NCAA Division 1 Football Concepts - Power Five Conferences

mahnkej

Duke Blue Devils

Duke football is basically just the college version of the Indianapolis Colts, and honestly, that's not a bad thing. If you're gonna copy a look, you can do worse than the ultra clean look of the Colts. Basically, I just updated these in some subtle ways.

For starters, I added in a cursive "Duke" wordmark to the chest and an alternate devil head logo on the back collars. For the alternate look, I created a set based on the Brotherhood basketball jerseys, including an Old English "D" logo on the helmets. 

IAW1S5q.png

NMiL62O.png

ezlzCai.png

PkeU2lj.png

• mahnkej changed the title to NCAA Football Concepts (Part 53 - Duke Blue Devils)
  • Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Virginia Tech Hokies

Virginia Tech's unis are decent, but they're kinda like certain cars - they look great from the front, but not so great from the other angles. The angled front stripes don't translate well to the back of the uniform at all, and there's a ton of blank space on the unis, with nothing on the sleeves and nothing on the pants to balance the look out. 

The end result, IMO, is a promising set that looks great in photos but ends up looking surprisingly boring on the field. My changes to counter this are summed up below:

• Changed the angle of the front stripes so that they flow into the back of the uniform in a more natural way
  • Dropped the brick pattern from the numbers, and went back to a double outlined look for all numbering
  • Added TV numbers to the sleeves
  • Added VT logo to the pants
  • Dropped the Georgia Tech - esque stripes from the helmets, as I think they look best plain

kku9eH0.png

L1Ywk5f.pngb85AaqL.png

lq08SrJ.png

• mahnkej changed the title to NCAA Football Concepts (Part 55 - Virginia Cavaliers)

Virginia Cavaliers

Switching over to the other half of Virginia, I try my hand at UVA. The Cavaliers have a really, really nice-looking logo and color palette, so I tried to emphasize those elements. I switched the style of uniform back to what they wore in the early to mid- 2000's era. I also added in some modern touches, such as an updated number/name font, saber logo on the pant sides, and their updated primary logo on the helmets. 

4F7eP8p.png

9PpbnG3.png

yyfn2CS.png

TFKKdG4.png

• mahnkej changed the title to NCAA Football Concepts (Part 56 - North Carolina State Wolfpack)

North Carolina State Wolfpack

NC State has a decent thing going, but they're also got some not-so-decent features (vertical wordmarks on the pants, the cluttered looking shoulder stripes, etc). I dropped those features and in their place I added some sleeker wolf claw/scratch marks. I also brought back the main "S" logo on the primary home set. Alternate jerseys use a "Wolfpack" logo in place of "NC State" on the chest, while their secondary wolf head logo is used on the helmets.

v5ZWuvS.png

AWZIEb9.png

nkWu8qH.png

jksATer.png

• mahnkej changed the title to NCAA Football Concepts (Part 57 - Boston College Eagles)

Boston College Eagles

Adidas definitely did the right thing by switching BC back to a classic look - the whole Under Armour experiment was less than ideal. I stuck with a traditional sort of look with these, with the classic BC logo on the sleeves and Boston College's proprietary font for the numbers. And of course, the excellent throwback jerseys are retained.

Some additional touches include: 

• Single red stripe on the helmets and pants becomes standard
  • "Eagles" wordmark is added to the chest
  • Special Edition jerseys in honor of fallen BC alum/legendary badass Welles Crowther are retained, with some of my own tweaks added

jKaBflu.png

0lLQOBB.png

ogGHbYH.png

jeLnjTt.png

• mahnkej changed the title to NCAA Football Concepts (Part 58 - Pittsburgh Panthers)

Pittsburgh Panthers

Almost finished with the ACC now, next up is the Pittsburgh Panthers. I love the move back to their classic colors they made a couple years back, however, I'm not a big fan of their cathedral themed  number font. As such, I used their secondary font style instead.

Home uniforms get white numbers with gold trim, and all jerseys now use blue trim on the sleeve caps + collars. Alternates include a gold jersey w/ sky blue pants and helmet, plus a second alternate based on their previous-generation uniform + color scheme.

3hFjXYL.png

M2YRXWl.png

3a5SWhv.png

DxuXIcK.png

Louisville Cardinals

I updated these to include TV numbers on the shoulders, as well as redoing the sublimated bird wing pattern on the jerseys (currently it takes up the whole front of the unis, on these they're limited to the sleeves only). I also introduced a 2nd alternate jersey, using an Old English font based on Louisville's secondary "L" logo. 

V9TlNjt.png

VtI7IPH.png

AJxVWEV.png

cZjeEIO.png

• mahnkej changed the title to NCAA Football Concepts (Part 59 - Louisville Cardinals)

Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets

Last team up in the ACC, I'll finish things off with Georgia Tech. The Yellow Jackets have a great color scheme and some unique features.... but overall, the look is a little underwhelming IMHO. The "stinger stripes" on the jerseys and pants don't really work for me. I tweaked these to include a new number font, used the same jersey style as their excellent Black Watch throwback uniforms, and changed the pants striping to match the jerseys. I also  included the secondary "Buzz" logo on the back necklines.

