-grey second alternate look (usually I despise grey/anthracite uniforms, but with Colorado's color scheme it actually works pretty well).

wNlSPu8.png

U8yhqNg.png

fcvNPro.png

6wQw3V6.png

• mahnkej changed the title to NCAA Football Concepts (Part 46 - Colorado Buffaloes)

Oregon State Beavers

I'll admit, I kinda hated Oregon State's latest set when they first came out...  but as time has gone on, they've grown on me. I think the shoulder stripe motif is something unique they can claim as their own, so I kept those a core part of my set. I cleaned up some of the other things: 

• Got rid of the lame "BEAVS" wordmark from the chest and replaced it with "OREGON STATE"
  • Added a cream colored alternate uniform (similar to the San Francisco Giants home uniforms)
  • Added the 3-stripe pattern to all helmets

Hopefully these strike a balance between being unique and interesting, without being tacky. 

bGdRaxJ.png

xfBsW5E.png

rCh7Zjl.png

f4VrviL.png

• mahnkej changed the title to NCAA Football Concepts (Part 47 - Oregon State Beavers)

Utah Utes

Final team up in the Pac-12 is the overachieving Utah Utes. I tweaked these to make the sleeves a more traditional design, and also included the Utah striping pattern throughout all sets. I also changed some things around on the black alternate, which includes using the secondary "Swoop" hawk head logo on the helmet to really make the set pop. 

aM0lyvf.png

68MEOuk.png

GJaNXBd.png

ITe2HRW.png

• mahnkej changed the title to NCAA Football Concepts (Part 48 - Utah Utes)

UCF Knights 2.0

In lieu of the upcoming Big 12 expansion, as well as UCF redoing their Knighthead logo, I gave these ones another crack. For this set the new logo becomes the primary logo, with the Pegasus and UCF script logos as additional options for the helmets.

I also introduced a couple of new uniform sets, including a "fauxback" look that uses a more traditional 5-stripe pattern in place of the sword motif. Big 12 Conference badging is also added to the jerseys.

Rx6XtB1.png

YU4wmLE.png

vellJ9J.png

dLr29ye.png

T4n97cL.png

rKJkUkI.png

• mahnkej changed the title to NCAA Football Concepts (Part 49 - UCF Knights)

Florida State Seminoles

Switching focus to the ACC, I'll kick things off with the timeless Garnet and Gold of Florida State. I absolutely love the modern design they introduced back in 2014 (minus the gold numbers on every set), which they fixed last season.

I made some subtle changes, such as getting rid of the Native American design on the collars (everything looks crowded and gets chopped off on the Nike Vapor template), so I just kept the design on just the sleeves. I also added a gold alternate jersey w/ garnet pants, tweaked the all-black alternates, and added a white alternate helmet.

iE2tDmZ.png

ZFu9v0a.png

t3mUS0P.png

3mEour3.png

• mahnkej changed the title to NCAA Football Concepts (Part 50 - Florida State Seminoles)
On 11/29/2021 at 5:55 PM, Ellitot18 said:

Those UCF ones are sick! I would love it if you did more of the Group of 5 schools, like my South Alabama Jags, who won't be bowling this year, sadly. 

Thanks man, I appreciate it! Once I'm finished with this series I probably will do a Group of 5 one eventually. 

Wisconsin Badgers 2.0

In honor of my home state team making a bowl game for the 20th year in a row, I drew up a couple new sets of unis for the Badgers.  Home and Road looks stay pretty much as is (Road unis specifically use a white facemask so they can rock the all white "Stormtrooper" look). Alternate set is a black alternate featuring the secondary Bucky Badger logo in place of the "Motion W".

For this set, I also added a 2nd alternate "Color Rush" uniform of sorts, which uses all black and red. I feel this would serve as a nice compliment to the all-white look they like to wear, and this could be used as a one-off in a primetime night game.

w6oDs7z.png

6dLWpHG.png

o7yI8Yn.png

o4QUGHh.png

sNeZudX.png

bCFWx1f.png

24 minutes ago, mahnkej said:

Wisconsin Badgers 2.0

In honor of my home state team making a bowl game for the 20th year in a row, I drew up a couple new sets of unis for the Badgers.  Home and Road looks stay pretty much as is (Road unis specifically use a white facemask so they can rock the all white "Stormtrooper" look). Alternate sets include a grey alternate featuring the secondary  Bucky Badger on the helmet, while the 2nd alternate is a head-to-toe blackout look. 

0f248kJ.png

Z9bMugJ.png

LfeKQP1.png

lNrC6oY.png

I like the starting idea that you have here, but I do have a few comments on the alternates.

-First, the dark gray alternate just feels really unnecessary. It feels disjointed from the rest of the set, and although I understand why you wanted to include it to pair with the alternate helmet, I don't think this was the best jersey to do it with.

-The black alternate is not a bad idea, Wisconsin does use black in some of its branding, and it helps to separate themselves from Nebraska a bit. I do have an issue with the red accents on the black base. The San Francisco 49ers tried this exact idea a few years ago and it did not look good, especially in certain lighting conditions. I would suggest maybe adding some white somewhere, maybe as outlines around the numbers?

-I would also suggest keeping the all-black set, and maybe using the black jersey w/ white pants and the Bucky Badger helmet as another alternate idea rather than the gray, I think it would complement the logo a bit better.

I will say, I have enjoyed your concepts so far. You have a ton of great ideas and looks. Keep it up!

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

Wake Forest Demon Deacons

Wake Forest has a super simple, clean look - so much so that they may be a little too simple. I went back and incorporated some elements of their previous-gen uniforms, minus all the dumb stuff that Nike phased out (Flywire collar, jenky number font, etc). I incorporated a subdued version Wake Forest's official seal on the pant sides, and also added an alternate gold jersey to the set. 

Cgg6Qz7.png

Ssu6xjl.png

dKUsZsk.png

AUFl8nN.png

• mahnkej changed the title to NCAA Football Concepts (Part 51 - Wake Forest Demon Deacons)

Syracuse Orange

I really like Syracuse's classic look; however, I do think the standard block numbering is a bit generic. I updated these to include Syracuse's old proprietary font instead.

I also made a few other tweaks, such as changing the color of the numbers on the white jerseys to navy blue (a la Donovan McNabb era) and brought back the double axe logo from the previous-generation set for the chest decal.

Furthermore, I added in three alternate sets based on the men's basketball jerseys. These include the iconic tricolor panels running down the sides.

KvURo6O.png

eKcuMDt.png

M6uRO8c.png

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mbY2yd2.png

j3sft5m.png

Qo4Il0Z.png

• mahnkej changed the title to NCAA Football Concepts (Part 52 - Syracuse Orange)

Archived