Dwkvq0k.png

1dtjbJ7.png

her15qk.png

DMvMsHu.png

FhvDQCj.png

• mahnkej changed the title to NCAA Football Concepts (Part 60 - Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets)

West Virginia Mountaineers

In the home stretch now, I'll finish out the series with the remaining teams of the Big 12 Conference.

First one up is West Virginia. This is another uniform that I feel got "Nike-fied" (i.e., create a custom number font, make the rest of the jersey really boring, and call it a day) so I set out to make these a little more unique. I came up with an idea to blend the "WV" logo into a 2-stripe pattern on the sleeves and pants (kind of like what the Seahawks did on their old uniforms). I also added gold trim to the numbers on the road uniforms. Helmets stay as is. 

5XFg6kg.png

89rHSh2.png

ByGBX4U.png

rkpCuBE.png

• mahnkej changed the title to NCAA Football Concepts (Part 61 - West Virginia Mountaineers)

Iowa State Cyclones

For these, I took inspiration from the striping pattern from the Cyclones men's basketball uniforms. I revamped the jerseys and pants, while keeping the helmet mostly as is. I also added gold and black alternate uniforms featuring different Iowa State logos on the helmets, and added their classic Jack Trice patch to the pants. The goal here was to create something more unique, without being too flashy/ridiculous. 

chKr50B.png

X9MWIz4.png

yLJE3KC.png

g5uyTUW.png

• mahnkej changed the title to NCAA Football Concepts (Part 62 - Iowa State Cyclones)

Kansas Jayhawks

I added some additional striping to liven this set up (as well as to make the beautiful crimson and blue colors really pop). I also added striping on the pants, dumped the red pants, and added in a cream colored 2nd alternate uniform based on the much, MUCH more successful men's basketball team

Jayhawks football may very well be the biggest s**tshow in D1 right now,  but at least they'll look good doing it. 

wMIWPaI.png

UM5e1Qc.png

Ev5oVkf.png

p74g48l.png

• mahnkej changed the title to NCAA Football Concepts (Part 63 - Kansas Jayhawks)
  • 2 weeks later...

Oklahoma State Cowboys

Another unique and interesting set that's been a bit hit-or-miss. Lately, it seems OSU has entered into Oregon Ducks territory (i.e. wearing a different uniform combination every single week, trying to do a million different things with their helmets, etc.) so I think simplifying things a bit would do wonders. Some of the changes I made were as follows: 

• Number font is tweaked
  • Cursive "Cowboys" wordmark is added to the chest area
  • Barbed wire pattern is used as an accent on  the helmets
  • Vertical "Cowboys" script is dropped from the pants, and the previous generation 2-stripe pattern is used in its place
  • Secondary Pistol Pete logo is dropped from the pants, and is only used as a decal option on the helmets

Additionally, The Pokes' excellent Barry Sanders-era throwback jerseys are retained.

pFH6zuY.png

4z4DnXt.png

LcUWC2r.png

jXy5yrL.png

zgjfXZD.png

• mahnkej changed the title to NCAA Football Concepts (Part 64 - Oklahoma State Cowboys)
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2022 at 1:51 PM, Ellitot18 said:

Looking really great so far! Any ideas on what's next?

Thanks, I appreciate it! Just finishing up this series for now; possibly doing the rest of the FBS or an MLB series at some point this year. Main limitation is just finding the time. 

Baylor Bears

I can definitely appreciate Baylor's decision to unify their brand a couple years back. Their new look is super clean, and I absolutely prefer their current shades of green and gold over the old ones. However, I do feel like their football jerseys overall took a major regression. They went from something really popular and unique to something that (apart from the colors) is really generic and boring. I aimed to correct this.

Changes I made were as follows:

• Added a tapered stripe to the pants
  • Added a sublimated bear paw logo + TV numbers to the sleeves
  • Added gold number trim on the white road jerseys
  • Taking a cue from the men's basketball team, I added an all-black alternate uniform featuring neon green, glow-in-the-dark numbering

irBSGnm.png

NJqyET4.png

yeqEnEG.png

qIDRgL7.png

• mahnkej changed the title to NCAA Football Concepts (Part 65 - Baylor Bears)

Texas Tech Red Raiders

I like the split stripe motif from their helmets and pants, but feel like the sleeves on the current jersey are a really awkward way to try and incorporate it. For my iteration, I switched the stripe to run across the shoulders, and also added their secondary Red Raider logo on the sleeves. Texas Tech's excellent throwback uniforms are retained as an alternate look. 

zJNLQB9.png

SJxGEn7.png

T2F08Tc.png

hQkP1QC.png

Archived